Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Zaffiro - problems and help needed
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Zaffiro -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
beero

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 5:30am
Subject: Zaffiro - problems and help needed

Hi all

I bought a lightly used Isomac Zaffiro and intially im having some problems with it that i would like some advise on.

1. Brew temp seems to be too hot. If i leave the machine to warm up and flush water through it seems to be coming out way over temp with water spitting from the shower screen and flashing to steam. It takes allot of flushing to get it back down to what i consider normal temp (going by eye) say about 30-40 seconds plus. Is that normal ? I need to do a quick check with a thermometer to confirm what i think but if i brew a shot at the top of the boiler cycle i get espresso spitting out the portafilter half way through the shot !

2 Boiler pressure seems off. The pressure gauge stays at about 4bar even when the machine is off sitting idle and i open the steam valve then when i have fully warmed the machine and pull a shot it goes right up to 13bar. The OVP kicks in at 14.5.

Are both these issues related and should i adjust a few things myself to correct these ? Im reluctant to fiddle with two parameters on a machine i dont know allot. need  advise so please help if you can.

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
beero

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 6:58am
Subject: Re: Zaffiro - problems and help needed

Could this be a pressurestat issue ? Ive read these are pretty unreliable on the Zaff
bluehaze

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 8:41am

Not sure if you are confusing brew pressure with boiler pressure? Boiler pressure should be around 1.1-1.2 bar. I had the same problem with my rituale, the previous owner had the pstat set to 1.5 and the machine would flash boil for 10-15 seconds LOL I dialed it down to where it bounces between 1.1 and 1.2 and only get a couple seconds of flash boiling. Sounds like you have a similiar issue.
beero

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 9:27am

looking into it i think the Zaffiro only has a thermostat not pressure stat so ill have a go at turning this down. sounds like the thermostat on these machine is unreliable - are the symptoms above what youd expect if the thermostat was set too high ?
bluehaze

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:11am

Well the higher the temp the higher the pressure. I am still pretty new to all of this myself though so hopefully someone more experienced with your machine can jump in here and help you out.
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:08am

I'm almost sure the thermostat on the Zaffiro/Amica is adjustable, and it sounds like it yours may be set too high.  Make note of the current dial position, then turn it down a little.

If your pressure gauge is reading 4-ish while idling (also see below), then that is consistent with the thermostat set too high.  In fact, that would also be consistent with a shorted (i.e. failed closed) brew thermostat.  I think the steam thermostat on these machines is set for a temperature corresponding with between 3 and 4 bar gauge pressure.

A quick word about interpreting the readings on the pressure gauge.  This machine doesn't have a vacuum breaker, so there will be so-called "false pressure" in the boiler as it heats up.  Once it is up to stable operating temperatures, you can relieve the false pressure by cracking the steam valve for a few seconds, then closing it again.  At this point, your pressure gauge reading can be matched up with standard steam tables to give you an estimate of the boiler temperature.  If you look up 4 bars gauge pressure (approx. 5 bars absolute pressure), you'll see that this corresponds to a little more than 150C (300F).  A properly adjusted thermostat should be closer to 105C (221F), which would read just slightly over 0 bars on the gauge.

The high reading (14.5 bar) during brewing is not related to temperature, but does suggest that the OPV should be adjusted (loosened) for a lower pressure.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
beero

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 2:44pm

thanks for the reply JGG!

The thermostat is definitely adjustable so i will try that first.

As for the pressure gauge though this reads at 4.5bar when the machine is left off and not warmed up , even if i open the valves the pressure valve doesnt move - is that normal.
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 3:49pm

beero Said:

As for the pressure gauge though this reads at 4.5bar when the machine is left off and not warmed up , even if i open the valves the pressure valve doesnt move - is that normal.

Posted February 28, 2011 link

Don't think so.  Sounds like your gauge may have a problem.  Hopefully someone else lurking hereabouts will be able to tell you if it is fixable!

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
beero

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 5:50am

Thought it was odd. Seems like ill need to take a look at this machine !
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Zaffiro -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.475333929062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+