Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bezzera owners thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 36 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
actionhost

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 20, 2010, 12:30pm
Subject: Re: Bezzera owners thread

Hey Boxta,

You r right, that was the plan. Right untill I saw a secondhand 11 month old Bezzera for 600 euro's. That was a lot better then 1300 euro for the (new) Expobar!
It was a budget thing. But I do not have any regrets yet! I actually mentioned my purchase of the Bezzie on HB.

Let me know how your 2 tip works out. My milk is OK with the 4 tip, but not more then OK an the moment. It should be much better. I also prefer an idiot proof milking haha.

And I am also very interested in the Vario experience, because that is the grinder I am planning to get!!
 View Profile Link to this post
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed Jun 9, 2010, 7:11am

Hi all.  I've been looking at the BZ07 for a while.  Love the look, the lever controls and great price point, but am concerned about the lack of mechanical pre-infusion.  I've read some comments saying while not the end of the world, it does make a good extraction a bit trickier (more prone to channeling, etc.).  Can anyone who's used an E61 or other group with pre-infusion comment in comparison, or how you current owners generally feel about the group.

Thanks, John.

[edited for spelling]

Living the caffeinated life.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 9, 2010, 7:49am

I've not used the Bezzera machines at all, but I have experience going from a non-E61 no preinfusion machine to an E61 machine and then to a non-E61 with both no preinfusion and timed preinfusion....

In my experience it doesn't make extractions any more difficult or more easy either way.  In fact, when I went from a vibe pump non-preinfusion-non-E61 to the preinfusion rotary E61 machine I couldn't tell any difference in the shots.  

If your machine uses a vibe pump (as opposed to a rotary pump) then it will have a sort of "built in" preinfusion anyway.  There are some machines with rotary pumps and very little flow restriction in the brew path and such machines would flood the puck with water more quickly and that might make a machine more finicky for dose, distribution, and tamp.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
soso

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: bezarra BZ70P
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 8:06am

I just changed the steam wand tip on my BZ07 to a 2 hole from the standard 4 hole it came with.. no problem changing it, but now it 'runs on' when I turn the steam off..ie...keeps on steaming for a second or so after I let the lever go.
I notice that the new tip (which is tight with no leaks) is quite a bit shorter than the original one, could this be a problem?

Would I be better to try to get a tip the same shape as the original, or even stop up a few holes in the original?
actionhost

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 10:47am

I have replaced the 4 hole with a 2 hole tip with the same shape. It doesn't run on as you say. Works perfect.

Steaming micro foam really is a lot easier then with the 4 tip monster. I had microfoam the first time I tried the 2-tip.

You can always try the toothpick :-)
soso

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: bezarra BZ70P
Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 9:12pm

I changed back to the 4 hole original and the run on has stopped..also found I can do about the same job with the 4 hole anyway.. must be getting used to it!

If I get a synesso triple basket should I get a bottomless portafilter to use with it.. I find it is very hard to use more than 14.5 to 15g coffee with the double basket..I am using a rancilio they sent to me as the tamper would not fit the bezzera double..The rancilio basket is slightly smaller than the bezzera basket.also I would not mind a slightly bigger shot.....

Am I right in thinking the triple basket will not fit in the standard portafilter?
furthur
furthur

Espresso: none
Grinder: Kitchenaid Proline
Drip: Melita
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2010, 2:34pm

We have a new BZ40 at work now, feeding it with a Mazzer mini.  First commercial machine I've spent any time with, and it takes some getting used to.  That steamer is so fast, you really have to have it together.  I can almost steam the milk before the shot finishes, if I start the shot first (I think it's the four hole tip).  I could finish steaming if I tightened up the grind, but the shots are coming out really nice at 17-18 sec...?  I flush it for a couple of seconds, then let it recover about 5-7 seconds...just long enough to lock in the PF, and hit it.  The shots look blond early, but I'm getting nice balance where it is, and the new bag of Kaladi Trieste is making some good shots at about 1.75 oz.

my $.02

John

If a little's good, a lot's better, and WAY too much is JUST RIGHT!
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jun 14, 2010, 4:19pm
Subject: Steam tip modification

Iím glad I just plugged a couple of holes in the steam tip on my BZ40. It did make learning to foam much easier.  The last time I took the tip off for cleaning I removed the plugs and for fun gave it a try without them.  To my surprise, I was able to produce the same quality of foam in a fraction of the time.  Think of the toothpick plugs as training wheels and I think you will be glad you chose that method.  If I had gotten the 2 hole plug I would probably never have thought about going back to stock.
masterbrewer

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07P
Roaster: iRoast II
Posted Sun Jun 20, 2010, 11:58am
Subject: BZ07 Baskets & Nekid PF

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any firm ideas on the best (or best fitting at least) double basket for the BZ07 stock pf? I understand the stock basket is leaning towards the small side of things and would prefer getting into the 18g range.

Is there is a good triple that will fit the stock portafilter? If not what's a good fitting bottomless for the BZ07?

marrahm: I found this you posted back in the winter, any updates or insights? You didn't really say if you had actually tried the triple basket in the stock pf, or if you replaced it with another bottomless? The extra-light tamp seems really odd but whatever works best for you, are you still doing this?

-the stock double basket is incredibly difficult to use. Its shape is such that a max of 14.0 grams of coffee can fit w/o screen contact with terrible shot quality and lots of channeling. Fix is easy. I ordered the following parts from EspressoParts (which I highly recommend):

1 (MZ_108) Triple Portafilter Basket
1 (C_256) Backflush Disk - Rubber (Blind Filter)
1 (MZ_107A) Ridgeless Marzocco/Synesso Style Double Portafilter Basket
1 (MZ_107) La Marzocco Double Portafilter Basket - L116/A

Both double baskets perform much better than the stock bz07 basket, but the ridged is incredibly difficult to get out of the PF handle and it rattles a bit when in. The triple basket is now my daily one with about 16 gr or so for a double shot. It gives the most flexibility in dosing and tamping while allowing a normal cushion on top of the puck. I doubt it would fit in a stock PF, however, as it is quite deep. nothing a $3 hole saw won't fix.

-The only way I have found to stop channeling is to grind fine and tamp lightly. I haven't weighed it, but I'd bet I tamp at 5-10 pounds now. a normal tamp that worked fine on my gaggia with the same grinder (mazzer SJ) almost always gives me some channeling on the bz07, even with the other baskets. I'd have to count, but I'd bet my current setting with week old beans is 10 or so ticks from burr contact, maybe a bit more. That is MUCH tighter than it was on the gaggia.

Cheers all :)

Make beer not war....
masterbrewer

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07P
Roaster: iRoast II
Posted Sat Jul 17, 2010, 8:01pm
Subject: Re: BZ07 Baskets & Nekid PF

Well, to answer some of my own questions:

- the Synesso 18g basket fits like a dream right into the stock PF without bottoming out or anything so that's a good option for anyone looking for a cheap and easy upgrade. Shots were instantly better.
- The (AS_59B) Astoria/RIO/Brasilia Factory Cut Bottomless Portafilter from Espresso Parts fits perfectly and also comes with a 21g giant triple basket which I haven't used yet since I'm so happy with the Synesso 18g.

Still working this machine out on the temp surfing et al, meanwhile enjoying some very nice shots with the standard 30 psi tamp.

Cheers all :)

Make beer not war....
showing page 12 of 36 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329785108566)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+