Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quickmill Silvano versus Anita
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quickmill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
openhelix

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:52pm
Subject: Quickmill Silvano versus Anita

I know these are two completely different machines. Has anyone else taken a look at these to compare? Here's what I see as the pros/cons to each but I might be way off. My experience amounts to a couple years "self learning" pulling shots behind a bar (alcohol, not coffee bar) with no formal instruction. Thankfully I now live near Barefoot so I've picked up a bit of knowledge from them but still fairly noob-ish compared to most people here.

Silvano
Pros
  • Less expensive than the Anita
  • separate pumps for boiler and thermoblock
  • separate boiler and thermoblock allow pulling shots and working milk at the same time
  • looks pretty (important to SWMBO)
  • PID and no temp surfing/flushing required

Cons
  • hybrid design (not a true SBDU, HX or DB) may mean a different technique and less folks with experience to learn from
  • Almost in the price range of an HX machine
  • Not quite as good steaming as some other machines (though the current video looks pretty good)

Anita
Pros
  • True HX design (well defined process with minimal tweaking)
  • hot water arms (don't drink americanos much, but occasionally)
  • e61 group (easy replacement parts, proven design)
  • Pretty (SWMBO and IMO prettier than the SIlvano)
  • BIG 1400W heating element
  • 2 full portafilter setups

Cons
  • MUCH more expensive (a big deal)
  • Won't use hot water arm much
  • Need to flush before pulling a shot

I'm having a hard time justifying the Anita is 1.5x as good at the Silvano and the result (coffee/experience) will be 1.5x better. The law of diminishing returns seems to hit hard in the espresso world and while I want great coffee I also want value. I'll be pairing this with a Vario grinder and a mix of beans.

TIA!
 View Profile Link to this post
slooowr6

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: PV Export
Grinder: MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: SwissGold
Roaster: Gene
Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011, 5:10pm
Subject: Re: Quickmill Silvano versus Anita

To me PID is a big plus. It make life that much easier. I try a new coffee the other day, when brew at 200 degree it taste so-so and I raise the temp to 202 the shots are very different and much better. If you need to froth milk often then Anita may be better. If not, Silvano should make you happy.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Logicafe
Logicafe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvano, Gaggia
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Rocky
Vac Pot: Krups Moka Brew
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011, 6:36pm

I have had my Silvano now for about 4 months and really enjoy it.  The PID takes the guess work out of temp surfing.  Yes, the thermoblock for steaming may be a deal breaker for some but I don't use it.  I really like filling up the water reservoir on the side, all it takes is pulling it out a little and pour in more water.  I was also able to get the $795 deal from Chris's Coffee so that made it that more enjoyable.  Enjoy your purchase, what ever it may be.
symbology

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011, 7:06pm

Need more info from you.

What are your plans for the machine?   Few milk drinks, many milk drinks, how many per day etc.....     Will you be working with Soy milk at all?

If you are not going to be making a lot of milk drinks, and will not be using Soy milk........  then the Silvano is a great choice.    Yes, the steaming is a tad weak, but with a little practice it works pretty darn well.   Just do not plan on steaming up more than 6oz at a time, and do not plan to steam Soy.  It is too thick and heavy for the Silvano.  (not that Soy is great for creating microfoam anyway)

My wife drinks Soy milk and this is probably the biggest reason why I got rid of my Silvano.  I could get "latte art" quality microfoam while using 2%, or whole milk, but Soy would just foam up, and the bubbles would never incorporate with the milk.  So, I would end up with a mixture of milk and thick foam.   With the Andreja and Mini Vivaldi II, this is not a problem due to the sheer steaming power of both machines.  It is not latte art quality, but at least it is microfoamish and the foam is incorporated through the milk.

I tried an Andreja, but I did not like having to flush a large amount of water to get the group and HX to the proper temps.   If it was plumbed in, this would be less of a problem.  If I did not have overhead cabinets, it would be less of a problem because water tank refills would have been much easier.  (had to pull the machine out 1-2 times a day just to refill the water tank).  I now own a Mini Vivaldi II and it suits me very, very well.   I lowered my water usage, though it has a front load tank, and I no longer have to "work" to get to the correct temp.   (Not that you would even know for sure what temp you are at unless you spend more $ and get a group head thermometer (search for "erics thermometer") and possible a scace to get things figured out.

With the Silvano and the PID the temperature will be one aspect of your extraction that you don't have to worry about (as far as was it too hot, too cold, did not flush enough, flushed too little.)   With the Silvano, the temp will be what ever it is set to.  Easily adjustable and easy to get the same water temp every time.    There is nothing wrong with an HX, but for the less skilled Barista, I think having a machine with consistent water temps is HUGE.

