Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Who makes Costco's cappuccino/latte machine?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Who makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
stokerino1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 26, 2011, 11:39pm
Subject: Who makes Costco's cappuccino/latte machine?

Assume that Costco in the US and Canada are essentially the same. Some in Canada have a new and super latte machine that appears to be by the same manufacturer. The new one - and maybe even the previous one - has a compartment where a 4 litre jug of milk sits and is presumably refrigerated. It pumps out wonderful lattes automatically and many of them....seemingly with no breakdowns of the machines. Maybe I'll never have a need for such a machine but want to find out now who makes it just in case I win the lottery so I can establish my coffee joint of my dreams....sigh...
 View Profile Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 5:18am
Subject: Re: Who makes Costco's cappuccino/latte machine?

Saeco, DeLonghi, Breville.

The usual low-end consumer crap in a well styled box. Believe me....you aren't missing out on much.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:04am

The only one I could find on the Costco website that had a milk container was Click Here (www.costco.com)

Welcome to the board and sorry for the gruff reply you received from Endo. Super Automatic machines, esp. in the consumer class, are not looked at in a very positive light here. For the most part, they place convince above quality and even the best of them is only able to make an OK drink, let alone the higher level we seek here.

There are places where such a machine has a place. If you have lots of cash, are not particular about the quality of your drinks and don't want to mess with making the drink yourself, then a Super Automatic machine is right for you. They also have a place in an office situation where lots of people are going to use them and no one knows what they are doing but are wowed over by an "exotic" coffee drink.

Super Automatic machines tend to have higher maintenance issues as well as NOT being highly adjustable for quality.

Please do hang around for a while, ask questions, get to know us a little, we really are not so gruff but we do get the SA question a lot.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stokerino1

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:06am

Actually....I meant to ask about the commercial machine used by Costco itself to make lattes for members at the food kiosk after checking out (along with hot dogs, pizza, etc.).
stokerino1

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:11am

I'm guessing there's no way to include a picture in the forum so people could see what I'm talking about. Costco doesn't let people cross the line into the kitchen but I'm sure I could get a quick snap anyways.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:19am

You can add a photo (75 KB size limit) using the "Attach file" panel at the bottom of your post window. Or, you can host one elsewhere and post a link.
Of course, if you're going to Costco to snap a photo, you can probably ask them what the manufacturer of the machine is.
stokerino1

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:25am

Good...I will take a picture today! The people who work the machine know nothing about the machine itself and there doesn't appear to be a brand name visible either. Of course, I've only had a second or two to look before someone catches me having crossed the line....
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 7:33am

Welcome, Alain, to CG . . .

stokerino1 Said:

It pumps out wonderful lattes automatically and many of them....

Posted May 26, 2011 link

Uh, no.  Wayne is correct when he wrote,

calblacksmith Said:

Super Automatic machines, esp. in the consumer class, are not looked at in a very positive light here. For the most part, they place convince above quality and even the best of them is only able to make an OK drink, let alone the higher level we seek here.

Posted May 27, 2011 link

Now, admittedly, your subsequent posts made it clear you were not talking about a super automatic in the consumer (home) class, but rather in the commercial class.  But don't you think that -- if this (whatever super auto Costco is using) machine were indeed capable of pump(ing) out wonderful lattes automatically -- Starbucks would be all over this sucker?

Trust me:  compared to what you could actually make at home, Costco's super auto is "OK" at best.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
stokerino1

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 8:04am

I don't agree.... Part of the "charm" of Starbucks is that they don't do things automatically and that's part of the reason for their charging TWICE what Costco charges for their lattes that are FULLY AUTOMATICALLY made by pushing buttons. It's been many a year since I was in the business of coffee - mostly I sold and serviced commercial machines (La Cimbali and later Rancilio) starting in the mid-1970's but also a few home machines (La Pavoni, Gaggia). All of these machines have come a long way since then both quality-wise and price-wise. Costco's machine is a great one IMO - they wouldn't be using it if they hadn't tested it out for a lengthy period as they and their customers rely on its not being down for repairs (as well as the quality product it produces). I have a plethora of different machines/devices/systems for making (mostly) GREAT coffee....so I am able to offer as valid an opinion about coffee as anyone. BTW, have you even tried Costco's latte? Hint: ask for a double-shot latte!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 8:40am

There is no "charm" in *$ "coffee" The beans are stale and over roasted AND they pull all their shots on Super Auto machines, (they sold off all their GOOD espresso equipment years ago for the Supers) the "baristas" do little more than the Soda Jerk of yesteryear. . In fact, it is the rare customer that even orders anything that even resembles coffee. There is so much syrup, sprinkles, whip, milk and sugar that there is hardly any room for "coffee"

I know you said you have worked in the industry and if this is true (we have no way to know for sure, anyone can type anything they like ya know) then you have worked with equipment that will produce vastly superior drinks than any Super Auto will ever make.

If you really want a  Super Auto, well the commercial units will produce an OK drink but you are still limited in flexibility for on the fly adjustments to work with the conditions at hand. They are designed to produce the same drink, over and over with a low or no skill operator behind the buttons. They are NOT designed for outstanding drinks.

For high quality drinks at home, tap into your old network and dig up a nice condition used commercial espresso machine and grinder, the result will be MUCH better. Many of the people (EDIT) HERE  (end) have commercial equipment in the home and know how to use it. I have 2 single group and a double group commercial espresso machines with 4 commercial grinders.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Who makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366088151932)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+