Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
anyone measure pressure on non-solonoid machine?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > anyone measure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
RichardMoulton

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 9:22am
Subject: Re: anyone measure pressure on non-solonoid machine?

The test fixture was simple, an elbow on the bottom of the portafilter and a gauge - I didn't put a release valve - so I couldn't adjust the flow that easily.  

Using the PF without a basket would make a tight seal so I was reading pressure without any flow.  To get some flow, I could either loosen the pipe fittings a little to let them leak - or I could insert the basket with teflon tape around it to limit how much leaks around the basket to PF seat.     A small tupperware underneath the PF to capture the leaking water and measure the amount of liquid flowing in 25 seconds.   A needle valve would be much more elegant and adjustable.
 View Profile Link to this post
RichardMoulton

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 12:42pm

I tried to vary the amount of flow and I saw that the pressure does drop a bit as you increase the flow.  

I noticed that my older machine seems to have a more powerful pump than the newer machine.  I tried moving the same group valve from one machine to another and got slightly different pressure readings - but both gave the same sort of pressure drop with the group valve and full pressure without the group valve.

I also tested by unscrewed the bottom of the group valve a few turns to give a little less tension on the spring.  (Still enough threads turned in to hold the valve together)  And this brought the pressure up a little - screwing it back in tightly showed the pressure drop again.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 2:28pm

gime2much Said:

Following quote from a guy that has done much testing on Gaggias.

"I've done tests using Gaggia machines equipped with adjustable OPVs and 2
gauges: one mounted on the boiler, and the other mounted on a portafilter. My
tests show that once the pump is turned on, and the group valve is opened, both
gauges displayed the same pressure for the duration of the shot. To me, this
proved conclusively that the group valve does not drain off any pressure during
the shot."

Anyone else actually tested?  I have a Carezza stashed back and a portafilter mounted gauge to test with if needed to prove this one way or another.

Posted August 25, 2010 link

This thread really interested me.  I have a Carezza with the "spring and mushroom" group valve.  I had read many posts where people claimed to use softer springs in the group valve because the group valve was restricting the pressure to the brew head.   I have read posts from several people in various forums that have tested and found that the spring loaded, mushroom valve reduces pressure to the brew head.

So I was really curious why the Yahoo Gaggia users group claims the opposite is true - like the quote above which I think is from the Gaggia users group.  A Google search turns up plenty of blog postings by people taking the advice of the Gaggia group and installing OPVs on their non-solenoid machines and posting pictures of their project.

This has me really curious about these two contradicting beliefs - they can't both be right - which is correct?

So I set up the test exactly as described in this thread.  I mounted a portafilter gauge and removed the spring and mushroom valve from the group valve and I measured 16 bars on the PF gauge.  I put the spring and mushroom valve back in and measured 9.5 bars.  

I also tried not tightening the valve so the spring wasn't compressed as tightly and got higher pressure at the PF (about 10.5 bars). Then I tightened the valve up, compressing the spring tighter, and the pressure dropped back down again.

The quoted text above, about using an OPV and reading the same pressure at the boiler as at the PF, makes sense for a solenoid valve machine (no restriction at the brew head for a solenoid machine - so it makes sense that the pressure would be the same). But in that quote he seems to be claiming that he is doing this test on a machine with a mushroom valve in the brew head and an OPV installed on the boiler.  And based on the results I got, following the test outlined in this thread, I don't believe the above quote is accurate.  The only way to get those results would be with the spring removed or by using a very soft spring in the valve.  If the spring were very soft, the valve would only act as a check valve to prevent brew water from backing up into the boiler - but wouldn't require any pressure to open and consequently wouldn't work very well when steaming unless you used a blind filter basket.

I tried to ask about this on the Gaggia user's forum - hoping to learn how they got their results and why I got the opposite results.  My post was not allowed.  I was told that because my test results differed from the list owner's test results it would not be posted and I should NEVER attempt to post anything similar again. PERIOD   So much for open discussion and the scientific method.  

So that may explain why the Gaggia group seems to be in agreement among themselves - apparently posts with differing views are not allowed.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 3:02pm

AndyPanda Said:

So I set up the test exactly as described in this thread.  I mounted a portafilter gauge and removed the spring and mushroom valve from the group valve and I measured 16 bars on the PF gauge.  I put the spring and mushroom valve back in and measured 9.5 bars.  

Posted November 29, 2010 link

Thanks very much for re-confirming this.  It still puzzles me just a bit, but it's good to know how it actually works and this also confirms for me why the shots from my old Gaggia machine were so smooth when some claimed that the pressure would be too high to produce a nice shot.