If the newest version of the Silvano has improved steaming abilities it is a no brainer IMO. ( I still would not expect great steaming, but any improvement would be great)

-Allen
randytsuch

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 7:19pm

Not to confuse you, but there are other choices for an HX machine

Bezzera makes a couple machines cheaper then the Anita, the BZ02 and BZ07

Right now, if I upgraded machines, it would be an Salvatore SES, in a close race over the BZ07.
The Silvano was great for $800, I'm not sure it makes as much sense at $1000.

Randy
openhelix

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:21pm

symbology Said:

Need more info from you.

What are your plans for the machine?   Few milk drinks, many milk drinks, how many per day etc.....     Will you be working with Soy milk at all?

If you are not going to be making a lot of milk drinks, and will not be using Soy milk........  then the Silvano is a great choice.    Yes, the steaming is a tad weak, but with a little practice it works pretty darn well.   Just do not plan on steaming up more than 6oz at a time, and do not plan to steam Soy.  It is too thick and heavy for the Silvano.  (not that Soy is great for creating microfoam anyway)

My wife drinks Soy milk and this is probably the biggest reason why I got rid of my Silvano.  I could get "latte art" quality microfoam while using 2%, or whole milk, but Soy would just foam up, and the bubbles would never incorporate with the milk.  So, I would end up with a mixture of milk and thick foam.   With the Andreja and Mini Vivaldi II, this is not a problem due to the sheer steaming power of both machines.  It is not latte art quality, but at least it is microfoamish and the foam is incorporated through the milk.

I tried an Andreja, but I did not like having to flush a large amount of water to get the group and HX to the proper temps.   If it was plumbed in, this would be less of a problem.  If I did not have overhead cabinets, it would be less of a problem because water tank refills would have been much easier.  (had to pull the machine out 1-2 times a day just to refill the water tank).  I now own a Mini Vivaldi II and it suits me very, very well.   I lowered my water usage, though it has a front load tank, and I no longer have to "work" to get to the correct temp.   (Not that you would even know for sure what temp you are at unless you spend more $ and get a group head thermometer (search for "erics thermometer") and possible a scace to get things figured out.

With the Silvano and the PID the temperature will be one aspect of your extraction that you don't have to worry about (as far as was it too hot, too cold, did not flush enough, flushed too little.)   With the Silvano, the temp will be what ever it is set to.  Easily adjustable and easy to get the same water temp every time.    There is nothing wrong with an HX, but for the less skilled Barista, I think having a machine with consistent water temps is HUGE.

If the newest version of the Silvano has improved steaming abilities it is a no brainer IMO. ( I still would not expect great steaming, but any improvement would be great)

Posted February 21, 2011 link

Probably 3-4 double shots per day, 1 milk drink per day (if that). Maybe 1.5-2x that on the weekends.

randytsuch Said:

Right now, if I upgraded machines, it would be an Salvatore SES, in a close race over the BZ07.

Randy

Posted February 22, 2011 link

I've looked at the Bezzeras and they just don't speak to me. IMHO, the BZ02 is downright ugly and the BZ07 just doesn't do anything for me.
i_am_miguel

Espresso: yes please
Grinder: i got that too
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 11:32am

i'm in your shoes right now.  the bz07 is an hx for very close to silvano but it is not atractive to me.  the silvano looks like a chrome brick but still looks better i think.  i drink 70% straight shots and the rest lattes.  i was leaning to the silvano because of ericbnc's reasons but at the store i went to they threw me a curveball and mentioned th bezzera.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 8:09pm

randytsuch Said:

Randy

Posted February 22, 2011 link

+1, there are indeed other machines. I just pointed out in another thread that the Fiorenzato Bricoletta might be a posible alternative. IMO, it has a couple pro's and con's when compared to the Anita, with each machine having a feature or two that the other lacks, but at $1259 it's an easy choice over the Anita. My Bric is almost 8 years old, I've had it turned on 24/7 for the last 3 years and before that it was used in a restaurant. I just tore it apart to replace the O-rings in the E-61 group and it looks like it's never been apart before. Additionally, all the major components appear to be original so it may have been up and running for over 7 years with nothing but the occasional descalling and group gasket. I an very happy with every aspect of my Bric and would suggest that anyone looking to spend under $1500 on a machine take a good look at one. Heck, considering what some of it's competition is selling for, make that "anyone looking to spend under $1800."
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 8:38pm

Bric is 1900 watts - need a 20 amp circuit for that - plus it is overkill for a couple shots a day.  I could have gone Wega if I wanted for the price of your Bric - same reason I didn't go Wega is why I wouldn't go Bric.  Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and I am sure it will make good espresso, but unless you leave it on 24/7 (any small children? potential for burns there...) the waiting time to heat up is going to be longer than I would care for in the morning and the power bill difference over 7 years time would make the Silvano about half the price of ownership of the Bric.

Not every situation is the same and what is practical in one setting might not make sense in another.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
tovarishch

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 6:24pm

I have owned Silvano for several months and am very pleased with the unit. The machine is well built and nice to look at. Do not, however, plan to make several cups quickly. Need to allow a few seconds for steam and water to heat up.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quickmill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445110082626)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+