Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adjusting vibe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
ck72

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: San Marino CKX
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Posted Mon Apr 4, 2005, 3:11pm
Subject: Re: Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines

strugs Said:

here is the pic

Posted November 21, 2004 link

just so that I am clear the two valves that need to be adusted are the ones with a large flat screw, sorry for my ignorance
 View Profile Link to this post
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Mon Apr 4, 2005, 7:44pm

ck72 Said:

just so that I am clear the two valves that need to be adusted are the ones with a large flat screw, sorry for my ignorance

Posted April 4, 2005 link

Yes - the two cylindrical brass screw thingamijigs.  Make sure you have a pressure guage - that is the best advice I can give you.  Otherwise, you will royally screw things up.  Have fun.

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ck72

Espresso: San Marino CKX
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Posted Mon Apr 4, 2005, 9:34pm

thanks for that I have the pressure gauge....will give it a go
CrackAddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar
Grinder: Minoka
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 5:57am

A note that may help some Expobar neophytes like myself.

The pressure adjustment (in my Office Control) is a white plastic screw inside a brass three-way fitting on the outlet of the vibe pump (red plastic inside a metal holder).

It's about a 1/4" screw with a very fine slot - most screwdrivers wide enough to fit across will have a blade too thick to fit in the slot. You may want to file down a cheap stubby slot screwdriver for adjustments.

My "shipped" pressure was almost 14 bar (measured with a portafilter gauge). I have turned it down to 10 (about 1.5 turns counterclockwise) and will report on the results later.

I also followed the suggestion to reroute the overflow back to the reservoir as I live in a very hard water area and use Volvic bottled water in the machine. Supposedly Volvic is soft enough to minimize scaling problems.
Confusedguy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carreza
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 2:23pm

When I tried to adjust the pressure down on my Quickmill Eliane, I found I had to back the threads almost to the point where where the fitting came off. I removed the nut and spring and and filed down the end of the spring, probably less than a mm. I was then able to get the desired pressure (9.5) without risking the screw falling off. I agree that the adjustment is non-linear. Originally mine was up at about 16!
Russell
mayong_md

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 6:45am
Subject: Where is the OPV on a Grimac Mia ELE?

]]Hello. Sorry to revive an old thread.

I got to reading about brew pressures and HX machines, and found this thread.

I have a Grimac Mia Electronic version. I decided to open the machine to try the OPV volume runoff method of "estimating" brew pressure. I locked a blind PF and turned on the brew button. The pump came on, after 6-8 sec, the pump became quiet as it labored through the blind PF, the beeping - with a flashing light from the brew button. After 20-25 sec of this beeping, I decided to turn the brew button off. I did NOT see water coming out of the return to tank hose. From the readings, it was mentioned that if little (<2oz/25-30sec) or NO water comes out, then the OPV was adjusted high from the factory.

I looked for the OPV, taking note of the pics of the different OPVs of different machines. I found a pic from the La Valentina - a Grimac Machine, I believe, and used this as a guide to identifying mine. I followed the outflow tube, and the tube was attached to this:

Click Here (i756.photobucket.com)

Click Here (i756.photobucket.com)

Instead of just a barrel, several fittings are seen attached to a brass block. The outflow tubing attaches to this block as well. I don't see the nut I need to adjust to release pressure. Behind the block, in this pic, is a sort of switch. Maybe a pressure sensor that sets off the beeping when pump pressure is exceeded?

Hope you can help me identify where the OPV is in the MIA.

Thank you,
Mario
lotusblackbox
lotusblackbox
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 8:23am

It's beginning to sound like the dream machine not only has perfect temp stability with the ability to set a desired temp but also a controled ramp down of extraction pressure.  Also with the ability to set a pressure profile.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adjusting vibe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41218996048)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+