Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Solis SL70 Espresso Machine Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Solis SL70...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 27 of 29 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Kristi
Kristi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sun Oct 3, 2010, 11:03am
Subject: Re: The Solis SL70 Espresso Machine Thread

After playing with my little $13 Gaggia Evolution, I have come up with a method that seems to easily work well with that machine, and though I haven't tried it on the Solis, I see no reason why it wouldn't work perfectly on any small boiler, non-HX, non-3-way machine.

"Re: Gaggia Evolution - Not bad!  made me eat my words!"

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
 View Profile Link to this post
Bikerbob

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville 900
Grinder: Barazta Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 3, 2010, 11:37am

am I to understand that I should get a dribble from the OPV when I pull a shot.
As it stands at the moment the adjusting nut collar is approx. 1/8" from the main valve body
and when I pull a shot there is no dribble as yet?
Also when I removed the adjusting nut I cleaned the inside parts prior to reassemble.
should I turn nut out further?

bikerbob
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Sun Oct 3, 2010, 11:44am

Bikerbob Said:

am I to understand that I should get a dribble from the OPV when I pull a shot.
As it stands at the moment the adjusting nut collar is approx. 1/8" from the main valve body
and when I pull a shot there is no dribble as yet?
Also when I removed the adjusting nut I cleaned the inside parts prior to reassemble.
should I turn nut out further?

Posted October 3, 2010 link

Yeah.  You've done the correct things which is to take it apart and clean it so you know it's not stuck.  I did find that I had to unscrew it quite a bit before it deigned to bless me with a dribble!  I think this is one of the reasons why the factory learned to glue these things shut - too many non-geeky customer problems!  LOL  Go for it!

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
Bikerbob

Posted Sun Oct 3, 2010, 12:03pm
Subject: Re: Solis SL70 notes

I have completed the OPV valve loosening. If I understand others on this thread I should get a dribble from the OPV when I pull a shot.
At the momemt I have the adjusting nut backed out 3mm and no dribble when I pull a shot. Ant suggestions?
What should I expect in dribble volume?
Thanks

PS backed the nut off another 1/4 turn and achieved a dribble; now what should I expect in volume when I pull a shot.
at the momemt my shots are quite bitter.

bikerbob
Bikerbob

Posted Sun Oct 3, 2010, 12:22pm

Backed the nut off about another 1/4 turn and achieved my dribble
thanks for the guidance

bikerbob
HowdyMr

Espresso: Solis Crema SL70, Bialetti...
Grinder: Spong, Deines
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 8:28pm

What a great thread. Thanks to all who contributed and to Kristi for your hard work. I've learned a ton.

I have a couple of questions. First, I'm really new at this. But I did read just about every post in this thread, so know a lot more now than I did just two days ago.

I was just given a SL70, my first machine. The owner told me it worked great, but not to use the steamer because it would blow a breaker if I threw the switch. I started it ran some water through and the GFI tripped. After some investigating I realized my switches weren't oriented the same as those in the manual. Down is on and up is off for both the pump and the steamer. It was designed this way as the symbols are correct. So, I was starting it with both the pump and steamer in the on position.

After fiddling and cleaning with it for a while I was unable to get anything to come out of the wand. I didn't know if the knob didn't work or if it was something else. Then I poked a toothpick up into the wand, breaking something loose and freeing water to come out Since then I've found that the knob works great and I can turn on the steamer without tripping the GFI. I remember reading that the wand would suck in when turned on. Could it be that the resistance caused something to trip the GFI?

Kristi, you mentioned the Krups 0906613 as a possible naked portafilter. Is this the one that you drilled out with a hole saw? I never quite put it all together. If so, do the same Saeco double filter baskets fit it? And how's that holding up for you? I need to replace these "improved crema" baskets, or at least the double.

I've read here that the OPV is locked shut in the factory. When I tried to pull my fist shot from this machine today it choked and water came out of the OPV. Does this indicate that it's been adjusted? Since this is all new to me, I'm wondering if my next step should be to grind coarser, tamp lighter or something else. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks again. Great thread.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 10:01pm

HowdyMr Said:

What a great thread. Thanks to all who contributed and to Kristi for your hard work. I've learned a ton.

I have a couple of questions. First, I'm really new at this. But I did read just about every post in this thread, so know a lot more now than I did just two days ago.

