Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners-Please speak up!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 23 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
newf

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Feb 25, 2010, 3:39pm
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto Owners-Please speak up!

Okay so it has taken me quite awhile to get the machine fixed and get back to you folks.
Long story short there was a largish flake of metal stuck in the anti backflow valve which was keeping the valve open. With simple tools and simple mechanical skills it was fixed in no time. The machine is back to preforming just as new!
Mucho thanks to the suggestions here and very big thanks to Tim one of the tech guys at Chris' Coffee.
Travis
 View Profile Link to this post
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 3:26am

Is it okay to raise the steam boiler pressure to 1.4 bar on the original Duetto?

Also, I don't like to cross-post, but I figured it was worth asking if I was posting in the thread anyway.  Is what I'm hearing in this video normal, Dave?  Someone on the other site suggested air in the lines, and that it only happens when running off the internal reservoir.  It's a pretty jarring noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48dw6n8LJs

Chris
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 7:53am

Bob_McBob Said:

Is it okay to raise the steam boiler pressure to 1.4 bar on the original Duetto?

Also, I don't like to cross-post, but I figured it was worth asking if I was posting in the thread anyway.  Is what I'm hearing in this video normal, Dave?  Someone on the other site suggested air in the lines, and that it only happens when running off the internal reservoir.  It's a pretty jarring noise.

Posted March 16, 2010 link

Well bob I run mine at about 1.3 bar (and have run at 1.4 bar),  but I do have additional ventilation above my gicar PID and also better than the standard factory insulation on my steam boiler. I also run as a matter of course with the steam boiler off. If you check the coffeetime wiki ensure you add the extra ventilation/insulation (use the improved insulation of the fleece pond liner folded with a layer of foil) you should be OK, but, I am surprised you want 1.4 bar. The pressure/temp limit on the current dual PID Duettos (if that is what is worrying you), is a figure I pulled out of my engineers hat for Izzo as something I felt would be thermally prudent.

You probably did the right thing to cross post, because I don't bother replying to anything I read on Home Barista....just not worth the hassle.

No it's not normal, mine doesn't do it (even after 4 hours or more left untouched), but I suspect your water is hard, you use a jug filter, or other contaminants within the water if it's not hard.....either way, it's probably the anti backflow valve letting by a little. This could also be coupled with slight leakage in the group number 1 valve.. Easiest way to resolve might be to try a brew path descale. I can simulate your noise by lifting my feed pipe out of the water tank and shaking it to get the water out, I will then get the same sound as you.

You can do a quick check to see if I am right, simply set your PID to off with the machine cold (press and hold rh button), pull a shot and leave the machine for the appropriate length of time and then pull a blank again........, you should get no noise.

Dave
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 8:30am

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.  The water in the area is quite hard, but everyone here uses a softener.  It shows up as "soft" on test strips, but I don't know the pH or any other details.  I get scale in the kettle and my hot water dispenser fairly quickly, though.

I did descale both boilers only a couple of weeks ago.  Is there a different procedure to descale the brew path?

Chris
DavecUK

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 9:07am

It's all in the Wiki, but if you descaled, I wonder if your problems started after the descale, perhaps a lose bit of scale lodged somewhere, or a piece of crud.

The problem with a softener is that although better than hard water, there are still many other contaminants. In addition if your kettle is scaling then your softner isn't doing it's job!

I keep on about RO water that's then bicarb treated, I have a whole house softener at home, but still use treated RO water for the Duetto. Almost 99% of coffee machine problem are in some way related to water quality, hard, crap in the water whatever. People bang on about taste and other things, but that can all be remedied, plus the coffee tastes better from a machine that works, than one that doesn't.
MrShades

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 2:45pm

DavecUK Said:

It's all in the Wiki, but if you descaled, I wonder if your problems started after the descale, perhaps a lose bit of scale lodged somewhere, or a piece of crud.

The problem with a softener is that although better than hard water, there are still many other contaminants. In addition if your kettle is scaling then your softner isn't doing it's job!

I keep on about RO water that's then bicarb treated, I have a whole house softener at home, but still use treated RO water for the Duetto. Almost 99% of coffee machine problem are in some way related to water quality, hard, crap in the water whatever. People bang on about taste and other things, but that can all be remedied, plus the coffee tastes better from a machine that works, than one that doesn't.

