Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kojach

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium +
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun AromaDeluxe KF510
Posted Tue Nov 23, 2010, 6:20pm
Subject: Re: Blurred lines.. Silvano by Quick Mill

From that CCS video (http://vimeo.com/16067702) it does seem a bit weak but I'll default to you more experienced guys.

From those of you that have bought or tested the Silvano, can you just help me understand whether it's a viable upgrade from a Sylvia or similar single-boiler machine?

From my $20 Braun it's even a huge leap to the $750 Sylvia (I'm amazed I've worked myself up this far), but like all other non-PID single boilers it requires temperature surfing to get the best results from it.

Modifying a Sylvia with a PID would cost me ~$250, versus spending $350 more to get a Silvano which doesn't require any modifications or surfing, assuming the steaming is on par with the Sylvia.

What videos I've seen of the Sylvia steaming seem more impressive than the Silvano.

I'm flip flopping between the two since it's just not convincing enough at this point that another $350 is really worth it.

My hands can only work so fast, but it would be nice to have the freedom of frothing milk while extracting shots... but if it's really only a timing thing then maybe I should just stick with the Rancilio and book an all-inclusive vacation with the savings. ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
symbology

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 5:23pm

I cannot offer a comparison to the Silvia, but I can say that the steaming is "at a minimum", OK on the Silvano.   I can steam 6oz of milk in 40-45 seconds.  That is getting it up to 140*145 degrees F.   I was considering the Silvia, but with the ability to steam / extract at the same time, I went with the Silvano.  While, I don't normally do  this, steaming takes to much attention to do both at the same time, I do extract my shot just seconds after steaming my milk.  You cannot do that with a Silvia, even with a PID installed.  You still have to get the temp from steam to brew before pulling your shot.

Some mornings my wife's friend comes over and I make two lattes and a cappuccino in no time.

No temp surfing required at all.     I can easily.....

Steam milk => then pull shot => poor latte

rinse repeat..........    Never a worry of temp for steaming, or pulling the shot.  

BTW, on my Francis Francis X7 I always had to open up the steam dial to full, so I don't really have an issue with the "steam switch".

If you plan to offer lattes to friends you might find yourself growing tired of waiting for the temp to drop / rise on the Silvia.   That, along with the smaller water tank are two of the main reasons why I could not stand my Francis Francis X7.

Speaking of the water tank.  with the tank on the Silvano, it is very easy to refill the tank.  Even while pulling a shot.  All I do is pull the tank out a little bit and pour in fresh water to top it off.  it does not have to be completely removed to add water.   I do remove / rinse it during my weekly during my cleaning routine.

FWW, if I was going to pull water from my Silvano, I would pull the steam tip off and the pressure issue would be....    well, a non issue.

I love my Silvano for the price I paid 795USD.

Good luck.

-Allen
kojach

Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 6:13pm

Bit of an update... decided to go all in and get the Rocket Giotto special from iDrinkCoffee (with the Baratza Vario).

Will play around once received but I'm certain there won't be any dissatisfaction here!
Garrett

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010, 8:12pm

Nicely done! I'm going for the same package here in the US.  I made the mistake of ordering the Silvia and making up my mind to just go all out and be happy with a great HX machine.  Congrats and lets us know how it is!

- Garrett
symbology

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010, 8:19am

Congrats....

Great Choice....

If the Quick Mill, or Rocket HX's had the side loading tank I would probably update the Silvano, or would have bought one to begin with.  My machine resides under neath the Kitchen cabinets and pulling out a 40lb machine just to fill water does not work.   I am not able to easily plumb to this location, so that is not an option.

-Allen
kojach

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010, 8:32am

symbology Said:

If the Quick Mill, or Rocket HX's had the side loading tank I would probably update the Silvano, or would have bought one to begin with.  My machine resides under neath the Kitchen cabinets and pulling out a 40lb machine just to fill water does not work.   I am not able to easily plumb to this location, so that is not an option.

Posted November 30, 2010 link

No side loading with the Rocket Giotto... it has a top-loading tank, which feeds the machine directly through a hole in the bottom of the tank (no tubes).

