Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Delonghi EAM3500 Magnifica Anyone own this and can answer some questions.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EAM3500...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nambi

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 8:24am
Subject: Delonghi EAM3500 Magnifica Anyone own this and can answer some questions.

I picked up one of these REFURBISHED it's working but I do have some questions regarding the grinder and the strength.

my grinder setting is at 2 the 2nd from the fine setting, and while making an espresso I find they it needs to be stronger the 1st split second the coffee output is VERY dark and strong looking after this it seems to lighten up substantially, in which the final output is not as strong as I would like,  I think If I could slow down the flow it would be stronger, also when emptying out the pucks I find that they are not as fine grinds as I would expect, or as I buy when I buy pregrind.  

If anyone has a similar machine do you find your grinds very fine as if you were to purchase pregrinded espresso?

Does anyone have any tips on what I can try.  I really like this machine in terms of use but I find I am limited in making a full espresso cup to my desired strength.

Thank You,
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:29am
Subject: Re: Delonghi EAM3500 Magnifica Anyone own this and can answer some questions.

nambi Said:

I picked up one of these REFURBISHED it's working but I do have some questions regarding the grinder and the strength.

my grinder setting is at 2 the 2nd from the fine setting, and while making an espresso I find they it needs to be stronger the 1st split second the coffee output is VERY dark and strong looking after this it seems to lighten up substantially, in which the final output is not as strong as I would like,  I think If I could slow down the flow it would be stronger, also when emptying out the pucks I find that they are not as fine grinds as I would expect, or as I buy when I buy pregrind.  

If anyone has a similar machine do you find your grinds very fine as if you were to purchase pregrinded espresso?

Does anyone have any tips on what I can try.  I really like this machine in terms of use but I find I am limited in making a full espresso cup to my desired strength.

Thank You,

Posted January 20, 2011 link

Can you adjust the output oz. of the coffee?  If so (which is likely), significantly decrease the amount of oz. and do a double.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nambi

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 1:24pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi EAM3500 Magnifica Anyone own this and can answer some questions.

I can adjust the the quantity of water, and apparently I can adjust teh flow speed from teh grinder knob but I have had limited success, I am hoping someone with a similar unit can shed some knowledge.

Thanks for the help.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 1:46pm

nambi Said:

I can adjust the the quantity of water, and apparently I can adjust teh flow speed from teh grinder knob but I have had limited success, I am hoping someone with a similar unit can shed some knowledge.

Thanks for the help.

I have a super; if you lessen the amount of water per serving then you will get a stronger cup.  Grinding finer may produce a bit stronger cup; but lessening the amount of water per serving will definitely produce a stronger cup.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

nambi

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 2:17pm

you have a super? super magnifica? what is your model #?  how and where did you adjust your flow? according to the manual you one click adjust the flow and one more adjust the grinder but I have not seen much difference? how fine is your grind when you dispose of your used pucks?

Thank You,
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 4:31pm

nambi Said:

you have a super? super magnifica? what is your model #?  how and where did you adjust your flow? according to the manual you one click adjust the flow and one more adjust the grinder but I have not seen much difference? how fine is your grind when you dispose of your used pucks?

Thank You,

I have a Krups superauto.  Most work on the same principle.  I found best results a regarding grind by putting the adjustment lever about 1/2 between finest and medium.  Water at lowest amount per serving.  Remember that the pucks are smaller in a superauto than a semi.  Doing a double super is like doing a single and a half semi, strength wise, if you do it right.

Len

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EAM3500...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413430929184)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+