AndyPanda Said:

I tried to ask about this on the Gaggia user's forum - hoping to learn how they got their results and why I got the opposite results.  My post was not allowed.  I was told that because my test results differed from the list owner's test results it would not be posted and I should NEVER attempt to post anything similar again. PERIOD  

Sad, but not surprising.  That person was banned from CG years ago.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 3:21pm

JonR10 Said:

Thanks for doing the test.  
Looks like I was wrong.

Posted August 29, 2010 link

hey, what happened ???
ciao, Pietro

AndyPanda Said:

This thread really interested me.  I have a Carezza with the "spring and mushroom" group valve.  I had read many posts where people claimed to use softer springs in the group valve because the group valve was restricting the pressure to the brew head.   I have read posts from several people in various forums that have tested and found that the spring loaded, mushroom valve reduces pressure to the brew head.

So I was really curious why the Yahoo Gaggia users group claims the opposite is true - like the quote above which I think is from the Gaggia users group.  A Google search turns up plenty of blog postings by people taking the advice of the Gaggia group and installing OPVs on their non-solenoid machines and posting pictures of their project.

This has me really curious about these two contradicting beliefs - they can't both be right - which is correct?

I also tried not tightening the valve so the spring wasn't compressed as tightly and got higher pressure at the PF (about 10.5 bars). Then I tightened the valve up, compressing the spring tighter, and the pressure dropped back down again.

The quoted text above, about using an OPV and reading the same pressure at the boiler as at the PF, makes sense for a solenoid valve machine (no restriction at the brew head for a solenoid machine - so it makes sense that the pressure would be the same). But in that quote he seems to be claiming that he is doing this test on a machine with a mushroom valve in the brew head and an OPV installed on the boiler.  And based on the results I got, following the test outlined in this thread, I don't believe the above quote is accurate.  The only way to get those results would be with the spring removed or by using a very soft spring in the valve.  If the spring were very soft, the valve would only act as a check valve to prevent brew water from backing up into the boiler - but wouldn't require any pressure to open and consequently wouldn't work very well when steaming unless you used a blind filter basket.

I tried to ask about this on the Gaggia user's forum - hoping to learn how they got their results and why I got the opposite results.  My post was not allowed.  I was told that because my test results differed from the list owner's test results it would not be posted and I should NEVER attempt to post anything similar again. PERIOD   So much for open discussion and the scientific method.  

So that may explain why the Gaggia group seems to be in agreement among themselves - apparently posts with differing views are not allowed.

Funny how I am attracted by same topics, in fact I wanted to post before actually reading the thread and realize that this is an old thread still alive.....
You are right, the above quote is WRONG, which is worse than not beeing accurate, and it is not a matter of open discussion or contributing personal experience.
It is  pure maths : if you have 5.5bar spring loaded valve, 15bar E5 Ulka pump and OPV set ,say, at 9.5bar = gage on boiler will read 9.5bar and gage on portafilter will read 4 bar, while if machine was equipped with three way solenoid both gages would read 9.5bar:, and anybody having experience with pressure reducing devices can confirm.
Still, if I badly wanted to sell an OPV to a non solenoid machine owner, I would also supply a very soft spring for the mushroom to act ONLY as one way valve, to prove that the two gages read the same..... I would need to make a lot of money on that OPV, in order to justify such a silly operation.......
Ciao, Pietro
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 3:40pm

JonR10 Said:

Sad, but not surprising.  That person was banned from CG years ago.

Well it surprised me - was always friendly before and I figured they would welcome discussion.  I must have touched a really hot topic without knowing it.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 4:01pm

AndyPanda Said:

sounds like a fun place......... heil gaggia users group! ;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
JR
JR

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 8:56pm

The Gaggia group is actually quite helpful for most Gaggia owners.

Folks, surely you're aware you only have one side of the story here, since the other party was "banned from CG years ago" (and I have no issue with that, BTW).  At least consider that this might not be the WHOLE reason the post was rejected in the Gaggia group.

I don't know both sides, nor do I have an ax to grind.  But let's be fair.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010, 4:49am

JR Said:

At least consider that this might not be the WHOLE reason the post was rejected in the Gaggia group.

I don't know both sides, nor do I have an ax to grind.  But let's be fair.

Good point.  Thanks for the balance, Jack  :-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010, 9:20am

JonR10 Said:

Good point.  Thanks for the balance, Jack  :-)

Posted November 30, 2010 link

Thank you both
Susan
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > anyone measure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.529888153076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+