Dave,

I'm looking for a good solution to providing my Duetto with the quality of water it really needs. I'm finding it difficult to decide between filtering and RO - it seems you prefer the RO route...???

RO appears to have plus points and minus points - same as proper filtering (as opposed to Brita jugs) - weighing up the one over the other is doing my head in!!!

I was starting to lean towards the Brita Purity C system, which looks good and appears quite cost effective. However, with you being the defacto expert on all things Duetto and obviously favouring an RO system I'm now in limbo!

Can you offer any advice or argument to finally convince me which way to go please? Ultimately, what will my Duetto be happiest with?

I'm struggling to get SHMBO to allow me to plumb the machine in, so I'm pouring over for the time being.... and as I'm only doing 2 or 3 double shots a day it's not an issue. However, I have limited space in my undersink cupboard for large RO storage vessels etc. and the Purity C stuff looks very compact - hence my leaning towards it.

What RO kit do you use (if you don't mind me asking)? There are many different ones - most cost effectively available on eBay - any issue with using any of these, especially those without large external storage vessels? 3 filter, 2 filter, etc. etc. all very complicated!

Any and all help you can give would be very much appreciated...

Shades
DavecUK

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 11:39pm

I use RO for all drinking water in our house. I have read an awful lot of nonsense about RO water on the internet, plus some pseudo science about how it demineralises the body, how the shape of the water molecule is changed by the RO process etc.. etc..

I have been quite clear in the Wiki articles about my reasons for preferring to use treated RO water in my espresso machines and the systems I use are linked to in the articles....for my own needs a 5 stage fully pumped system with storage tank works well. All my friends after making the change to RO water enjoy zero scale related problems with their machine. Unfortunately a lot of people are not even aware of scale related problems until they become quite obvious or cause more serious symptoms. In addition descaling (that little death to the machine each time you do it) becomes a thing of the past.

I don't get machine problems, because almost all problems are scale related, including much early failure of components. I can't really convince you one way or another, you need to convince yourself. If you try treated RO water and can taste a huge problem in the coffee you produce then you need to find a different solution. If all the stuff you read on forums confuses you, it's a fact of life that 100s of people will disagree with everything I have said, such is the nature of forums.

P.S. A mate of mine uses a very compact non pumped system with only a few filters and no storage tank for his machines water.....takes a while to fill the containers, but preserves cupboard space.
MrShades

Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed Mar 17, 2010, 3:41am

Thanks very much for that - very helpful.  If I can trouble you and quiz you a little further (I've tried calling Vyair for help, but they seem to be on holiday or something!)

So - if I'm going down the RO route, do I NEED to soften as well - I assumed that the RO process would effectively soften at the same time?

You mentioned your mates system, which sounds ideal - is it something like this one:

http://www.vyair.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=54

Looks VERY cost effective, any downsides to it that you can see (other than fill rate?). Could well be the direction I'm leaning in now...

Sorry to be a pain and keep quizzing you Dave, and thanks for the help. If you'd rather respond by email and keep it off here then please do so - though I think this is probably of interest to all Duetto owners (nay, all Alex owners... heck, all Izzo owners!) - I know I've been looking for good info on it for ages....

Shades
Masterdebater

Grinder: Mazzer Mini E - Type B
Vac Pot: Looking
Drip: What is that?
Roaster: Considering
Posted Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:11am

Bob_McBob Said:

I hear that as well with my duetto II, particularly if has sat for a bit. I have strictly used RO water from new. I summed it up to air getting in somehow through the intake hoses but really, unless it is running completely dry or I am pulling them out of the reservoir, there should be no air introduced that way. I fill the reservoir with a funnel so I never remove the hoses/reservoir. hmmm....
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob

Posted Wed Mar 17, 2010, 11:20am

I haven't tried Dave's test yet, but it occurred to me that I don't get the noise EVERY time I use the machine after it's been idling.  It's fairly unpredictable, which means I'd probably have to follow some kind of experimental protocol to actually get any meaningful data.  I've used the machine three times so far today, and it hasn't made the "pumping air" noise yet.

I also fill my reservoir with a funnel and never remove the hoses.  Like Dave, I tried shaking the water out of the inlet hose and running the pump, and I got the same noise, except louder and for much longer.

Chris
showing page 8 of 23 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.470999002457)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+