Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 9 first page previous page
Author Messages
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 8:12pm
Subject: Re: Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!

The duo just came up on another thread, and I remember someone saying it uses a thermoblock for the steamer.  With a thermoblock, you may be dissappointed with the steaming power of the duo.

The Lelit, gaggia classic and the Silvia are the most recommended single boiler machines.

Randy
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 9:51pm

frcn Said:

It is also clear that he did not want to do his own homework. He could have spent his time (instead of wasting ours) by going to  the online sellers in whom he would do business, see what is offered, check user reviews (plenty on coffeegeek alone), narrow down his choices, and then bring a few favorites to the table to get additional feedback here in the forums. But it was evidently far more convenient for him to use us as his personal shoppers, without giving us any real details upon which we could realistically make an accurate  choice. And then he gets rude when he did not get the answers he was looking for.

And to justpete - there are many dozens of people here who have spent a long time making espresso at home. Many who spend time, every day, answering questions like yours. We have wasted our own money, and seen many others waste their money as well, getting junk espresso machines (like the Brevilles), and even those getting better machines, dropping their entire wad and deciding to not buy a grinder. Those original replies were meant to educate you, yet you decided to take a rude stance: "...save the lectures..." were your words. Well, too bad for you. You wonder why some users turned against you to some degree in this thread? Look at your first response (the 4th post in this thread) and see if you can read it with a neutral perspective, and think how it appears to someone who doesn't know you - a disinterested third party. If you can do that, you might be able to see that the only surprising thing is that people continued trying to assist you after that post.

Posted February 28, 2011 link

+1 [Love this post]

In all my time on the internet, in countless forums, the biggest pet peeve of forum users I've ever seen Is a guy who shows up, does absolutely no original research, asks questions that have been answered thousands of times previously.......

I spent quite a lot of time reading and enjoying these forums, and home espresso for that matter before I decided it was time to join the discussion. In fact I can honestly say that all of the advice that I ever needed when I first came here was easily found by reading the guides and searching, hence the reason why I have yet to start a single topic here (and am on my 3rd home setup).

The standard operating procedure on every forum I've ever been on has been the following:

1. Person with zero posts registers and immediately posts a question that has been answered in depth all over the forum. (Many have a feature that blocks new users from posting a topic for just this reason)

2. 10-15 regular members reply chastising the OP for his/her lack of research, and for cluttering up the forum with yet another: What's the best way to.... (question that has  been asked and answered previously many times)? thread.

3. A moderator arrives on the scene to lock down and delete or move the thread out of said forum.

4. Some forums are even more strict than this and threaten to ban or just immediately ban the OP.
    (Especially one who becomes rude)

That being said, this has to be the most forgiving, nicest group of people I've ever encountered on a forum.
Based on past internet forum experience, as I watched this thread unfold from post 1 on, I fully and completely expected JonR or another mod to show up and lock this thread and most likely warn Pete about his attitude. Instead what has happened has completely floored me. The people here are much nicer and more generous than any others I have encountered. WOW. Many of you folks have much more patience and kindness than I've ever seen, especially on the net. I applaud you.

Happy pulling,
-James

Load and Lock.
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 9:52pm

justpete Said:

Perhaps I can de-pressurize the portafilter until I decide on a new one.  Is this related to the horrid noise that the Breville makes?  The 'jerking' that I'm hearing?

This is the first I've heard that your Breville might not be working "properly".  I'm not in your kitchen making espresso, I have no idea what you're hearing.

A pressurized portafilter attempts to compensate for an inadequate grinder, creating a false crema by forcing the "espresso" through a small hole, which makes it somewhat foamy.  It's slightly more espresso-like than thin watery coffee, but it's not as good as the real thing.

justpete Said:

Wouldn't you be able to figure out which grind setting gave you the best product, and then just use the same setting for each going forward? Or is there something I'm missing here.. ?

Yes, sort of.  Different blends at different ages want slightly different grind settings for a given dose and tamp.  Change coffees, make adjustments.  A few days older, make adjustments.  Different dose, make adjustments.  Some people prefer to adjust dose, some people prefer to adjust tamp, some people prefer to adjust grind size.

justpete Said:

I'm not that serious about Espresso, so I'm having trouble making the jump from $1000 to $1500.. ya know?

