Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 11 last page next page
Author Messages
ee61
ee61
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 17, 2010, 5:10pm
Subject: Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione

Lord Have Mercy!  I was ordering a Alex Duetto II, then saw the Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione. The Evoluzione is so beautiful I cant hardly stand it.  I have been saving my money for 3 1/2 years for this espresso machine and recently decided on the *Vario grinder.  Now I have the money and cant decide what machine.  Where are all the Evoluzione owners?  I know there must be plenty owners out there because one company I contacted in Seattle is sold out.  

HX vs DB debate/confusion set aside.. The Evoluzione is so far and away sexier than any other machine I just might consider the challenge of a HX. Flushing/waiting/guessing..  I mean I saved all these years for a DB and always wanted the option to plumb or not plumb.. Now that the Evoluzione meets this criteria and its messing with my capability to make a decision something fierce.  

Can anyone give me some advice?  This confusion I have here is similar to stupidity.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
atccoffeehead

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Compak K3
Posted Thu Jun 17, 2010, 6:09pm
Subject: Re: Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione

I cant speak for the duetto (other than I have read rave reviews) but I love my giotto evoluzione. Pair it with a thermocouple adaptor, which you can get for about 100$, and you remove all the guesswork of the HX. I have had mine exactly 3 months and wouldnt have chosen anything different.

The aspect I value to most is the ability to switch it to plumb in at some future date (maybe when I stop spending money on espresso for long enough to afford a house!) People talk a lot about the 'external adjustability' of the grouphead pressure, but I wouldnt bother reading into that too much, I think its a set it and forget it type situation, and it requires a wrench anyways, so its not something you are going to do frequently.

Other than that, what can I tell you? It looks better in person than it does in pictures.  There was a thread about it on here somewhere, and there are a few other owners lurking around who Im sure will add their opinions.

Good luck with your descision!

Joe
 View Profile Link to this post
iDrinkCoffeeCanada

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP, Speedster,...
Grinder: Versalab, Robur E
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12
Posted Thu Jun 17, 2010, 6:19pm

I have used Rocket and the Evoluzione extensively and it is a very solid choice.  First, the aesthetics of Rocket are second to none; the Giotto is a very handsome unit that will be the centre piece of your kitchen.  2nd the quality of the workmanship is exceptional in Rocket, as are the materials.  The 1.8 litre boiler is nickel plated to prevent copper oxidization, the stainless steel is high grade, it has a commercial pressure stat etc.

Plumbing a machine in is definitely the way to go if you have the means because you never have a wasted shot when you run low on water and your water is always cold and fresh.  The Evoluzione lets you run as a pour over util you are ready to plumb with either option control ed by the flick of switch.

That being said the Duetto is a great machine too.  My personal preferences for home use is towards HX and not DB but I am sure that has been spoken about at length on this forum as well as many others.

SJ

Find www.iDrinkCoffee.com on facebook and become a fan for deals, contests and more.
nixter

Espresso: Giotto Evoluzione, Oscar Pro
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jun 17, 2010, 7:52pm

Just picked one up last week and love it. I also have a Vario and an EricS adapter. I can't wait to spend a little time this weekend dialing in a good flush routine with the thermometer. The craftsmanship of this machine is simply amazing. I've opened her up and had a look inside and the interior looks like it could take a few bullets and keeps going! Everything is large gauge and solid.
DavecUK

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 9:24am

ee61 Said:

Lord Have Mercy!  I was ordering a Alex Duetto II, then saw the Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione.

Can anyone give me some advice?  This confusion I have here is similar to stupidity.

Posted June 17, 2010 link

I reviewed both machines for a UK retailer, why don't you take a look at the reviews and see if that helps.....they are quite comprehensive.

Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)
Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)

I used the Evolouzione for around 6 weeks and I own the first Duetto ever made. It's probably a great way to get a direct comparison from and experienced user, who has used both machines extensively.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 10:32am

ee61 Said:

. . . I just might consider the challenge of a HX.

Just remember, the hardest think about temperature surfing an HX is describing it . . . it's much easier to actually DO than it is to DESCRIBE.

As for the machines themselves, I have not used either one and so cannot comment directly.  However, let me make an indirect comment, if I may . . .

After you reach a certain monetary level, all the machine you look at are more than capable of providing you excellent quality shots, have enough steaming capacity, etc., etc.  In other words, the basics are taken care of.  This is why, beyond a certain point, aesthetics play an increasingly large role in decision making.  For example, if you read and compare the Home-Barista "Buyer’s Guide to the La Cimbali Junior DT1" and their "Buyer's Guide to the Elektra A3", you will find two incredibly similar machines in terms of workmanship, durability, etc., etc.  And indeed, I was torn between the two.  (The price differential was certainly in favor of the Cimbali -- by about $600, IIRC.)  But what swung me to making an Elektra my own?  Aesthetics.  After all, I was going to have to live that machine in my kitchen for ever . . . and I find the Elektra to have significantly more "eye-candy" appeal than the Cimbali.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Moorese

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Giotto
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 10:38am

While I don't have an Evoluzione, I do have a Giotto Premium Plus purchased back in Februray, and I'd love some advice for my newbie questions.  First, the above review suggests that pressure at the boiler should be set to 1.2 as opposed to 1.0, in part, to improve steaming/microfoaming (something I am still struggling with).  Any other thoughts on whether this is necessary?  Next, how easy is the Eric's adapter installation?  I'm not very mechanically inclined, and even less so in the company of the good folks on this board.  Thanks all.
ee61
ee61

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 10:44am

~DavecUK~

Those are two of the most helpful no-nonsense reviews I have ever seen on anything.  Period.  Thank you so much for giving me a perspective that translates into my home kitchen and what I can expect from either machine.  To say those reviews were priceless would still be an understatement.
MikeEye
MikeEye
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Eureka Zenith 65E
Roaster: Gene Cafe 101A
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 11:02am

ee61 Said:

Lord Have Mercy!  I was ordering a Alex Duetto II, then saw the Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione.

I had exactly the same quandary, and last Saturday went and looked at both machines in the metal.  I went with the Duetto and though it's early days can honestly say I love it!

My reasoning for choosing the Duetto over the Evoluzione was that although the Rocket does indeed look gorgeous, the Duetto isn't bad looking either.  Seeing them side by side in the shop, it was clear that either one was going to look stunning.  It therefore came down to being concerned that if I went for the Evolutione, I'd be getting upgrade fever down the line.

I upgraded from a Silvia, so either machine was going to be a big step forward, but I didn't want to be in the situation of wishing I'd gone for the the PID and dual boiler option.  I don't have experience of using an HX machine, so I couldn't be sure I would ever feel that way, but that was my concern.

Good luck deciding,

Mike
nixter

Espresso: Giotto Evoluzione, Oscar Pro
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 12:17pm

Moorese Said:

While I don't have an Evoluzione, I do have a Giotto Premium Plus purchased back in Februray, and I'd love some advice for my newbie questions.  First, the above review suggests that pressure at the boiler should be set to 1.2 as opposed to 1.0, in part, to improve steaming/microfoaming (something I am still struggling with).  Any other thoughts on whether this is necessary?  Next, how easy is the Eric's adapter installation?  I'm not very mechanically inclined, and even less so in the company of the good folks on this board.  Thanks all.

Posted June 18, 2010 link

Installation is quite simple. Read Eric's instruction carefully and you're done in less than 5 min.

I too wanted a double boiler with PID but after some careful thought and research I realized that a good HX with therm could actually provide more accurate temp control than a typical double boiler and PID.
showing page 1 of 11 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477736949921)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+