Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rotwang
rotwang
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 12:25am
Subject: Re: Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!

justpete Said:

I accept that I won't be making great espresso w/o a grinder... what I'm trying to get to is the next level beyond what the Breville offers, and I don't think that would take much.  However, with that said, what would be the price range for an introductory DB or HX machine?  And also, I am keeping an open mind and will get a grinder if I feel it's absolutely necessary.

We typically only make espresso's twice a week, on the weekends in the morning.

Posted February 27, 2011 link

Over $1,000.   And they'll be larger.  I can't imagine spending that much without having a good grinder.  But if you're only using it on the weekends, maybe 2 hand grinders isn't nuts after all.  And if aesthetics are important, do I have a link for you... drool over these VINTAGE BEAUTIES.  My KyM is in there somewhere.  None of these sold for more than $100.
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 5:28am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

And what kind of machine was it?

justpete Said:

What kind was it?  Not sure - but I've attached a picture.

It is hard to tell with the hot water delivery system in the way, but the espresso making machine in the picture (far right) looks like a Mazzer.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 5:54am

justpete Said:

what I'm trying to get to is the next level beyond what the Breville offers, and I don't think that would take much.

So little, in fact, that a good grinder and depressurizing the portafilter probably gets you there.

justpete Said:

However, with that said, what would be the price range for an introductory DB or HX machine?  And also, I am keeping an open mind and will get a grinder if I feel it's absolutely necessary.

About triple your budget including the grinder.

justpete Said:

just curious as to what the next level would dictate, and what might some models be?  I admit that I don't like the idea of having to wait for the machine to heat up/cool down before being able to make the next espresso.

A Ponte Vecchio Export takes up a very small amount of counter space, allows simultaneous steam and brew, but absolutely requires a good grinder (just like any other significant upgrade from the Breville).  Spring lever machines aren't compatible with everyone, however.

One of the Gaggia machines might suit your needs.  I haven't used them, but one of the guys at work swears by his.  (Yes, he has a grinder with it.)

What kind of drinks do you want to make?  How many, how quickly?  These are the questions that help you figure out which kind of hot-water system fits best.

Also, sorry for not posting the link properly earlier.  It was an oversight, not an intentional snub.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 8:02am

Slowly, Peter -- like pulling teeth -- we get additional and relevant information each time you post . . .

Seriously.

We now know:
-- you want to make good espresso;
-- you need to steam milk;
-- you only make espresso on Saturday and Sunday (so, what do you do during the week?)

The standard questions we ask, Peter, when someone wants information, are
Q1) What type of drinks do your like?
Q2) How many drinks, on average, do you need to make at any one time?
Q3) How many drinks, on average, do you make in any given week?
Q4) What is your budget, and does that include a grinder?

A1) You have been focusing on "espresso" but you keep mentioning steam, too, so can we presume you are making milk drinks? or are you drinking straight shots?
A2) We now know the answer is "two."  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
A3) We now know the answer is "four."  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
A4) $800; no grinder . . . . (Well, you know what we all think of that.)

Personally, I'd save your money.  I would look at a Gaggia Classic ($349, but it's a US vendor; I don't know if the Classic is available in Canada), or the Le'Lit PL41EM ($499.95 CDN).  These are both SDBU machines, but for as little as you appear to use the machine, I'd honestly save the $$$ and go this direction.  I used a Gaggia for 25+ years, and as long as I wasn't making more than one or two milk drinks at a time . . . the delay can be frustrating if you want to sit down and drink your lattes together, but it's fine if you make one for your SO and bring it to them in bed, then make your own.

For an entry-level HX machine, a Bezzera BZ07 runs $1,299.95 CDN.  The Bezzera BZ99 is only $1,149 CDN, but I am not familiar with it.

If all you're doing is drinking straight shots, an SBDU is fine.  But if you need to steam milk, that is when the delays come in as you wait for the boiler to adjust back-and-forth and stabilize from brew temp to steam temp to brew temp to steam temp, etc., etc., etc.

Also, if you are indeed only making two drinks a day, and only on Saturday and Sunday, then getting two hand-grinders (one for regular, one for decaf) isn't a bad solution at all.  You can get a Hario or Kyocera hand-grinder for less than $50 CDN.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:33am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Slowly, Peter -- like pulling teeth -- we get additional and relevant information each time you post . . .

