Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Vintage Quick Mill Omre Monza!  Pics and questions.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Vintage Quick...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2011, 12:36pm
Subject: Vintage Quick Mill Omre Monza!  Pics and questions.

]]]]Hello all,

I just acquired a vintage Quick Mill Omre Monza machine in basically unused and fabulous condition.  It would be nice to find an original manual for this machine as I have a question about it's operation.  There is a knob on the lower right side that seems to control the output of the pump, as the pump gets louder and more water flows when turned up.  What is the ideal setting I wonder for espresso? Is it basically trial and error until I find the right pressure? I believe I figured out the knob on the upper left.  Left side of the knob controls the steam operation and the right is the espresso preparation.  Each has 2 settings.  One seems to be the warm up and the other turns on the pump.  Steam is released via a separate portafilter with a steam wand attached which I found interesting.  I would be nice to know the manufacture date, although there is an "81" stamped on the bottom so I assume 1981 is a likely date.  What I found amazing about the machine is the warm up time.  It was basically ready in about 3 minutes which is amazing! The portafilter and group were hot to the touch!  My Silvia takes a good 30 minutes to warm up.  I gather that is a thermoblock in there? Is that the reason for the fast warm up time?  I couldn't see the pump, which appears to be down below somewhere but seems to be a vibe pump.  Any comments or help would be appreciated!  

Click Here (i1237.photobucket.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
chasemonster
chasemonster

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2011, 6:52pm
Subject: Re: Vintage Quick Mill Omre Monza!  Pics and questions.

Freaking AWESOME machine! And you're in luck.
There are a couple of youtube videos for a Quick Mill 0650 which looks to be from the same era as your machine -with the noticeable difference being that both knobs are on the same side.

(The quotes are from the uploader of the videos.)

Pulling a shot - 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2M4wZZ3WSg
"My little favourite, the Super Quick 0650, one of the first vibration pump driven household espresso machines. The Gaggia Baby came in 1979, this Quick Mill is from 1976.
The machine is on temperature in 2 minutes. No kidding, you don't have to pre-heat this baby for 30-something minutes. Featuring a 58mm portafilter made of stainless steel. The water heating unit is a brass lined aluminium thermoblock weighting 2kgs. The original water container is made of thick glass. The only plastic parts are the drip tray, the operating turn knob and the portafilter handle.
The QM 0650 is making an exeptional espresso, nearly as good as a lever machine.

Pulling a shot - 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tja8-war8M0
"I only made this video to demonstrate how easy it is to pull a good shot with this little machine in 3 minutes. Yes, you need only three minutes of warm up time, then you have to do a negative temperature surf, like a cooling flush of an HX machine, then you can pull your shot.

Steaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0gIJE5t0tI
"Steaming milk with the Super Quick 0650. The steam comes from the grouphead, so you get a funny portafilter with a steam wand on it. It has a classical three hole tip which is removable for cleaning purposes. You can adjust the steam power by regulating the water pump with the radio knob on the side panel of the machine. The steam is powerful and dry just like on a serious commercial machine. The only drawback is that you always have to keep clean the grophead area if you won't like a bad taste in your milk."
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011, 7:46am

Great! I sent a message to the poster of those vids and he replied:

The knob should be at 1 or 2 o'clock for espresso and 11 o'clock for steaming.
At the top of the heating cycle (after the lamp turns out) you should do a cooling flush just as on HX machines. The flush should be around 30ml, much or less depending on your beans.

Hope this helps anyone who acquires one of these in the future.  Now, off to experiment!
Cheers
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011, 10:13am

I managed to produce some great crema on my second attempt.  My coffee is getting a bit old though, so looking forward to trying this out with some fresh roasted beans.  I simply cannot get over how fast this thing heats up.  Espresso in under 4 minutes!! Great for those unexpected guests.  Even the mail man can afford to wait, lol.  It's going to take some finesse to produce some excellent shots but definitely planning on making use of this gem.  It's only made about 10 espressos in it's entire life!!  What a shame that nobody got to enjoy it for all those years....nobody until now that is.
JMH500

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 6:21pm

Hi, I wonder if your Monza still going great. Did you have to do some repair since you got it ? If so, where did you find your parts ? I'm asking because I found a Monza with built-in grinder that I want to tuned up. Thanks.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Vintage Quick...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292110919952)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+