Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ee61
ee61
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione

nixter Said:

Installation is quite simple. Read Eric's instruction carefully and you're done in less than 5 min.

I too wanted a double boiler with PID but after some careful thought and research I realized that a good HX with therm could actually provide more accurate temp control than a typical double boiler and PID.

Posted June 18, 2010 link

Can you post a picture perhaps of the adapter installed?  Does the adapter turn the Evoluzione amazing looks into something different.. like an ugly step sister?

Can you specify which adapter you purchased.  I see Erics index has a DigThermAdptr3.pdf for the E61 groups, is this the correct adapter you used?  Are these adapter for e61 one size fits all or does Eric have different fittings for different e61 machines like Evoluzione?  Thanks for any clarification or photos.

This forum and the help around here is amazing and appreciated!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nixter

Espresso: Giotto Evoluzione, Oscar Pro
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 3:44pm

I will take a picture tonight. I believe there are basically 2 types, those for the Faema e61's and those for the Vibiemme e61's. Figure out which you need and you're good to go. Rocket/ECM uses a Faema group.

n
Check your email
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 4:32pm

Moorese Said:

While I don't have an Evoluzione, I do have a Giotto Premium Plus purchased back in Februray, and I'd love some advice for my newbie questions.  First, the above review suggests that pressure at the boiler should be set to 1.2 as opposed to 1.0, in part, to improve steaming/microfoaming (something I am still struggling with).

Posted June 18, 2010 link

I wrote the review and yes I made the suggestion (all machines I reviewed for the reseller will be shipped with the pressure set as I recommended). The reason I did so is based around the physics of the machine e.g. boiler size and steam tip type. The Brewtus used to come with a single hole steam tip (mebbe still does) and the steam boiler set around 1 bar. They had good reasons (which I won't get into) for setting the Steam boiler at 1 bar and hence the use of a single hole tip. The Giotto people also had reasons for making the steam pressure as low as they did, I strongly suspect those reasons were to make temperature management of the E61 group easier and reduce the flushing required. Unfortunately the machine does not steam well at 1.0 bar and will perform better at 1.2 or even 1.25 bar. This is especially true if you have the Sirai stat as it has a larger deadband than the MATERXP110. Temperature control is not a problem, you simply have to flush a little more in line other similar HX machines.

As always ensure that your reseller will still support the warranty if you make these changes.
nixter

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 4:41pm

I've already turned mine up to 1.1 but I may go higher. I wanted to make small adjustments initially. Getting a good milk swirl was tough at 1 bar.
Moorese

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Giotto
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Mon Jun 21, 2010, 9:53am

Thanks, Dave!  I'll have my retailer perform the adjustment since I know they consider it as voiding the warranty.  And Nixter, I'd love to see the picture as well.
ee61
ee61

Posted Tue Jun 22, 2010, 2:05pm

You guys are great, all these comments really do help!  However, I still have not ordered anything yet. I am still splitting the hairs I guess. What I really want is the Alex Duetto II on the inside and Giotto Evoluzione on the outside.   I mean could you just imagine that?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nixter

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 11:46pm

I'm trying to figure out if my Evo has a thermosyphon restrictor in it. I know that some of the units bound for australia do but I'm not sure about the north american market. Dave? If it does I may just turn the pstat back down so that it idles close to brew temp.
boyscout

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jun 27, 2010, 7:21am

ee61 Said:

You guys are great, all these comments really do help!  However, I still have not ordered anything yet. I am still splitting the hairs I guess. What I really want is the Alex Duetto II on the inside and Giotto Evoluzione on the outside.   I mean could you just imagine that?

Posted June 22, 2010 link

Jon, I had a Rocket Giotto Professional and can tell you that the beauty is more than skin deep.  The Rocket Giottos are exceptionally well-made machines with heavy, lustrous, high-quality stainless steel, very careful fitting and finishing, and the parts inside are carefully-chosen and meticulously-assembled.

However, just like a marriage, you need more than good looks to be successful, so don't choose between two very different approaches to making coffee - the double-boiler Duetto vs the heat-exchanger Giotto - on good looks alone.  Both can be used to make good coffee, but each has characteristics that are beneficial to certain types of users.

You can find debate - sometimes unfortunately nasty debate - elsewhere here on coffeegeek about the merits of each type of machine.  Here is one recent (so far) "nasty-free" discussion by double-boiler users:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/484198

You can find others if you search a bit.  And here is a good article on using an HX machine

http://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

Likewise, you can find other calm discussion about using HXs if you search here a bit.

Don't make the choice on pretty alone, as your machine may not seem as beautiful a few months down the road if you make the wrong choice for your lifestyle, your commitment to learning about the craft of espresso-making, and other factors.

Good luck.
vjhardcore
vjhardcore

Espresso: Rocket Giotto EVOLUZIONE,...
Grinder: Anfim
Posted Mon Jun 28, 2010, 1:52pm

I use to have a ECM Giotto Premium - 6 yrs of bliss except for having to replace the basic pressurestat 3 X?!

I sold it to one of best friends( to kept it close for monthly visits) when I ordered my Rocket Giotto EVO (I'm a huge BMW fan I like that EVO abbreviation, M3 EVO) Like the M3 - this machine is iconic in my opinion. I didn't need to replace my ECM Giotto - but I wanted a quieter machine with plumb in capabilities. I'm moving this week and hope to have my plumbing going by next week but up until now the last 3 months have be espresso nirvana.  

I love the machine - pretty much the same as my ECM in terms of quality of built. I like that its a little quieter, the gauges are a little cooler (think european sports car). The adjustabilty of the machine? Well I was concerned that the I wasn't in the "green" when pulling shots but I swear out of the box the same grind I was already using - the first pull after purdging and pre infusing was perfect.

The adjustability is more for frothing I think - which I have still yet to try. I'm a very ristrictto straight kinda guy.

I did have a slight leak from the "in" plumb line using as a pour over. This problem was promptly fixed by ROCKET thru IDrinkCoffee.Com by way of a small one way adaptor.

Next week - hopefully it'll be plumbed in which will yet again bring it to a new leave.

My opinion - buy one - you'll probably near buy another machine again!

"I'm a man of simple tastes, easily satisfied by the best" Winston Churchill
nixter

Posted Mon Jun 28, 2010, 6:49pm

Also a BMW fan here! I have a '93 M5. By any chance do you know if the EVO has a thermosyphon restrictor? What is your normal flush routine when the machine is all warmed up? I purchased Eric's thermocouple adapter that screws into the hex fitting in the neck of the grouphead. It's extremely handy for monitoring temp.
showing page 2 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426403045654)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+