Seriously.

Posted February 28, 2011 link

Totally.  It's why I said:

justpete Said:

I hope I've provided all the relevant info.  Please let me know if not.

In my very first post.

So I think I'll probably go with the Lelit PL41. Or perhaps the Bezzera BZ07 if I feel like splurging.

I also think I mentioned before - but I will be making Latte's and Cappucino's primarily.  And your numbers are correct - 4 drinks per week.

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:37am

wbaguhn Said:

So little, in fact, that a good grinder and depressurizing the portafilter probably gets you there.

Perhaps I can de-pressurize the portafilter until I decide on a new one.  Is this related to the horrid noise that the Breville makes?  The 'jerking' that I'm hearing?

wbaguhn Said:

What kind of drinks do you want to make?  How many, how quickly?  These are the questions that help you figure out which kind of hot-water system fits best.

Two drinks, in succession, at a time.  Lattes or Cappucinos.

wbaguhn Said:

Also, sorry for not posting the link properly earlier.  It was an oversight, not an intentional snub.

No need to apologize - I knew which document you were referring to and didn't interpret it as a snub.

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
laservet
laservet

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Versalab M3, Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Zojirushi
Drip: Bunn SmartWave APS, Bodum...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:12am

justpete Said:

This has to be a the most annoying forum in the history of the internet.  Congrats.  What a waste of time.  I'm sorry I came here.

Just curious, do you think your snotty attitude makes it more likely or less likely that you will be treated with respect here? As far as the most annoying forum in the history of the internet, you obviously don't get around much. Some of the sports forums would already have you walking funny. These guys are giving you good advice, BTW.

Personally, with your budget I'd buy one of these:

click here

Without a good grinder and fresh beans you won't be able to tell the difference between what you get from this and what you would get from a more expensive machine since the coffee will be your limiting factor. Down the road when you finally get a good grinder, then your machine will be the limiting factor and you will want to upgrade the machine at that time.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:20am

laservet Said:

Just curious, do you think your snotty attitude makes it more likely or less likely that you will be treated with respect here? As far as the most annoying forum in the history of the internet, you obviously don't get around much. Some of the sports forums would already have you walking funny. These guys are giving you good advice, BTW.

click here

Without a good grinder and fresh beans you won't be able to tell the difference between what you get from this and what you would get from a more expensive machine since the coffee will be your limiting factor. Down the road when you finally get a good grinder, then your machine will be the limiting factor and you will want to upgrade the machine at that time.

Now they are, but that took a while.  And btw, I've probably been "on the internet" longer than you've known it's existed, in all seriousness.  I only say that because that's the second time someone has suggested "I haven't been around much" - and lastly, my "snotty" attitude was reciprocal to the attitude(s) first displayed in this thread - that is all.

Given that I need to grind two types of beans, are there many grinders that provide for a second hopper as an accessory?  Or perhaps I would just order the part?

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:36am

laservet Said:

click here

+ 1,000,000 and then some.  I visit a body building forum just to read the latest flames thrown out to a regrettable soul that either loves the abuse or just does not get it.  That member posts the exact same idiotic questions there that he posts here and on H-B.  The tone and inferences to illegal and immoral crimes against nature they suggest he commit on himself or his family are stock responses by now. They make us look like a Sunday school class by comparison.  

To the OP:  Get out of bed on the weekend and drive/walk to a coffee shop so you can get your drink and the other person can get theirs.  No grinder required.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:42am

EricBNC Said:

+ 1,000,000 and then some.  I visit a body building forum just to read the latest flames thrown out to a regrettable soul that either loves the abuse or just does not get it.  That member posts the exact same idiotic questions there that he posts here and on H-B.  The tone and inferences to illegal and immoral crimes against nature they suggest he commit on himself or his family are stock responses by now. They make us look like a Sunday school class by comparison.  

To the OP:  Get out of bed on the weekend and drive/walk to a coffee shop so you can get your drink and the other person can get theirs.  No grinder required.

You've contributed nothing positive to this thread whatsoever.  Would you please refrain from posting in it?

Sigh. No ignore button.

showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.593357086182)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+