Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bezzera owners thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 28 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mattybk

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 8:42am
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread

Hi

I am a UK based BZ99 owner.

I would like to buy a bottomless portafilter but cannot find anyone who  sells one in the UK that will definitely fit my Bz99. Not sure if one marked for another model eg BZ35 would work. Very difficult to get a clear answer from web resources.

Can anyone recommend a product?

mattybk
 View Profile Link to this post
cguser

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: BZ07
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 5:17pm

Just got my new BZ07 (full-auto, single gauge, no PID) and getting into exploring the possibilities...

1) Can one use a 2- or 3-shot basket for a single shot? I saw some conflicting information about this, and wanted to double check.

2) What is the purpose of a "blind" filter?

3) Does a BZ07 need pre-flushing, and, if yes, for how long?

4) What are my options to adjust pressure and temperature, if ever needed?

Thanks!

Expertise: -1 on 0 to 10 scale
Lyvyo
Lyvyo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10
Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 6:38pm

For answers at most of these questions read the previous page.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IB
IB

Espresso: Kim Lever, Bezzera BZ07
Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 6:53pm
Subject: welcome cguser

Hi cguser,
I own the non-dosing version of the same machine.
I'll take a stab at your questions - but first let me encourage you to read through this owners thread diligently from the beginning, some of your concerns are already answered here.  Also, read the owners manual  - it's brief and not super detailed, but since you are asking about the purpose of the blank filter, I'm concerned that you will neglect some basic maintenance if you don't read the manual.

1. Going up one basket size has been working fine for me, since the machine does like a little extra head-space above the puck.  Not sure you would especially need a triple basket for a single, but you can certainly experiment with that and see what you get in the cup.  I use a triple basket to pull doubles -  with a bottomless or sometimes I put the triple into the stock handle that came with the machine to split the shot.  Also the strada 17gr basket fits well and i've had good results with that.

2.  You should be using the blind to do the critical cleaning maintenance that any machine of this sort needs - plain water flushes after each session and flushing with an appropriate cleaning product around once a week.  I'm not going to go into detail cause it's in the manual and easy to find instructions all over the web - but - get your flush on dude!

3 - Read through the thread for info on this.  To summarize, try either a sort 3-5 second flush, then lock and go, or try without the flush if flushing gives you sour shots.  If you change beans/roasts then revisit those options if needed.

4.Pressure - mainly controlled by dose and grind and tamp.  Owner could adjust the opv if needed (again read the thread here, you'll see some info about that)  to change the  high-limit of the pump. You would need a portafilter mounted gauge for that process.  Temp - would be adjusted inside the machine by altering the pressure-stat setting.  But in daily use, of course flushing lets you adjust temp.
On a related note, since you are just starting - make sure that the portafilter is HOT, like hot so you don't want to touch it...makes a big difference and folks overlook it at first sometimes.

Take your time and focus on the fundamentals of quality fresh coffee, grind/dose etc.

best,
isaac
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 7:12pm
Subject: welcome cguser

1.) Why even try?  Single shots aren't easy to get right even with the single basket designed for the purpose.  A double shot is most everyone's standard because it is much easier to work with and a double is still a pretty small dose.  Use the triple if the double is not strong enough for you. You can't up-dose the double to achieve the same because you won't leave enough room between the coffee bed and the dispersion screen.

2.) The blind filter is used to clean the shower screen and dispersion disk periodically.  Put a pinch of espresso machine detergent in the filter and lock it into place.  Turn on the pump as if brewing a shot and let pressure build.  When you turn off the pump the 3 way solenoid will open and the pressure will cause water and detergent to back-flow through the group head and flow through a tube to the drip tray.  You don't need to do this very often with detergent but it's a good idea to do it regularly with out; it will still flush fines out of the screen.  The detergent is used to get rid of coffee oils that have sat long enough to turn rancid causing off flavors. Don't use detergent too often as the oil "seasons" the group head.  The first pulls after using detergent might taste a little flat until more oil is deposited on surfaces then the oils will start staying in the beverage rather than sticking to the clean metal. I just back-flush with detergent when I notice an unusual taste in the coffee but do it daily without. I use a rubber disk to block the regular filter's screen, it's much easier than replacing the brew basket with the blind.

3.) Probably not much of a pre-flush needed.  See my discussion of the HX chamber design Bezzera uses a couple of posts back.  I flush my BZ40 a couple of seconds only to make sure everything is good and hot, let it recover while I prep the coffee then pull with no additional flushing.

4.) Why, something wrong?  I'm sure it's easy but unnecessary.  The people at Bezzera know what they are doing. Leave it alone. They set it right were it needs to be.  Once you are an expert you might think about adjusting the temperature for a certain blend but just enjoy it as is for awhile. You are unlikely to improve things until you get a little practice under your belt and the more adjustments you make the more confusing things will be.
cguser

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 9:40pm
Subject: Re: welcome cguser

Thank you, fellows, for the information and for the warm welcome! I am sure I will find answers to most my concerns here; will keep reading.

As of detergent for back-flushes: any particular type recommended?

-cg

cguser

Posted Thu Dec 8, 2011, 12:55pm

IB Said:

... Also, read the owners manual  - it's brief and not super detailed, but since you are asking about the purpose of the blank filter, I'm concerned that you will neglect some basic maintenance if you don't read the manual. ...

Posted December 6, 2011 link

Oddly, the manual does not mention anything about back flushes or the blind filter, at least the English portion of the printed book that I got. The latest online version does, however, but only suggests a weekly routine. (pg 26, section 6.2, pos. 3)

Anyhow, I am happily backflushing now pretty much after each shot, thanks!

IB
IB

Espresso: Kim Lever, Bezzera BZ07
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2011, 3:28pm

cguser Said:

Anyhow, I am happily backflushing now pretty much after each shot, thanks!

Posted December 8, 2011 link

Not that it will hurt anything, but you probably don't need to be quite that fastidious!

cguser Said:

As of detergent for back-flushes: any particular type recommended?

-cg

Posted December 6, 2011 link

I've been using the Full Circle product sold by Chris Coffee...probably anything from one of the  top notch equipment vendors is fine.

A few related notes...it's nice to have the bottomless handle because you can pop various baskets in and out, including the blank, by just pressing on the bottom of the basket...no need to pry with a spoon, etc.  Also, the cafelat group head brush  that Chris Coffee sells  (the one that 'locks in' sort of like a portafiler) is very nice to have IMO...much better than a standard brush for getting at all the surfaces.
cguser

Posted Fri Dec 9, 2011, 3:02pm

IB Said:

I've been using the Full Circle product sold by Chris Coffee...probably anything from one of the  top notch equipment vendors is fine.

A few related notes...it's nice to have the bottomless handle because you can pop various baskets in and out, including the blank, by just pressing on the bottom of the basket...no need to pry with a spoon, etc.  Also, the cafelat group head brush  that Chris Coffee sells  (the one that 'locks in' sort of like a portafiler) is very nice to have IMO...much better than a standard brush for getting at all the surfaces.

Posted December 8, 2011 link

Thank you, Isaac! This is very helpful.

walkerjohn

Location: Prague, Czech Republic, Europe, Earth, Solar system of milky way
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10
Grinder: Eureka mignon
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: nope
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 5:23am
Subject: VST basket

gentlemen, i did not find any relevant info so trying to ask here:
Does the 22g VST basket fit in bezzera standart doubleshot handle? or do i have to use something of a bigger one?
showing page 28 of 39 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.408751010895)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+