I was just given a SL70, my first machine. The owner told me it worked great, but not to use the steamer because it would blow a breaker if I threw the switch. I started it ran some water through and the GFI tripped. After some investigating I realized my switches weren't oriented the same as those in the manual. Down is on and up is off for both the pump and the steamer. It was designed this way as the symbols are correct. So, I was starting it with both the pump and steamer in the on position.

After fiddling and cleaning with it for a while I was unable to get anything to come out of the wand. I didn't know if the knob didn't work or if it was something else. Then I poked a toothpick up into the wand, breaking something loose and freeing water to come out Since then I've found that the knob works great and I can turn on the steamer without tripping the GFI. I remember reading that the wand would suck in when turned on. Could it be that the resistance caused something to trip the GFI?

Kristi, you mentioned the Krups 0906613 as a possible naked portafilter. Is this the one that you drilled out with a hole saw? I never quite put it all together. If so, do the same Saeco double filter baskets fit it? And how's that holding up for you? I need to replace these "improved crema" baskets, or at least the double.

I've read here that the OPV is locked shut in the factory. When I tried to pull my fist shot from this machine today it choked and water came out of the OPV. Does this indicate that it's been adjusted? Since this is all new to me, I'm wondering if my next step should be to grind coarser, tamp lighter or something else. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks again. Great thread.

Posted February 17, 2011 link

Hi and welcome to CG!

It's late but I'll try to answer some of this.

Manual and machine switches are different?  never noticed that, but never looked at it either! LOL  Glad you got that one figured out.

When you first turn power on [every time], turn the pump on and open the steam wand valve and let it run until water comes out the wand.  Then if you want, you can turn the steam switch and see if it steams.

It probably needs to be decalcified.  Get some dezcal (or go to a bear brew place and get some citric acid), mix a strong solution (2T) with warm water, stir it up, and run a cup in to your machine (via venting water from the steam wand), and let it sit for a few hours over overnight.    Every 15-30 min run another 1/4cup through. Alternate between steam wand and brew head.  I also turn on the steam switch and let it steam at least once in all this process.

The straightened end of a paperclip is great for that steam wand tip.

The naked pf thing - I sold my first SL70and unfortunately sold the pf's with it.  However, with my second SL70, I have not bothered - I discarded the presurized baskets, and use a saeco double (at least I think that's what it is).  I have completely lost interest in naked pf's.  Actually, at the moment, the SL70 is in its box and I am using a Gaggia Evolution with a modified steam wand from the old Silvias.

If you got water out of the OPV, then, yes, it's been adjusted.  To what, no one would know, but try your taste first before opening it up and trying to adjust it.

Yeah, a notch coarser would help - as I recall, SL70's are easy to choke.

A trick I have been doing with the Evo ($13 at Goodwill!) is turning on the steam switch for 10 seconds, shutting it off, and then doing the pull.  It is a tad more complex than that and I have a temp sensor taped inside on the front of the boiler to help me know where the boiler temp is at.  I have found that pulling with a bit higher temp gives me a much softer taste, so when I go back to the SL70, I will do that there as well.

Okay, that's all that comes to my soggy mind at the moment.  I'll check in late tomorrow.
nite!

HowdyMr

Espresso: Solis Crema SL70, Bialetti...
Grinder: Spong, Deines
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:42pm

Thanks Kristi,

I used Brew Rite to clean it before. But today I was able to pick up a gallon of citric acid. It's powder, right? I'll mix some up and let it sit in the machine for a few hours. After rinsing tonight hopefully I can get a good shot tomorrow. Well, with enough practice it's bound to happen.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 5:41pm

yes - powder.  a couple of tablespoons in warm water in a half filled reservoir should do it.

first shot after you decal it or cafeza it will be a bit off, second should be "fine".

Be patient with yourself!  Getting experience, to me, is a lot like playing - so a few shots taste terrible...  just keep experimenting!  You'll get it!

Bikerbob

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 8:21am

Good day Kristi

I own a Solis SL90. Have been reading the thread with interest. I have loosened the OPV and achieved a dribble.
My question is when pulling a double shot (25 secs and bit better than 2 oz shot) I get about  a 1/4 oz of dribble; is this normal
or should the OPV be tightened to the point of just no dribble.

thanks
bikerbob

bikerbob
showing page 27 of 29 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Solis SL70...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.582626104355)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+