Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio 3 Hole Steam Tip for Miss Silvia
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio 3 Hole...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lefty69

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Melitta Clarity,
Roaster: GG/SC Combo, Behmor
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 1:51pm
Subject: Rancilio 3 Hole Steam Tip for Miss Silvia

Has anyone had any experience with the 3-hole steam tip offered by WLL or any other retailer?  I have had good results trying to microfoam milk wit hthe stock wand, but not all of the time.

I assume the holes on the 3-hole are smaller than the stock tip on the Silvia, so as not to release too much steam too quickly.

Also does the 3-hole extend the length of the steam wand?

Thanks for all of the help!!!!

Eric
 View Profile Link to this post
Ron_L
Ron_L

Espresso: Izzo Alex MK II
Grinder: LSM SM90, SMP
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex. Clarity
Roaster: RK Drum, Gene, SC/GG, P1 x2,...
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 5:46pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio 3 Hole Steam Tip for Miss Silvia

Lefty69 Said:

Has anyone had any experience with the 3-hole steam tip offered by WLL or any other retailer?  I have had good results trying to microfoam milk wit hthe stock wand, but not all of the time.

I assume the holes on the 3-hole are smaller than the stock tip on the Silvia, so as not to release too much steam too quickly.

Also does the 3-hole extend the length of the steam wand?

Thanks for all of the help!!!!

Eric

Posted April 25, 2004 link

Hi Eric...  I bought the three hole tip from WLL and used it for a week and then took it off...  It has three small hols that shoot out almost perpendicular to the wand, so it made it difficult to get the milk to swirl after stretching, and I ended up with foam that was more like soap bubbles instead of microfoam.  I get better results with the stock tip...

If you want to try it, just send me your address via e-mail and I'll send it to you...  Its just sitting in my accessory drawer right now...

...ron

...ron

Ron Lewen

Izzo Alex Users Forum
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/izzo_alex?hl=en
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
vo
vo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Lux
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 6:43pm

Hi Eric,

I also ordered the 3 hole tip from WWL  and had it shipped here to Australia -  firsthe little rubber o-ring broke.  WLL didnt care.  Had trouble getting one to fit and when I finally got it on the machine - I didnt like it.   Within a few days, back to the original tip.  The 3-hole  heats the milk too fast, so not a lot of time to stretch.   Yes it does extend the stream wand slightly - and it looked good  but I can get  better microfoam with the original tip.
My advice - dont bother.

Cheers,  Vicki
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Swannie

Espresso: Expobar Lever
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Braun
Roaster: Home Made 1lb. Gas
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 7:04pm

Lefty,
I too was working on consistent foam and wondered if a 3 hole tip for my Expobar would improve my abilities after reading a review on WLL. ( Much like thinking a new putter will get that golf ball in the hole) So I purchased an S24 tip.  I have to admit I did not spend much time with it because it cut my steaming time in a half and I thought my chances of actually making good foam were impaired with the three hole tip.  I suppose I could have throttled the steam back to some point but since my foam was so much less I didn't waste anymore time on it. That coupled with the fact that I figured the vendor probably figured the single worked good otherwise they would have given me one.

Sometime ago we were discussing this in A.C. and a women suggested trying to froth with water and watching the agitation patterns. I had been fairly close where I was but after trying this I changed the angle at which I hold the pitcher to the wand and this seemed to improve my frothing noticeably.

I have spent what I consider a lot of time trying to perfect this since  and I still don't have it perfected but it comes easier. I only make one cappa at a time and I believe frothing smaller amounts of milk is more difficult due to the temp rise of the quantity. Also I think a lot of people struggle with this until they get it worked out. Some like to hold the pitcher still, some keep lowering it, etc.

I now put my pitchers in the freezer, that seems to help.  I have a wierd angle  I hold the pitcher at, that seems to help.

I can tell you that the Mr. Coffee machine I started out with had a plastic three hole tip on the steam wand and it seemed to help although I didn't really know much about microfoam then.

Yes the holes are smaller. A toothpick goes in half as far.

No, it did not lengthen the wand. It is exactly the same lenght as my single hole.

