Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia tri-hole steam tip replacement... seems worse than single-hole!!??
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia tri-hole...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Danstrings

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 6, 2004, 10:01am
Subject: Silvia tri-hole steam tip replacement... seems worse than single-hole!!??

Hello gurus!

First off, thanks for the brilliant advice on here.  Thanks to you all, I am drinking espresso beverages at home that blow away what I was used to before... amazing..  I just can't set foot in Starbucks again.  The crowning achievement was when I finally mastered a cappuccino that reminded me of my morning stop at Castroni in Rome... I say reminded not equaled. haha.

I was finally getting good at microfoaming the milk, and I received the tri-hole tip I had ordered 6 weeks ago from WLL.  In hindsight I should have cancelled the order as I got more comfortable with steaming on the single-hole, but I said what the heck.  Well my first experience with the tri-tip has been a nightmare!  Huge bubbles, heats up way too fast, extends the wand 3/4 an inch or so so harder to get things under it.. I just don't like it.  

I have seen a lot of comments here that the tri-hole til ain't that great.  Any confirmations or tips (sorry for the pun, unintentional!)

Thanks guys!

Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
BlueJackets
BlueJackets
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: D-less Rocky
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Thu May 6, 2004, 10:43am
Subject: Re: Silvia tri-hole steam tip replacement... seems worse than single-hole!!??

I've had very good luck with mine.  It arrived with Silvia and I put it on before I ever powered up the machine.  I was getting microfoam right away (most of the time) with about 7 oz of milk in a 20 oz pitcher.  I keep the tip just below the surface all the way to 150F.  Whenever I slip, the large bubbles get sucked right back in.

Now, I just need to learn to pour latte art because the milk seems to mark very well.

After reading some of the comments here, I tried the stock tip and found it difficult and slow.  

Maybe it's all in what you learn with.
 View Profile Link to this post
korngold
korngold
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: WE Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu May 6, 2004, 11:13am
Subject: Re: Silvia tri-hole steam tip replacement... seems worse than single-hole!!??

The end result between the stock tip & the 3-hole tip, though similar, has some slight differences.  IMO, it seems as though the 1 hole tip with it's longer frothing/stretching time is easier to control and produces a "tighter, wetter" (don't read too much into that) microfoam.  I think if you like lattes and the occasional cappuccino, the 1 hole tip is more than ample.  If you like to tinker, or like your foam a little "dryer" and foamier--more for the capp. drinker & occasional latte drinker--the 3-hole tip is fun to have, but more difficult to master.

Personally, I have not used the WLL 3-hole tip, but I do have the one from 1st-line.  I have a 1 month old Silvia, and it generates steam like a fiend.  What I have discovered is that no matter which tip you use, getting consistent microfoam all about control and technique, and the 3-hole tip is infinitely more "sensitive" to the amount of steam you release than the 1 hole tip.  

If I open the steam valve up all the way with the 1 hole tip, I am still able to get decent froth.  It's a little "bubblier" than what I like, but it comes out okay.  If I open the steam valve all the way with the 3-hole tip, I need to wear Haz-Mat gear to protect myself from the flying milk & steam!  The key to the 3-hole tip (at least on my machine) is knowing how to control the steam variable.  I tinkered with the 1 hole tip last week, and was able to make minor adjustments in the steam release and wand placement, and get consistent microfoam.  

I put the 3-hole tip on this week, and found it was a little more difficult to master, but results are similar once mastered (great, consistent microfoam).  I have to restrict the steam considerably in the beginning during the "stretching" phase.  Once the milk gets to 100, I dunk the wand about 1/4" to 1/2" under the surface and open it full throttle until the milk hits 150, then completely cut off the steam.  

Keep in mind that Silvia's ugly older sister Audrey had a boiler that both similar in size, wattage, and structure, and used a 3-hole tip.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
pillguy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, with doser
Posted Wed Aug 11, 2004, 5:24am

I used the 3 hole from WLL for a week.  I took it off.  Here are the issues I had.

1.  horizontal steam shoots water when I am getting rid of the excess water after brewing.
  2.  No swirling at all.  There is just not enough pressure behind 3 holes to get the milk moving
  3.  I would say it is like a Panarello wand.  You just throw it in the milk, and you get foam.  Not good foam, but foam nonetheless.  

This might be a good tip for someone that just wants a drink, and is not looking for any type of foam perfection.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia tri-hole...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359503984451)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+