Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Stumped with my Rancilio Silvia
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Stumped with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
emosbaugh

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 9:24am
Subject: Stumped with my Rancilio Silvia

I recently purchased a Rancilio Silvia used off of Craigslist and I am having a lot of trouble pulling a shot. I am finding that I pull a shot in about 8 - 10 seconds (waaaaaay too quick), which is really weak. I watched the videos linked to on youtube and read a lot and am using good quality espresso ground day of with a high end machine. I've tried adjusting the pressure with which I am tamping but this seems way to far off.

Is there something wrong I could be doing? Is the something that may be wrong with my machine that I could fix myself? If not, are there people around that can service these machines? I live in Los Angeles in case anyone knows of any repair shops.

Thanks!
Ethan
 View Profile Link to this post
charlano

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 10:06am
Subject: Re: Stumped with my Rancilio Silvia

There is only one solution for that and it is 4words: Buy a QUALITY grinder. Just read on thé forum there is a LOT of information about it.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 10:08am

"What is your grinder?" he first asked, then quickly he ducked for cover to await the outcome.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emosbaugh

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 10:21am

Intelligentsia is just down the street from me. I had them grind with the huuuuge grinder they have just before i tried pulling multiple shots. i know i need a grinder and need to tune to my machine but i just wanna make sure my espresso machine is in good working order.

thanks
emosbaugh

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 10:25am

also, do you really think it could affect the outcome THAT much. to the tune of one third the time to pull the shot??? i'm sure their grinder is much better than the one i will end up purchasing.
Oscar2

Espresso: Krups XP4030 w/unpressured...
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Yama SY5
Drip: Cuisinart DGB-900
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 10:35am

emosbaugh Said:

also, do you really think it could affect the outcome THAT much. to the tune of one third the time to pull the shot??? i'm sure their grinder is much better than the one i will end up purchasing.

Posted March 1, 2011 link

Since the shot is only taking 8-10 sec that means you need to grind (or have them grind) finer and you need to tamp harder. Shoot for a 20-30 sec.
Also, your machine is just fine, there is no failure mode for "too fast 'a shot".
jbb
jbb
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia v2, la spaziale s1v1
Grinder: rocky, b. vario
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 10:40am

Hi Ethan

Welcome to CG.  As you've heard, you need a quality grinder.  Can't stress it enough.  

From my knowledge of them, if you got your coffee from Intelligentsia your coffee should be of good quality and fresh. Does it have a roast date on the bag?  use within 2 weeks post-roast is a rule of thumb around here.  And if you specifically told them to grind for espresso it is possible that you are in a grind range where you can produce a good shot from your Silvia, although, as you can see, without a grinder you have no control over this variable at all.  

But having a sense of how much coffee you are using to build your shot is also a linked variable you need to consider.  Do you have a way to weigh the coffee you are placing in the basket?  Even a cheap kitchen scale will do.  14-16 g for a 2 oz shot is a rough ballpark for the Silvia.  With the coffee that you currently have, if you increase the amount of coffee that you place in the basket, do you see any slowing of the flow rate through the machine at all?  If not, you need a finer grind, fresher beans, or both.  Increasing your tamping force gives you some control but matters surprisingly little.  And if you are using the little plastic tamper that may have come with your Silvia, forget about it.  

Good luck.
emosbaugh

Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 11:25am

Hi jbb,

Thanks for the reply!

I am not at home right now so I cannot check if there is a roast date but I would assume that the beans are fresh as the turnover at that place is crazy. I do not currently have an accurate way to weight the coffee. I have just been leveling off the single and double basket as an estimate. I am using a heavy metal tamper that I purchased separately.

So as i understand it, if I increase the coffee i should see a slower flow rate? I've also heard that it should be easier to get the desired results from the double basket so I have been experimenting mostly with that. Is this correct?

I'm just soooo far off from the mid 20 seconds where I would like to be at... I will play around tonight with increasing and decreasing the amounts of coffee I use.

Thanks again,
Ethan
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 11:49am

Ethan,

Several times a week someone new to espresso comes here to ask how to make good coffee without a grinder. The answer is always going to be same: it ain't gonna happen.

You can change dose, you can tamp from 5# to 100# and you can fly home from the roaster with the beans so fresh they are still warm but it won't make good espresso happen.

I know it's not easy for someone just starting out to hear, along with the machine that just set them back a hand full of hundreds, they also have to fork over a few more hundred for a grinder.....but it's the truth.

Dan Brewer
jbb
jbb
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia v2, la spaziale s1v1
Grinder: rocky, b. vario
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 1:03pm

hey ethan

none of this changes that you need a grinder, but i get the sense that you'd feel better if you could at least slow the flow through your machine.  the pre-ground beans you bought are no good to you.  as an imperfect thing, stop by Intelly on your way home.  get a coffee and if there is a still minute see if the barista will grind you up 30 g or so from the hopper and tell them why.  They may look at you funny, but when i've been to the Intelly in Silver Lake i know the baristas have seemed pretty friendly if that is the one you live by.  

Go home and do your experiment.  The chemical goodness in the beans that produces great espresso will have mostly deteriorated by the time you do so.  Do not expect a good shot.  But if you act quickly you may at least be able to convince yourself that if you pack enough coffee in the basket you can provide increased resistance to flow or even clog your machine.  no matter what the outcome, however, if you are to move on you'll need to pony up and get a grinder.  

As others have said there lots of info on here to help your choose, plus the BST section of the site may help you find some deals.  

It can be frustrating at first, but, once you get a grinder you'll have taken a big step towards having things come together in a rewarding way.  Plus it sounds like you may well be within walking distance of good coffee while you are on the steep end of the learning curve.  out here in riverside (or most other places for that matter) its not so easy.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Stumped with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485642910004)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+