Mark
korngold
korngold

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: WE Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 8:06pm

Eric,

I have the 3-hole tip from 1st-line.com, and I think it works pretty well.  I think this topic is interesting because Rancilio put (essentially) the same boiler in the Silvia and the Audrey (as well as the Lucy and Kathy), but they put a skinny wand with a single-hole on the Silvia and Lucy, and put a larger diameter wand and 3-hole tip on the Audrey and Kathy models.  And, ironically, most people are afraid to deviate from Silvia's stock tip because it's what Rancilio put on there, so "it must work the best," at least that seems to be the standard response.   I think it's just that once you're used to the 1 hole tip, it takes a change in technique/routine to get used to (any of) the 3 hole tip(s).

Before I bought the Silvia, I owned a Rialto/Audrey, and I think it was much easier to get microfoam with Audrey.  So, after a while with Silvia, I decided to upgrade to the 3-hole tip.  It steams a bit more like steaming with Audrey, but with greater power (I attribute this to the fact that my Audrey was probably 8-10 years old & Silvia is brand new).  The good points about the 1st-line tip are:
1) The holes are aimed at an angle (seems to be about 30 south of horizontal, but I'll have to check tomorrow)
2) The tip is one solid piece of metal (brass, I believe).  This prevents gunk from being caught in the rubber O ring, like on some other 3 hole tip adapters
3) Froths quickly
4) It's only $4.95

However, the difficult thing is that it is only available to 1st-line customers who bought Silvia there.  If you bought or are considering purchasing your Silvia at 1st-line, I definitely think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you will need to learn to froth differently.  Silvia does froth more quickly with this tip, and you will need to adjust your technique accordingly.  It's almost better to get the tip when you buy your machine, so you don't have to completely change your technique/routine.  

However, I'll confess that I actually bought a commercial steamer at the same time I bought the 3 hole tip, so I haven't completely "put it throught the paces," so to speak.  I used it for a couple days before my steamer arrived.   I bought the steamer in order to steam & brew simultaneously, which is great, and I can leave Silvia on "brew" permanently.  Although, after using the steamer, it's really hard to get anything to compare to the tight microfoam I can get using the steamer.  The steamer I have came stock with a 7 hole tip (7 very small diameter holes) and creates the tightest, glossiest microfoam I've ever seen.  I'll try to do some frothing with the 3-hole Silvia tip tomorrow, and I'll post back my results tomorrow or Tuesday.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
pablo_max

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Scooby-do air popper!
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 5:56am

7 hole tip? thats a lot of holes.
I am trying to find a new tip for my S26. Its got a 4 hole on it. I thought before it was a 3 hole and then I actually looked at it. Four fairly large diameter holes. Its seems impossible to get milk to swirl with it. Plus it heats 16 onces of milk in about 20 secs.
Sure would be nice to find a tip that made it easier. I have a local parts and repair place that I will try. They are also a roaster. Have not tried them though as Intella is so close.
Lefty69

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Melitta Clarity,
Roaster: GG/SC Combo, Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 1:15pm

Ron,  I will email you my address soon.  Thanks for the offer!!!  I am interested in trying the tip.

I'm guessing that the results will be the same as if I were looking for a new putter,(Mark!!!),  The saying goes 'its usually not the arrows but the indian!!!!!

Thanks for all the comments!!!!

Eric
zeitlerd

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 9:41pm

I've been using a three hole tip on Silvia  since I purchased it from WLL about 6 months ago. I find that it works best  when I hold the pitcher at about a 30 degree angle. The milk has a nice swirling motion and I usually don't get large bubbles. The negative side is that the milk heats up very quickly.
pillguy

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, with doser
Posted Wed Aug 11, 2004, 4:24am

I used the 3 hole from WLL for a week.  I took it off.  Here are the issues I had.

1.  horizontal steam shoots water when I am getting rid of the excess water after brewing.
  2.  No swirling at all.  There is just not enough pressure behind 3 holes to get the milk moving
  3.  I would say it is like a Panarello wand.  You just throw it in the milk, and you get foam.  Not good foam, but foam nonetheless.  

This might be a good tip for someone that just wants a drink, and is not looking for any type of foam perfection.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio 3 Hole...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377686023712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+