Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 23 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SteveZ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S27
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011, 9:38am
Subject: Re: The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)

Nathan Said:

Oh very cool. I was taking the wiring harness out of my s27 and I didn't really understand what that fork in the piping from the pump was for! These things are really complicated with the number of electro valves etc. In some ways this machine does the same thing as a Silvia, but they're 100 times more complicated considering that Silvia has pretty much nothing going on inside of it. It's really fascinating how efficient the consumer models are.

Posted March 12, 2011 link

Sorry, I mistyped and misled you. The Economizer feature is only on some S20 models. The same control board is used for the s27 and two group DE models but the economizer valve & piping is not in the s27.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nathan

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011, 6:19pm

Just when I thought I knew how things worked...

I took another look and thought about it some more. I realize now that it's probably that one feeds into the boiler, and the other feeds the HX. I'm not 100% sure how it works though.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aleks192

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: Wega Max 6.4
Roaster: Toastess Popper
Posted Mon Mar 14, 2011, 7:45pm

Finally mounted a switch, unfortunately I can't find any double rockers in calgary....shocking....So I ganged 2 singles together for the time being.....Anyhow, left switch is line pressure, right switch is pump....works slick, and has drastically increased the quality of my shots, as my rotary pump no longer blasts the puck to pieces with instant pressure....goodbye channeling!

aleks192: talpgp.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Rancilio S24 Rotary Red | Wega Max 6.4
Nathan

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 11:25am

Wow,  really like the look of the S20 drip tray. My unit is missing it. I wonder if I can find one for cheap.

Anyhow, that looks really nice, can you show the wiring? Is it messy? Did you have to play with the wiring harness for this mod? I originally wanted to totally rewire my machine, but now I can't find the wire so I don't want to do any wiring harness mods at all. So I wonder how much you're splicing things.
aleks192

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2011, 6:17pm

Nathan Said:

Wow,  really like the look of the S20 drip tray. My unit is missing it. I wonder if I can find one for cheap.

Anyhow, that looks really nice, can you show the wiring? Is it messy? Did you have to play with the wiring harness for this mod? I originally wanted to totally rewire my machine, but now I can't find the wire so I don't want to do any wiring harness mods at all. So I wonder how much you're splicing things.

Posted March 15, 2011 link

No splicing at all........

Brown and Black are power, Red is solenoid, Blue is pump. all four at plugged into the single switch (DPST switch), and you just replace with a 2 switch single unit (readily available everywhere except here), or two singles like I did..... the one has black/blue on the poles, the other red/brown. Super simple and no splicing of anything.

Nathan

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2011, 2:10pm

I'm reconditioning a scaled up s27. What's the recommendation for the S20 series in regards to replacing the boiler gasket? Should I do it? I haven't opened up the boiler, so I feel as if I might be safe in not having to replace it. I'm descaling it by pouring into the boiler holes.
Nathan

Posted Sun Mar 20, 2011, 7:04pm

Can someone tell me if the anti-vacuum valve is supposed to be really loose. As in, when you pull on the tab it lifts up with ease? On mine I think it would open if I put the boiler upside down. Is that how it's supposed to behave? Or has something snapped off of it?

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_415
aleks192

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 1:19pm

Nathan Said:

Can someone tell me if the anti-vacuum valve is supposed to be really loose. As in, when you pull on the tab it lifts up with ease? On mine I think it would open if I put the boiler upside down. Is that how it's supposed to behave? Or has something snapped off of it?

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_415

Posted March 20, 2011 link

Nope, vacuum breaker valve is loose, its just a pin with an oring underneath it that seals when boiler pressure pushes the pin upward

Nathan

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 7:06pm

Anyone ever dealt with removing the boiler gasket of a s20 unit? I don't want to gouge around the rim, but I need to remove the cracked scraps of gasket that broke into little pieces when I opened the boiler.
SteveZ

Espresso: Rancilio S27
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:54pm

Nathan Said:

Anyone ever dealt with removing the boiler gasket of a s20 unit? I don't want to gouge around the rim, but I need to remove the cracked scraps of gasket that broke into little pieces when I opened the boiler.

Posted March 22, 2011 link

I used a cheap plastic putty knife to get the majority of the gasket off and then polished it up with some very fine steel wool.

How does the inside of your boiler look?
showing page 23 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.406480073929)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+