Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Any one here have a Crossland CC1 yet?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any one here...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ampguy
ampguy
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 5:13pm
Subject: Re: Any one here have a Crossland CC1 yet?

Thanks, nice video.

EricBNC Said:

I am taking it on faith that what it says is what I get:

http://vimeo.com/15671852

When dialing it in I ran from 195 to 203 on the machine testing for changes on a blend I am familiar with.  Satisfied that different temps produced different tastes I moved on to tasting coffee instead of measuring temps.  Sorry for a less than technical answer.  I do give the machine at least 30 minutes to warm up the PF and group so I expect stability.  

I am working with Deep Cello's Nostromo right now playing with temps - 202 F for now since it is a darker blend - what a cocoa/bakers chocolate finish on this coffee! As it cools I get sweeter milk chocolate initially - I wonder if I can get this milk chocolate all the way through the shot if I drop temps?

Posted September 19, 2011 link

View Profile Link to this post
uglykidwen

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 9:31pm

I have a previous version (GEE), but the post has been deleted due to my post against two rules of this forum (criticism and profanity).
Therefore, as a newbie I have to choose the word and sentence more carefully not to against the rule again. (difficult as a non- English speaker, every word I know is pretty straight forward).

I just like to say Bill Crossland did a great job to improve this machine, if any one has approach the previous version or (GEE) will know what I mean.
Since I got the old version not as satisfied as new version user, I think a DIY modification is highly possible to improve my satisfaction.
grant862

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Portola Coffee Lab (yum)
Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011, 10:10am

Just saw this video if anyone is curious about the time it takes to make 4 lattes on different machines...it is from SCG

8:30 - rocket
11:04 - oscar
12:45 - cc1
17:50 - silvia

Just to note, SCG used a 56 oz pitcher on the cc1 and steamed milk for 2 lattes at a time, but they note they didn't do this with the silvia b/c you run the risk of burning your boiler...whereas the cc1 autofills the boiler by pulling water into the boiler and then to the thermoblock, so no risk (i am assuming in the silvia the water goes straight to the thermoblock, someone can correct me if i'm way off basis - [I am...see post below...thanks])

Something to consider as a difference between the cc1 and the silvia

cc1 starts at about the 4 min mark in the video

Click Here (www.youtube.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011, 10:17am

grant862 Said:

Just to note, SCG used a 56 oz pitcher on the cc1 and steamed milk for 2 lattes at a time, but they note they didn't do this with the silvia b/c you run the risk of burning your boiler...whereas the cc1 autofills the boiler by pulling water into the boiler and then to the thermoblock, so no risk (i am assuming in the silvia the water goes straight to the thermoblock, someone can correct me if i'm way off basis)

Posted September 23, 2011 link

No thermoblock in the Silvia, it just heats the water in the boiler to produce steam and if you use up all the steam there is no more water boil and it burns out. For an example of what would happen fill a small pot with water and let it all boil off and see if you can still use your pot afterwards. :)

Less water, more grounds.
ampguy
ampguy

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011, 1:04pm

great video! I told you the CC1 can steam "for days..." ;)

grant862 Said:

Just saw this video if anyone is curious about the time it takes to make 4 lattes on different machines...it is from SCG

8:30 - rocket
11:04 - oscar
12:45 - cc1
17:50 - silvia

Just to note, SCG used a 56 oz pitcher on the cc1 and steamed milk for 2 lattes at a time, but they note they didn't do this with the silvia b/c you run the risk of burning your boiler...whereas the cc1 autofills the boiler by pulling water into the boiler and then to the thermoblock, so no risk (i am assuming in the silvia the water goes straight to the thermoblock, someone can correct me if i'm way off basis - [I am...see post below...thanks])

Something to consider as a difference between the cc1 and the silvia

cc1 starts at about the 4 min mark in the video

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Posted September 23, 2011 link

bure82

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 6:37am

anyone know if the triple vst basket will fit the cc1 pf
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:24pm

All of the VST baskets fit the CC1.  They are a bit tight however.  I suggest taking out the basket spring on the portafilter to make sure it does not get stuck.   The CC1 baskets have smooth sides and the VST baskets have a ridge that is supposed to engage the spring on the portafilter.  On the CC1 the spring is a bit stronger then other manufacturers becsue we have smooth sides.

BillC
bure82

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011, 7:34am

quick question

which one is the intake hose?  is it the longer one with an angle cut on the end
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011, 11:14am

Longer hose is the intake and shorter hose is the return from the OPV.

BillC
bigpointyforceps
bigpointyforceps

Espresso: Crossland CC1; Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso; Solis...
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nesco CR-1010-PRR
Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011, 1:28pm

So I finally opened up the CC1 and dialed in my grinder last night.  Was very impressed!  I used some pretty awful quality beans, and it still produced very good espresso.  Also received a few lbs of green beans from Sweet Maria's so I'm planning to really play with my new toys this weekend :o)

Couple of newbie-type questions:

1a:  I've had a poke around on the forums and noticed that people have had the same idea as me and often use an appliance timer to power up their espresso machines about an hour before they wake.  The only "warning" I've read is that for single boilers that don't have an auto-fill mechanism, there is a risk of damage.  I presume this really only applies if the machine was somehow left with the pump activated.  Given that the CC1 doesn't have mechanical switches except for power and steam, am I in the clear?

1b:  Since the CC1 has a fair amount of on-board electronics (LCD screen, temperature control, dials, etc), am I at any real risk of a power surge/spike from the appliance timer making a brick out of my espresso machine?  Would a good surge protector sandwiched between the appliance timer and the CC1 solve that problem?  

FWIW, I'm planning on getting the Intermatic DT620 timer, which has grounded outlets, is rated at 120 V, 15 A, and is apparently designed for use with air conditioners.  

2: I followed the user manual and filled the boiler before first use, waiting about 45 seconds until I could see water exiting the brew head.  Is this something I need to do regularly?

Thanks,
Yogesh
showing page 11 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any one here...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414829969406)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+