Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Chris Coffee's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pumpkinscastle

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmilll Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 7:33pm
Subject: Re: Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...

Interesting replies so far. Seems like I will stick to my non-compression rotary valves although I am intrigued by the new joystick arms. However, paying $140 for a retrofit is not a cheap thing. It would be something to play with for sure but would offer me no real benefit over my current arms.

I'd like to see if there are users out there that have a new Quickmill machine with the actual arms that Chris Coffee is using.
 View Profile Link to this post
CaliforniaJed

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 9:19pm

On a related note (and not to hijack the thread), I have been wondering why the La Spaziale Vivaldi II features a twist knob for steam while the Mini features the slider.  I like the idea of the slider...
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 8:17am

symbology Said:

It sure seems like they stick out from the machine a lot more than the standard valves.

I as others, would love to hear more details on these.

Posted January 5, 2011 link

I'd think that wouldn't matter much so long as they're not in the way of the brew switch/lever or PF.  It's not like they extend past the trip tray or anything.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 8:21am

symbology Said:

It sure seems like they stick out from the machine a lot more than the standard valves.

They stick out farther because they need to be able to move -- otherwise it would be like a toggle switch.

TheMadTamper Said:

It's not like they extend past the trip tray or anything.

Posted January 6, 2011 link

Agreed.  It's not as though you have baseball bats attached up there . . .

On the Elektra, they do not stick out past the drip tray, they are easy to use and quite functional.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 8:26am

pumpkinscastle Said:

Interesting replies so far. Seems like I will stick to my non-compression rotary valves although I am intrigued by the new joystick arms. However, paying $140 for a retrofit is not a cheap thing.

Why would you?  This is merely a different way of turning on-and-off the steam and hot water taps.  I have one machine with non-compression valves; one machine with "joysticks" -- there is ZERO difference between them in terms of obtaining steam (or water).  It's the same thing with cars: with my wife's, you put the key in the ignition; with mine, you keep the key in your pocket and push a button.  Doesn't matter which method is used, as long as the car starts!

Ancamo
Ancamo

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cups
Drip: Aeoropress / CCD
Roaster: POPPERY I / SC-TO
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 8:44am

I don't know Jason, to me it just seems easier to use the joystick (mind you I haven't tried it) not that knobs are hard but personally i find that the knobs on the AP need too many turns to get full steam and then to get shut and with wet fingers they tend to be slippery (plus they are noisy).  So I don't know the whole idea of instant on/off seduces me ;-)  .  Don't we prefer automatic windows on our cars instead of a handle/roll down type of thing ;-)))

Now on the price, I think they are so expensive because they come as the whole assembly, with the steam arm and tip (confirmed by Chris) it's not just the valve, so that might explain the price.

Pascal
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 10:09am

Ancamo Said:

I don't know Jason, to me it just seems easier to use the joystick (mind you I haven't tried it) not that knobs are hard but personally i find that the knobs on the AP need too many turns to get full steam and then to get shut and with wet fingers they tend to be slippery (plus they are noisy).  So I don't know the whole idea of instant on/off seduces me ;-)  .  Don't we prefer automatic windows on our cars instead of a handle/roll down type of thing ;-)))

Now on the price, I think they are so expensive because they come as the whole assembly, with the steam arm and tip (confirmed by Chris) it's not just the valve, so that might explain the price.

Pascal

"Full" steam doesn't always mean opening the valve fully.  I know with my valves, there's a half-turn dead zone to prevent accidental on.  When steaming,  I have to turn it MAYBE 1/8-1/4 turn past that for real full power...beyond that it's just wasting pressure.  And that's with a 4 hole 1.2mm tip.  With the two hole tip, and especially the two hole .9mm tip, cranking the thing two complete revolutions does little at all for the steam...the holes are much too small for more than a small valve opening to make a difference.  With a 4 hole, if I opened it half a turn or more, it would deplete itself way too fast, and I'd lose control of the milk.  Maybe the APs valves are different, but I'd assume they're largely the same.  

We also may want to explore why your hands are wet when steaming milk?! You're supposed to feel the OUTSIDE of the pitcher for temp, not the INSIDE ;) Seriously, though, I dry my hands after any rinsing with my cloth...I can't imagine I'd change that process with joysticks or non.

I do like the lever/joystick idea, and there's definitive convenience to it...I think the bulk of the convenience is if making a LOT of drinks so your wrists aren't sore from the rotary action.  Otherwise, for a few drinks today, giving a knob a quarter turn's crank, or flicking a toggle is really dead even.  Which one may be more fun to use though, I'd rather not speculate ;)
symbology

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 10:11am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

They stick out farther because they need to be able to move -- otherwise it would be like a toggle switch.

Agreed.  It's not as though you have baseball bats attached up there . . .

On the Elektra, they do not stick out past the drip tray, they are easy to use and quite functional.

Just trying to get an idea of how much longer these are.  The valve looks longer, as well as the arm / handle sticking out the end.  So, are they 2" longer than the standard valve / knob, or 3-4"  

Also, based on the photos, it looks like the steam and water arms exit the valve further away from the body of the machine, and a bit lower on the valve.   This might work out a little better for us by allowing my wife to have a better view of things while she is steaming milk.

Take a look at this picture.  These look like the extend out close to the end of the drip tray.

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

-Allen
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 12:56pm

Rather than all this speculation, wouldn't it be easier to simply CALL Chris' Coffee and ask them?

JoshMcBride

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V2
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 4:31pm

robca Said:

I very recently got my BZ07, and I was mildly worried about the steam wand "joystick" controls, and I only used the rotary ones before. I love it, actually :-).

Posted January 4, 2011 link

We have one of these at our store and I've used the joystick control. LOVE IT. They stay on when in the UP position, but when you pull it down you have full control and turns off if you let it go.

This is with the Bz0z not the Ventrano, our anitas have hand turned nozzels, I wonder if the Anita's will go the way of the joystick?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Chris Coffee's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.535717010498)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+