Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Chris Coffee's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
pumpkinscastle

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmilll Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011, 6:56pm
Subject: Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...

I saw that Chris' Coffee has introduced a new joystick arm/wand on some of their machines (new Vetrano etc.).

Has anyone had the chance to try those? They look cool and I was thinking for a moment of retrofitting my Vetrano with them. However, they cost $70 per piece. Also, do they arrest in one position so that the steam stays on while steaming? If they're just working when toggled/held down, then that would be less than ideal for me. I'm already busy with the steaming pitcher and pulling the shot. I don't have a third hand.

I am curious about your comments, especially of those who have first-hand experience with these wands.

I talked to Roger from Chris' Coffee today, and even he didn't have any first-hand experience with them yet.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011, 8:42pm
Subject: Re: Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...

If you look at the NEW Quick Mill Vetrano . . .

JasonBrandtLewis: VetranoNewModelJoysticks45.jpg

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011, 8:44pm

. . . the "joysticks" look very similar to those found on the Elektra "Sixties" models.

JasonBrandtLewis: T1_S_D1_Auto.jpg

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011, 8:46pm

If that is true -- I have not used the new controls on the Vetrano, but I do have an Elektra -- then they stay on in any position.  There is a video of the Elektra controls somewhere on HB -- I'll see if I can find it -- but you definitely do not need three hands.

Ancamo
Ancamo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cups
Drip: Aeoropress / CCD
Roaster: POPPERY I / SC-TO
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011, 9:44am

I acutally asked Chris directly and here is the answer I got

"Up down or all around it will stay in the on position until you push them toward the center. You can partially open them as well but in a partially open position you need to hold it where you want it. "

Hope this helps ;-)
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011, 9:50am

Joystick controls intrigue me.  It's sort of the best of both worlds between a ball valve (that you manually manipulate), and the slider levers used on Simonelli and Spazialle machines.  On the other hand, I usually keep my hand on the valve while steaming anyway for subtle pressure changes, so I'd probably be more prone to knock it off accidentally than a rotary control :)

For what it's worth, Bezzera has been using these for a while as well.   Probably others, too.
robca

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional....
Grinder: Zassenhaus; Baratza Vario;...
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011, 8:21pm

I very recently got my BZ07, and I was mildly worried about the steam wand "joystick" controls, and I only used the rotary ones before. I love it, actually :-).

If I need manual control, I can lower it and hold in place where I have just the right amount of steam (the BZ07 one locks in place only when pulled up, in every other position acts as a manual control). To steam a latte, I pull it up and it locks in position. The stop the steam, one quick tap and it moves back to center, immediately stopping the flow. It's much easier to brew coffee and steam at the same time, and quickly turn off the steam even when distracted.

Bonus: since it's impossible to over-tighten it like a normal rotary knob, supposedly the valve lasts a lot longer
Ancamo
Ancamo

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cups
Drip: Aeoropress / CCD
Roaster: POPPERY I / SC-TO
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011, 8:35pm

robca Said:

Bonus: since it's impossible to over-tighten it like a normal rotary knob, supposedly the valve lasts a lot longer

Posted January 4, 2011 link

True but the stock valves on the Vetrano and the andreja premium are non compression valves.  So they can't be overtighten either :-)
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 9:08am

Ancamo Said:

True but the stock valves on the Vetrano and the andreja premium are non compression valves.  So they can't be overtighten either :-)

Posted January 4, 2011 link

+2 :)  And Salvatore, Vibiemme, and I believe Giotto.  

There's pros to each.  It's easier to hold a specific reduced output without fluctuating it with a rotary, easier to cut steam on a joystick.  I'd say both are equal durability and quality, just different methods of using it....I'd be curious to try a joystick style sometime....though I'm perfect happy with my non-compression ball valves :)

I have a feeling the joystick & lever designs have more to do with preventing repetitive stress injury in commercial environments than with durability or steam performance. Rotating those knobs all day would create a nightmare for the wrists, where a joystick or lever is a vertical motion.  For home, we may drink a LOT of coffee, but not THAT much :)  Still, the sticks look fun to use!
symbology

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 5:49pm

It sure seems like they stick out from the machine a lot more than the standard valves.

I as others, would love to hear more details on these.

-Allen
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Chris Coffee's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426592111588)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+