Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Steaming milk on a Quickmill Silvano
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Steaming milk on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
innermusic
innermusic
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Macap MXK
Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 8:00pm
Subject: Steaming milk on a Quickmill Silvano

I love my new Silvano for straight shots. But having a little trouble getting good microfoam. Any Silvano owners with some tips on steaming milk?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jtsound

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 10, 2011, 2:15pm
Subject: Re: Steaming milk on a Quickmill Silvano

I can't say that i'm getting any latte art quality microfoam yet but I have been making some damn good tasting cappucino's. What I'm doing might not be what you are after but after some initially dissapointing results I have started to enjoy my drinks a lot since I've had my Silvano. I probably made 8-10 drinks for people on mothers day and all turned out the same so consistancy is pretty good. The machine is definitly capable of doing good work once the technique of the user is up to par. I think I still have some learning to do and i'm sure the machine is capable of much more once I take the time to do some more experimentation and trial and error.

First, I have found that small amounts of milk (4-6oz) work much better than larger. I guess if you were looking for 16 oz latte's you might have bought the wrong machine.

I started with a 20 oz pitcher but changed to a 12 and that helped as well.

What I do is have the tip angled a little towards your body and close to the left side of the pitcher to get a good counterclockwise whirlpool going. Start with the tip just under the surface then lower the pitcher till you get the momentary sucking sound and the noise gets pretty quiet other than the occasional air suck sound. For me, if the steam is making a lot of noise it's not going to give you good results. Keep lowering the pitcher as the milk rises till the outside of the pitcher is just starting to get past warm to hot and/or the milk has expanded by 50-75% or so. Once it's risen to where you want it raise the pitcher/lower the tip to heat the milk to whatever you want it at but you are already probably pretty close to hot enough so a few seconds at the most and you are done. The whole process is 30-45 seconds or so but I have to admit i've never times it so I could be off.
 View Profile Link to this post
innermusic
innermusic

Posted Sat May 14, 2011, 8:32pm

Thanks for that very detailed answer. I'll being trying some of those suggestions out tomorrow.
symbology

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Mon May 16, 2011, 9:24pm

Search the Silvano threads here as this has been discussed a fair amount already.

When I had my Silvano, the biggest improvement I made was waiting for the steam pressure to build before trying to get the tip the surface.  With other machines that have a consistent output of steam it is not a big deal.   Though with the Silvano and the way the steam pulses at the beginning, well....  it can ruin your chances right out of the gate.   If the steam is not up to pressure yet, all you do is inject air into the milk and you get the surface full of bubbles etc.........   This only makes it harder to later get the swirling motion going.   So, wait for the pressure to build 3-4 seconds, then get it to swirl as you bring the tip to the surface, then drop the tip just below the surface and get it close to the inside edge (I used the right side) of the pitcher (10-12oz pitcher).  If you hit the sweet spot you will be amazed at how much of a swirling action you can get going.  If you don't hit the sweet spot, well you can end up with nothing but foamed up milk.   Angling the pitcher to the right a little bit helps as well.

Practice, practice.........

-Allen
innermusic
innermusic

Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 9:28am

Thanks for the tips. I'll be practicing alright. Work in progress.
tovarishch

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 7:36pm

What I do every time before I steam milk in my Silvano, is let the steam run in a towel right before I pull the shot until the steam light comes one. Once the light is on, I wait a second or two, pull the shot, by the time the shot is done, the steam light goes off. Steam the milk immediately after the light goes off. The steam will be much hotter. Also, use smaller pitchers. I do this with great success. Must do this especially after the machine has sat for a while, even with steam switch on the back turned on.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Steaming milk on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345663070679)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+