Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Filtered vs Tap Water
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Filtered vs Tap...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JasonCoffee
JasonCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Sep 21, 2010, 7:54am
Subject: Filtered vs Tap Water

I have started noticing a bunch of chatter about this. I was taught and was under the impression that filtered water was the way to go.

What is the absolute best type of water to use for Espresso? Does it change with brewed coffee, french press, chemex and so on... ???

NEW Coffee Forum: http://coffeecupnews.org/forum
Coffee Reviews: http://coffeecupnews.org
 View Profile Link to this post
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Tue Sep 21, 2010, 8:50am
Subject: Re: Filtered vs Tap Water

Here are two things I read that were helpful:

Click Here (web.archive.org)

Click Here (www.scaa.org)
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:31pm

There's an "Insanely Long Water FAQ" (that's the actual name of the FAQ) out there that's probably more than you want to know.

As for which is better, it depends on the specific tap water you're talking about.  Not all tap water is the same.  Not all filtered water is the same either.  I don't recall what's tossed around as the ideal range of total dissolved solids but mixing 50% reverse osmosis and 50% local tap water for me yields ~125PPM (tap water here is definitely hard to very hard) which was close enough according to what I ran across, IIRC.

The SCAA link above has a target of 150 mg/L TDS which is pretty close to 150PPM, according to an online conversion tool.

The trick is that you want some dissolved solids for coffee brewing.  However, you want to balance that with the fact that more dissolved solids means more scale.

...and I'm no water expert by any means.  Just relaying what little I know.  Hopefully without too many mistakes.
JasonCoffee
JasonCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:40pm

takeshi Said:

There's an "Insanely Long Water FAQ" (that's the actual name of the FAQ) out there that's probably more than you want to know.

As for which is better, it depends on the specific tap water you're talking about.  Not all tap water is the same.  Not all filtered water is the same either.  I don't recall what's tossed around as the ideal range of total dissolved solids but mixing 50% reverse osmosis and 50% local tap water for me yields ~125PPM (tap water here is definitely hard to very hard) which was close enough according to what I ran across, IIRC.

Posted September 22, 2010 link

Thanks so much this is really helpful. Never thought of mixing tap water, one of the concerns I have with doing that to accomplish the correct amount of dissolved solids is water purity but I imagine I will learn a bunch from the Insanely Long Water FAQ. ;)

NEW Coffee Forum: http://coffeecupnews.org/forum
Coffee Reviews: http://coffeecupnews.org
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Wed Sep 22, 2010, 1:09pm

The insanely long faq was getting to be hard to find (all the links broken) ... but one of the links I posted (a few posts earlier in this thread) is a copy of that faq.

Most inexpensive home water filters just remove the bad tastes and odors.  It is the fancy ionized filters or the RO filters (or steam distillation) that removes the disolved solids.  I think water softeners trade one sort of mineral for another sort (removes calcium and magnesium and replaces with sodium?)  but I could be wrong.
johnnyquade

Posted Wed Sep 22, 2010, 6:59pm

takeshi Said:

The SCAA link above has a target of 150 mg/L TDS which is pretty close to 150PPM, according to an online conversion tool.

The trick is that you want some dissolved solids for coffee brewing.  However, you want to balance that with the fact that more dissolved solids means more scale.

...and I'm no water expert by any means.  Just relaying what little I know.  Hopefully without too many mistakes.

Posted September 22, 2010 link

Interesting.. I never thought about mixing either.  I always just used straight distilled water, but I will have to try this tomorrow morning!

www.ecigg.org

Esmokes for life :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aleks192

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: Wega Max 6.4
Roaster: Toastess Popper
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 9:40pm

So my tap water is considered acceptable for brewing...I get a TDS of 144 when I test, and I use RO/DI water I make at home for brewing right now, which has a TDS of 0-3PPM, within the error range of my cheap TDS meter......Interesting.....I always have RO/DI on hand as I make it for my water cooler and my salt water reef tank, and always thought it was better.....I guess I am going to try tap now to see how it changes the brew! Interesting stuff

Rancilio S24 Rotary Red | Wega Max 6.4
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Filtered vs Tap...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412161111832)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+