Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 22 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SteveZ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S27
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Mar 8, 2011, 4:14pm
Subject: Re: The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)

CWWang Said:

This is a clever way to do this. I just fix my hot water problem. The problem is on electrovalve. It is blocked by scale. After I break apart and clean it, it work well.
But before I doing that, I made a big stupid mistake. I use multimeter to check the voltage and "current". When I check the voltage, I found there is no problem with switching on and off. However I want to make sure, I detect the current. Then I saw a spark on the circuit board.  The fuse burned. I replace a new one, But I can not switch off any more. It is turn on all the time......

I still want to fix the circuit board, but there is no sign of burn like yours. I think the easy way is to add a momentary switch like what you did.

Posted March 5, 2011 link

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the fried board.

In a home environment, I think the La Marzocco switch works as well if not better than the original "dose at a time". Momentary is the wrong word; you just hold it down for water and it springs to the closed position when released.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nathan

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Tue Mar 8, 2011, 6:45pm

Yes! He lowered the price to 150$ and I got it for 125$. Not sure if that's an amazing price, but I went for it regardless. It's missing it's drip tray cover and the side and top-back panels. So I have to fashion my own.

I want to rewire it, but I don't know where to get the silicon wire. I need the new knob and it's even missing filter baskets and other stuff.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CWWang

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel. La Peppina....
Grinder: La San Marco SM91
Posted Wed Mar 9, 2011, 3:51am

Hey StevenZ
I fix my hot water problem by doing something on the circuit board.
I switch 1 to 2, and 3 to 4. Hope it will also work on your board.

CWWang: ap_20070821113052417.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Nathan

Posted Wed Mar 9, 2011, 10:26am

Those are octocouplers, they disconnect the two electrical circuits (AC/DC in this case). You should be able to replace them quite cheaply as well. They are used to monitor the switches and buttons and I believe to trigger the electro-switches that at least some of the S20s use.

Are yours soldered directly to the board? I'm doing a restoration of a S27 but I haven't gotten that far yet.

EDIT: just took a look at a photo of the board that I have. Everything is indeed soldered to the board. Pretty crazy looking thing. Z80 processor, sheesh. I bet this thing could be shrunk down nowadays.
SteveZ

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 7:10am

Kevin, nice troubleshooting work there!

So #1 & 2 in the picture are optocouplers.  Are #3 & 4 (hidden by the heat sink) the power transistors?  

I'm not so sure that it makes sense to fix my board at this point.  Everything is working well and not sure if I could face the wife in the morning if my board repair skills proved less than adequate.

My money is on Napier eventually building a Universal Espresso Controller with a matching app for my phone! (nice post on Home-Barista)
CWWang

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel. La Peppina....
Grinder: La San Marco SM91
Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 8:48am

to Napier, everything is soldered to the board.

You guys are too good. I don't even know what those gadget are. I just surf on a website for repairing espresso. According to what they say, this is a common problem for S27. If the wire of hot water switch is good, then the problem might be optocouplers and power transistors.

There is no problem to install, but the hardest part is too remove it, especially for power transistors. The legs of the transistor is too fit. I have to clean all the solder of course and use a lot of force to remove it while heating it.
Fortunately, they are too strong to break it, even too hot to hold it (I wonder why does it can be broken by current but not broken by heat up to 70C or more).

Anyway, Steven, I know your machine is good enough. The program of hot water is useless for home user. I just want to play with it. Maybe this is a start for writing an app.
Nathan

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 7:36pm

Thanks Steve,

I'm just glad I'm putting these skills to work. I think after a while it will be a pretty cool project. Still cleaning up the code as much as possible.
Nathan

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011, 6:57pm

I got my circuit board out, wondering what people know about this blue thing. What is that? I believe it's some sort of jumper. There are two on the board, this particular one is near the top left and it is disconnected. How does everyone elses look like?

Nathan: IMG_0698.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SteveZ

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011, 8:16pm

I believe that one is for the "economizer" circuit on some S20 models. If open it has the pump run when the hot water function is activated. Economizer valve mixes pumped cold and hot boiler water to control the hot water temperature.

The other jumper disables programming of dose buttons. That's near the upper right.
Nathan

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011, 6:57am

Oh very cool. I was taking the wiring harness out of my s27 and I didn't really understand what that fork in the piping from the pump was for! These things are really complicated with the number of electro valves etc. In some ways this machine does the same thing as a Silvia, but they're 100 times more complicated considering that Silvia has pretty much nothing going on inside of it. It's really fascinating how efficient the consumer models are.
showing page 22 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35357093811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+