Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010, 5:03am
Subject: Re: Rocket Espresso Giotto Evoluzione

That machine should warm up for at least half an hour, if not an hour. Pressure only means that there is pressure in the boiler, it takes time for the rest of the machine to come up to temp.

You don't need to purge a cup of water, only enough to stop the brew water from flashing to seam, 2 to 4 oz should do the trick.

Rocky will grind and you will get a potentially passable cup but you will want to upgrade soon to a better grinder.

Not sure where the water is dripping from that you refer to but could it be the 3 way valve?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
vjhardcore
vjhardcore
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto EVOLUZIONE,...
Grinder: Anfim
Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010, 10:34am

The water drip is normal - has something to do with a by pass valve for the plumb in I think. Even if machine is not plumbed in. I've gone away for a couple days at a time with the machine on its daily on/off timer and the trays never "overflowed". I've seen many larger commercial machines drip the same way out of a similar valve I take it. Congratulations on the purchase. I couldn't be happier with mine.

"I'm a man of simple tastes, easily satisfied by the best" Winston Churchill
 View Profile Link to this post
lttlscamp

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010, 12:20pm

Hey everyone,

I just joined the Giotto Evo club and was wondering what the frothing experience was like for those who haven't upped the boiler pressure to 1.2 or 1.3.

Mine seems to top out at around 1.1 after the heater kicks in.  I'm using 1% milk and I can't get much microfoam action.  I'm placing the tip of the wand just below the surface of the milk and angling it so i get a good swirl going but I still can't seem to get that velvety goodness I'm looking for.

Anyone have success with this without increasing the boiler pressure?  I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible without touching the pressure so then I know it's something I can improve with technique alone.

Thanks!
robreuland

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010, 6:03pm

Hi guys -- I just got my Giotto Evo today (thank you 1st Line) and have upped the pressure to 1.2 bar per DavecUK's instructions (thank you Dave). That is, the pressure is 1.2 at the top of the cycle and about 0.95 at the bottom before the heater kicks in. So far it seems quite nice, good extractions and good foam. I want to wait before a full review, but I'd appreciate hearing other Evo owners tell their particular technique, as micsam did on the previous page.
farinelli
farinelli

Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Posted Tue Nov 2, 2010, 8:48am

Ihave Rocket Evoluzione since 1 mouth and i'am very happy.I buy form from IDrinkCofee.com and very very good service.The machine is complete commercial high end component.The extraction is exellent  at each shot.For me it better choice because the Izzo is more 600$ and i know i very good choice too.But for my budjet 2000$ and is very big for my fist expresso maker.But i want a machine for the long time .
robreuland

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2010, 7:35pm

It's a great machine. A real improvement over the Grimac for me. I'd only say the drip tray is WAY too small. And it needs an audible low water alarm.

My technique, such that it is, has been to flush for about ten seconds. Wait ten seconds, then extract. So far it works fine.
lttlscamp

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Nov 5, 2010, 2:42pm

I've been trying to find the right time.  Is it just my Evo or what because mine just doesn't seem to have that "water dance/sputtering" when I do the flush.  And the steam seems to be consistent no matter how long I wait so it makes it hard to know when I've flushed enough based on the typical signs.
bdd888

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:28am

What is a HX? And why is it more accurate than using a PID?

Was considering a Rocket Giotto Evo w/ a PID and was going to ask for recommendations. Can you attach a PID to the Rocket GE?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:49am

Let's take a step back . . .

ONE way to classify espresso machines is by their method/mechanism/capabilities for producing the shot.  

-- Manual machines do not have a pump.  They rely on the operator to force the water through the puck by use of a lever -- like the Elektra Micro Casa a Leva, the La Pavoni Europicola, or the Olympia Cremina.  These are all manual lever machines -- the operator lifts the lever up and pulls it down, pushing the water through the puck.  There are also spring-operated lever machines, like the Bezzera B2006AL, or the Rancilio Class 6 LE models, in which the lever is controlled by a spring -- the operator pulls the lever down, and then a spring draws the lever back to the "up" position, moving the piston and forcing the water through the puck.

-- Semi-automatic machines have a pump to force the water through the puck, but the operator turns the pump on-and-off.  Examples would include the machines like Gaggia Classic, the Faema Legend (the original E61 machine, or the Izzo Alex Duetto II -- which are, respectively, an SDBU, an HX, and a DB machine -- all in semi-automatic formats.

-- Full-automatic machines, also known as volumetric dosing machines, have a pump to force the water through the puck, like a semi-auto, but after a certain volume of water is dispensed (programed by the operator), the pump will shut itself off automatically.  HOWEVER, the pump can also be shut off manually, just as with a semi-automatic.  Examples would include the Bezzera BZ07sde, the Elektra Sixties T1, and the La Marzocco Linea AV models.  Each of these , by the way, is also produced as a semi-automatic -- the Bezzera BZ07spm, the Elektra Sixties A3 (now discontinued, although plenty of other semi-autos are still made by Elektra), and the La Marzocco Linea EE models.

THEN you can classify machines by their boiler type:

-- Open boiler machines are relatively rare, and date back many decades.  These can heat the water for espresso, but cannot build up any pressure to steam milk.  To the best of my knowledge, this are all manual lever machines, and include machines like the Arrarex Caravel and the La Peppina.

-- Single Boiler Dual Use (SBDU) machines are the most popular machines for home use.  These have one boiler and two thermostats; the boiler will either heat the water within to brewing temperature or to steaming temperature.  The operator must wait for the boiler to move up/move down before continuing, i.e.: the machine can only brew or it can steam milk -- one or the other -- at a time.

-- Heat Exchanger (HX) machines also have one boiler, but it is permanently set to steaming temperature.  Cool water, either from a built-in reservoir ("tank") or from a water line ("plumbed-in" or "direct connect"), is then flash heated to brew temp via the use of a heat exchanger.

-- Double Boiler (DB) machines have two boilers, one for heating the brewing water, the other for making steam.

ALSO, machines can be classified by their components, if you will, and their target market.

-- Consumer machines are just that, designed for home use by the consumer.

-- Professional (or commercial) machines are designed for high-volume use in busy cafés, restaurants, etc.  They use more robust parts than consumer models, able to withstand their heavy, constant usage.

-- "Prosumer" machines fill in the gap; they are actually low-volume commercial machines that can also by used in a home environment.

/ / / / / / /

So you can have a commercial lever machine, or a consumer lever machine; a full-automatic HX prosumer model, as well as a full-auto HX commercial model, and so on and so on and so on . . . .

As far as PID units are concerned, it is debatable whether they are of significant importance (if any) on an HX machine.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
WBW

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2011, 9:34pm

Hi there,

I would like to get some feedback from Rocket Giotto/ Cellini Evoluzione owners as I am seriously thinking about buying this machine in the next few months.

- how long have you had your machine and are you still happy with it?
- any problems that have been commonly reported with this machine?
- anything frustrate you about this machine? (how about that tiny driptray?)

I have noticed that some of the people who posted in this and other rocket-related threads have moved on to other machines....why?

PS: Is this the thread that most closely resembles a Rocket Evoluzione owner's thread?  Not too many discussion topics on CG about it, and this discussion topic spends about 90% of the time arguing about PIDs on HX machines....kind of makes this not the most useful thread for potential rocket buyers / owners, but what can you do....

PPS: I am trying to delay / avoid starting one of those "what machine should I buy" threads...hence for now I am trying to focus on you, the experienced Rocket users, instead of my wants / needs....
showing page 9 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.433037042618)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+