Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gas Powered Machine For Mobile Coffee Bar - recomendations?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gas Powered...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Jeromesk8

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 7:05am
Subject: Gas Powered Machine For Mobile Coffee Bar - recomendations?

Hello.

I'm looking at building a mobile coffee cart and have been recommended that I go with a machine that uses has gas as opposed to electricty for mobility reasons and to avoid noisy generators.

I'm looking for 'duel fuel' as if there is an electricty supply on location, i would naturally like to option of using it.

I know an english company called Fracino who make these but I've not come accross any others.

Someone has mentioned that lever machines do use electricty but have some sort of internal electrical system which can run off a battery as opposed to an electrical generator?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jerome
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 8:37am
Subject: Re: Gas Powered Machine For Mobile Coffee Bar - recomendations?

Hello and welcome to CG!

As I am half a world away, I can't speak as to what machines are available to you in London but I can offer that I very much doubt that you would want to run a machine off batteries, the current draw would be huge and you would need a truck to haul around your "battery pack". Neither would you likely want to use a lever machine in a commercial operation, they are just not made for the kind of service and speed that you will require when there are 8 people lined up for drinks. In a commercial situation, you WILL need a commercial machine, if for nothing else than the health certs that come with commercial machines and that DO NOT come with home duty machines.

Most machines that run on gas, I think use LPG and as that fuel is very inexpensive, unless you have some venting issues with the exhaust gasses in a confined space, I would expect that you would use gas all the time.

There are a few members that should be close to you and may be able to help you with local vendors, or at least ones that are on the same land mass as yourself.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JCunningham
JCunningham

Espresso: black cat
Grinder: robur or whatever works
Vac Pot: cory
Drip: yesplease
Roaster: GotHot(s)
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 10:38am

a lever machine might work, you don't really have to have power and they used to make them with gas (propane) hook ups. you may be able to order a lever machine that is outfitted for propane. you still have the problem of filling the boiler though,  you'll need to manually fill the boiler (with a pressurized water bottle), or figure out a way to hook up a flo-jet (power or maybe batteries?), so you don't have to mess around filling up the boiler as you use the machine....we used to have a gorgeous 1980 lever here at Intelli that had the gas hook ups.
wogaut
wogaut
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Elektra Nino
Roaster: Hottop+PID
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 11:21am

There's a propane conversion kit available for this lever machine:
Click Here (www.espressotec.com)
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 11:25am

calblacksmith Said:

Neither would you likely want to use a lever machine in a commercial operation, they are just not made for the kind of service and speed that you will require when there are 8 people lined up for drinks. In a commercial situation, you WILL need a commercial machine, if for nothing else than the health certs that come with commercial machines and that DO NOT come with home duty machines.

Posted September 2, 2010 link

Lever and commercial are not mutually exclusive.

IIRC Astoria makes (or made) commerical lever machines with optional gas kits available.
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 11:23pm

calblacksmith Said:

Neither would you likely want to use a lever machine in a commercial operation, they are just not made for the kind of service and speed that you will require

Posted September 2, 2010 link

Uhh, what?

Commercial levers are plenty fast, and have been since around 1945.  The reasons to prefer electric pump over lever aren't speed.  25-35 seconds is still the goal; taking a tenth of a second to push a button vs 2 seconds to pull a lever isn't going to significantly change the line of waiting people.  A spring lever will automatically stop the shot, not unlike a full-auto, so go ahead and concentrate on that milk.

Home lever machines are out of the question, because they're not available in gas, among other problems.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I haven't seen any current gas-fired home machines.)

I know we were oohing and ahhing on the style of the Futurmat Palanca a while back on a different forum; it's available in gas.

From what I understand, the Rancilio Classe 6 series is available with gas heat; I'm not sure if that's only available for manual (hand) pump models, however.

Astoria machines have been already mentioned.

Links are for illustrative purposes only, no endorsement is implied.  To the best of my knowledge, I have no pecuniary interest in the linked websites.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 3, 2010, 5:41am

OK, UNCLE,

I was wrong, LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Jeromesk8

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 5:22am

Thanks for all the imput guys! I've since come accross a number of machines here in the UK. We've gon a company calledFraccino who do these and I've also seen that Gaggia and Wega also make them.

I particularly like Wega machines for ease of use so will probably go with this baby here: here

For the records though, thse machine can pump out as many coffees as the regular machines - they do need a different set up though with jet flow etc.

Cheers for all your input guys!
x1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 6:07am

Izzo Pompei lever  (1 - 4 group) machines are available in electric or gas.  I just spent a week in Napoli and these machines seem to be the standard in the coffee bars.  Check out there web site - having one of  these would distinguish you from the pack
surond

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 3:10am

Hi guys
having an issue with my Ellise Al, 2group (Bezzera) gas powered machine. I have hooked up the machine with water supply and gas supply according to inststructions. But regarding to gas heating element, I have some difficulties. the flame is blue and bride as manual saying, but after 30 minutes of heating process the pressure on the relevant gauge does not change. (it stays on 0 no change at all....) and after that time - aproximately 30 mins the flame goes down assume due to termostat regulation. but the pressure on the gague has 0 value.
i was thinking that the flame is too low but whole machine is hot. just the pressure gague is not going to chage for desire pressure. i beleive that gas heating system is able to heat the machine on its own and we do not need to trun on the electrical system.

what to do? can you advise me please...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gas Powered...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353277206421)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+