I didn't really like espresso until I got a good setup.  I drank it, but I didn't really like it.  I still don't consider myself all that "serious" about it.

It's a lot easier to enjoy great espresso than bad espresso, and it's much easier to make great espresso with a good setup.

The good news is that a quality setup should last quite a while.  If you break down the $1500 price over two years of weekends, it's only about $15 a weekend for the gear.

You may want to consider getting a timer to start the espresso machine for the weekdays; letting it warm up early makes it much easier to make espresso during the week.  (Mine clicks on around 4:30am, so when I get up I can pull a shot.)

Good luck.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:24pm

JtothaR Said:

Based on past internet forum experience, as I watched this thread unfold from post 1 on, I fully and completely expected JonR or another mod to show up and lock this thread and most likely warn Pete about his attitude.

I was watching the thread closely for rules violations. We only usually lock threads when there's a member who has started breaking rules, and refuses to stop or other members start jumping in breaking rules. I had confidence in the members to stay within the rules, not post personal attacks, and let the conversation run its course. YEs, it is annoying when all the replies become clutter to the real conversation, but in this case it seems to have worked out pretty well.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:35pm

dana_leighton Said:

I was watching the thread closely for rules violations. We only usually lock threads when there's a member who has started breaking rules, and refuses to stop or other members start jumping in breaking rules. I had confidence in the members to stay within the rules, not post personal attacks, and let the conversation run its course. YEs, it is annoying when all the replies become clutter to the real conversation, but in this case it seems to have worked out pretty well.

+1

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:54pm

(

wbaguhn Said:

Yes, sort of.  Different blends at different ages want slightly different grind settings for a given dose and tamp.  Change coffees, make adjustments.  A few days older, make adjustments.  Different dose, make adjustments.  Some people prefer to adjust dose, some people prefer to adjust tamp,
I didn't really like espresso until I got a good setup.  I drank it, but I didn't really like it.  I still don't consider myself all that "serious" about it.
It's a lot easier to enjoy great espresso than bad espresso, and it's much easier to make great espresso with a good setup.
The good news is that a quality setup should last quite a while.  If you break down the $1500 price over two years of weekends, it's only about $15 a weekend for the gear.

You may want to consider getting a timer to start the espresso machine for the weekdays; letting it warm up early makes it much easier to make espresso during the week.  (Mine clicks on around 4:30am, so when I get up I can pull a shot.)
Good luck.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me.

I got a good deal on the Ascaso Steel Duo (Click Here (www.1st-line.com)). A doserless I-steel conical burr grinder, aluminum tamper, the ability to make two at a time (the SO said this was necessary), free shipping, 3 different steam tips (Froth, single, triple), the entire idrinkcoffee package (frother pitcher, cups, spoons), and all for a very reasonable price (under $1000).  I'm very excited.

Thank you and everyone else for all of your wonderful help. I was overwhelmed with all of the choices.  I had no idea buying an espresso maker would be so complicated.  I've learned a great deal, despite the first few initial posts.  And yes, I could have observed more and learned a bit more on my own, but the more I read the more I was confused - so I came to the forum - there's a lot of terminology out there that causes quite a bit of confusion.

I'm still going to have to figure out what to do about the two types of beans, though!  :)

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
daschlag

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Cuisinart programmable...
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 5:07am

Sweet!  I'm happy for you and kinda jealous, I seriously considered this combo myself.  Let us know how you like it?  An unboxing vid would totally make my day.  That is one beautiful machine!
justpete

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 8:49am

daschlag Said:

Sweet!  I'm happy for you and kinda jealous, I seriously considered this combo myself.  Let us know how you like it?  An unboxing vid would totally make my day.  That is one beautiful machine!

Posted March 1, 2011 link

haha, why do you want an unboxing video?  I will try my best for you! :)

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
daschlag

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Cuisinart programmable...
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 3:06pm

justpete Said:

haha, why do you want an unboxing video?  I will try my best for you! :)

Posted March 1, 2011 link

Just to see 'what could have been'.  I would have gone this route but chose the Vario grinder instead, so I can still grind drip and press.  Anyway I can't wait to hear what you think of the new setup.
showing page 9 of 9 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.519352912903)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+