And you can fill the top without removing the cups (or the top cup rack entirely - as with the Medea).
Zimberto

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010, 7:01pm

I've had my Silvano for over a month now and I'm getting to like it more each day as my confidence grows in its (any my own!) ability to deliver good espresso and steamed milk. This morning I steamed 16oz of milk in a 32oz pitcher for two 12oz lattes. At around 3 minutes (for 40F to 150F) it wasn't quick, but once it hit 100F having got very good microfoam, I let it go on autopilot while I pulled my shots. I used a medium roast bean from my local Fred Meyer supermarket ($6/lb) to produce delicious lattes rivalling anything from the many boutique coffee shops I've tried. This is what I wanted from the Silvano and I got it.

As for you people looking for hot water from this machine, yes you do have to be careful about the sputter, and the manual makes that clear. Essentially, if you draw hot water into a round-bottomed cup without first releaseing pressure into the drip tray, there is a real danger that you'll get boiling water on your hand. So release pressure into the drip tray before drawing water, and/or use a flat-bottomed cup/mug/pitcher. Alternatively, heat your water in a kettle or microwave.
mcKoffee
mcKoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010, 8:35pm

Zimberto Said:

I've had my Silvano for over a month now and I'm getting to like it more each day as my confidence grows in its (any my own!) ability to deliver good espresso and steamed milk. This morning I steamed 16oz of milk in a 32oz pitcher for two 12oz lattes. At around 3 minutes (for 40F to 150F) it wasn't quick, but once it hit 100F having got very good microfoam, I let it go on autopilot while I pulled my shots. I used a medium roast bean from my local Fred Meyer supermarket ($6/lb) to produce delicious lattes rivalling anything from the many boutique coffee shops I've tried. This is what I wanted from the Silvano and I got it.

As for you people looking for hot water from this machine, yes you do have to be careful about the sputter, and the manual makes that clear. Essentially, if you draw hot water into a round-bottomed cup without first releaseing pressure into the drip tray, there is a real danger that you'll get boiling water on your hand. So release pressure into the drip tray before drawing water, and/or use a flat-bottomed cup/mug/pitcher. Alternatively, heat your water in a kettle or microwave.

So with decent barista skills sounds like it would take you about four and a half to five minutes to steam your milk and pull two doubles for two 12oz lattes. Not too shabby for this class machine. And bottom line you could do four 12oz lattes in just twice the time and if doing cappucino's make that more like five minutes for four of 'em all with double shots. Or maybe not quite. Would have to test back to back shot recovery time... I'm kinda spoiled with my Bric's 35sec recovery shot to shot including flash for flush-n-go.

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zimberto

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010, 8:31am

mcKoffee Said:

So with decent barista skills sounds like it would take you about four and a half to five minutes to steam your milk and pull two doubles for two 12oz lattes. Not too shabby for this class machine. And bottom line you could do four 12oz lattes in just twice the time and if doing cappucino's make that more like five minutes for four of 'em all with double shots. Or maybe not quite. Would have to test back to back shot recovery time... I'm kinda spoiled with my Bric's 35sec recovery shot to shot including flash for flush-n-go.

Going by the PID, it takes about 20 seconds to recover after pulling a 2oz shot. However, since the PID is located at the boiler inlet, not the outlet, I'm guessing you could pull another shot before that. I don't bother flushing at all since the steamer is separate and the group+pf, being attached directly to the boiler, are always toasty. Also remember that you can steam and pull shots at the same time, and that it's actually about 33% quicker (but not so convenient) to steam 8oz of milk twice than it is to steam 16oz.
slooowr6

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: PV Export
Grinder: MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: SwissGold
Roaster: Gene
Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 1:54am

I got the Silvano from jsaliga. It's a wonderful machine. The beauty of PID is you set it and you just leave it. No guessing no timing and you'll get your shot at that temp every time. I had a Expobar Control HX machine it has plenty steam power but I only need to steam milk for 1 cappuccino most of the time it's really unnecessary to heat 1.2l of water just to steam 6oz of milk. For my usage Silvano is the perfect machine it fits all my needs.
1) Good PIT temperature control.
2) Small foot print.
3) Reasonable price.
4) No waiting for steam.
5) Decent boiler size, 700 cc
6) Huge drip tray.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 16 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Blurred lines.....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.450845003128)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+