Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 25 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Nathan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Fri Jun 10, 2011, 3:59pm
Subject: Re: The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)

I have a used machine that didn't come with a supply hose. It says in the manual to use a 3/8" hose to supply the machine. But the brass fitting below the drip tray does not appear to be 3/8". I imagine they are referring to the supply tap, and that it goes from 3/8" to some other measurement. I'm estimating 1/2", but wondering if anyone knows for certain?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kzin

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia/S24
Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 2:41pm

I just got a S24 from a friend. Upon starting it up, it filled the boiler with ~2liters of water and started to heat up. However, the orange light on the left lower side is constantly on. In the manual it states: "if the lamp stays on, this means that the autolevel has not been activated. Ensure that the water supply tap is open, otherwise the machine must be switched off and authorized personnel must be consulted". The light will go out if I take the air trap out, but then the machine will not heat up. Any ideas how to fix this?
 View Profile Link to this post
carbonkid85

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Prima Popper!
Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012, 7:44am

Hello all

Currently fixing up an S24 (what a beautiful machine!).

I have swapped the pump and the boiler is now auto-filling okay. The steam wand and hot water outlet are functioning perfectly, and the water is coming out really clean for a machine which has been in storage for so long.

The brew circuit is not working, however. Electronics are all fine, the pump kicks in but barely a drip comes from the group head. Does this sound like a solenoid problem to you? Am I right in thinking that the part I need to strip out and clean is the piece which the pump outlet hose attaches to on the lower right of the machine?

Thanks for your help. I can't wait to get this machine working again...
carbonkid85

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Prima Popper!
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 5:56am

Awesome set of schematics for all S20 series and Epoca machines can be found here:

Click Here (www.mrcappuccino.com)
MXJ

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S20 3 DE, Silvia
Grinder: La San Marco SM 95
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 7:30pm

Hello All

I have just restored a 2 group S20 MIDI. All the functions works correctly, except the hot water control. It seems to be opening and closing, intermediately, very fast(spikes). Sometimes it will sit there for a long time and do nothing at all, end then it would start to play up for a few pulses, en then just sit there quietly.

When you push the dispensing button it works correctly.

I have done a calibration on the amount of hot water it dispenses, and it works fine every time I push the button. The push button is new, the solenoid valve is new. I have removed the control card and cleaned it thoroughly with a electronic card cleaning solution, but the problem still persists

Any ideas what else could be causing this problem?

Regards

Max
jacbri
jacbri

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:01pm

Max,
Replace the wires going to the hot water wand. It may seem crazy but a friend of mine had the same problem. We scraped the crud off the wires and it worked fine....then replaced the wires. Get High temp wires for this machine.
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:02pm

jacbri Said:

Max,
Replace the wires going to the hot water wand. It may seem crazy but a friend of mine had the same problem. We scraped the crud off the wires and it worked fine....then replaced the wires. Get High temp wires for this machine.

Posted June 15, 2013 link

...If that does not work then its your solenoid
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:04pm

jacbri Said:

...If that does not work then its your solenoid

Posted June 15, 2013 link

ooops just read your whole message. Definitely seems to be a bad wire.
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:07pm

Carbonkid,
run some citric acid through your machine for a day. Bake all that excessive buildup out of the grouphead. I promise this will work. You will be able to kill two birds with one stone using this method.
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:10pm

Kzin Said:

I just got a S24 from a friend. Upon starting it up, it filled the boiler with ~2liters of water and started to heat up. However, the orange light on the left lower side is constantly on. In the manual it states: "if the lamp stays on, this means that the autolevel has not been activated. Ensure that the water supply tap is open, otherwise the machine must be switched off and authorized personnel must be consulted". The light will go out if I take the air trap out, but then the machine will not heat up. Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted September 17, 2011 link

Not sure if the S24 has a dipstick but I will say that all the others do. This "dipstick" when in contact with water shuts off the autofill and then the orange light goes off. At least thats what happens on my machine. I would investigate this and if it has one clean it off. Probably just a bad connection.

Note: even if you use the best water in these machines. 99% of problems are due to limescale buildup.
showing page 25 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386085987091)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+