Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Delonghi EC155 and Baratza Preciso settings
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
ahavriluk

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 12:12pm
Subject: Delonghi EC155 and Baratza Preciso settings

Hi there!

If you use Delonghi EC155 with Baratza Preciso what are your Preciso settings for grinding? Thank you!

Alexander.

Thank you,
Alexander.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 1:34pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi EC155 and Baratza Preciso settings

Hey Alexander, and welcome to CoffeeGeek!
    I personally have not used a Vario, but I use a Lelit PL53 which seems to be a similar grinder. To get my grinder "in the zone," I set the grinder's settings to quite fine and pour 18g whole beans into the hopper. Then grind/even out everything and tamp, and try to get ~1.5 oz in 28 seconds. Of course, if it is longer then 28 seconds, coarsen the grind and visa versa.

I seem to get better results with a fine grind and slightly lighter tamp than 30lbs. However, the Ec155 punches a hole in the coffee bed, so to help the issue I put the portafilter on, then run the machine for 4 seconds, turn it off for 4 seconds, run it and pause it again, then let it run. It makes a very noticeable difference in the shot.

Glad to see another Ec155 user on the forum! Just proves it's all in the barista and grinder :D

Hope this helps,

~Nick

Edit: I seem to have read your post wrong, but I have not used a Preciso either so no difference. By the way, I count 28 seconds from when the espresso comes out of the basket, not when the pump is turned on. Also, I am using a naked portafilter and non-pressurized basket. Cheers

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ahavriluk

Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 2:32pm

Thank you Nick!
Can you explain, please, what is a naked portafilter and non-pressurized basket? And why they are better?
I am kinda new to this.

Thank you,
Alexander.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 5:53pm

Absolutely!
    A naked (or bottomless) portafilter doesn't have the hole/holes to distribute the espresso. The only practical use for them is to help view your shot and see where you need improvements (for instance, when the shot first starts the espresso may come out in a ring around the bottom of the filter basket; this means that the outside of the puck will have more water running over it, and it will be overextracted). In my opinion, with out the flow distributers (especially in the DeLonghi) the crema will be much nicer and last longer. This link will give you some great info on bottomless portafilters and espresso extraction in general.

The pressurized portafilter thing (commonly called a "Crema enhancer") has a few problems. Basically, you can't tell when you're making a proper extraction because it makes the crema look the same from shot to shot. It also hurts the taste of the espresso by sending it through some blasted contraption. The first thing you should do is take it off (quick fix here , permanent mod topic here). I hope to update that topic soon, it's been a while.

Some other resources to help you out in your journey:
Here goes a good part of you're weekend :) http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/university/training/
Dictionary of coffee lingo: http://www.coffeereview.com/glossary.cfm

You are in good hands at Coffeegeek, I've only been into this for about 8 months but the community here has taught me an amazing amount of info. I hope this can be of some help to you!

Cheers

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
clearvision

Posted Sat Sep 3, 2011, 5:50am

Hey,

I'm new to the forum, I've been lurking for a while but have not wanted to start a thread to talk about the EC155, it doesn't seem too popular here!

I am having an OK time with my unmodified EC155. Right now, i'm fairly happy with what I get out of the machine however I'm finding the length of the steam wand irritating!

I've seen a few posts around talking of replacing the froth aider with an acorn nut, but what I really want is to extend the wand. I've been looking at some videos of Pannarello wands (such as the one below) and it seems they fit onto the metal pipe of their espresso machines with a compression fitting. I figured that as long as the metal pipe on the EC155 was small enough for the Pannarello attachment to fit on, I may be able to get it to fit using some plumbers tape. Then the steam wand should be able to reach the bottom of my bell shaped pitcher and I have a chance at foaming a little better.

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

Am I wrong in thinking this could work? Anyone tried it? Anyone got any better ideas?

Sorry for this being a little off topic, but I'd liek to see what other EC155 users think!
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Sat Sep 3, 2011, 12:00pm

Hey Clearvision, and welcome to CoffeeGeek as well!
   I checked out the wand link. It is an interesting idea, but it still is a froth aider (apparently it can be modified to be a single hole wand). If you get one, let us know how it works here:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/522849

I must admit I rarely make anything with milk so I haven't looked into mods very much, but I have cut off the frothing aid of my machine.
That is my general Ec155 forum that I have yet to abandon, perhaps we can get more info on there. I will post some pics of my mods there.
Cheers,
Nick

ahavriluk

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 9:25pm

I was wondering... I drink coffee from 2.5oz coffe cups. The first few sips are kinda taste watery. Is it because of crema? Then it come really rich coffee after about half cup. Do you have the same experience?
Also, when I making a shot my ready light goes off in like 15 sec or half way through. But when I just drain water it can stay on until my cup is full. The machine is preheated about 30 min. Do you see the same?

Thank you,
Alexander.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 9:43pm

Hmmm... Regarding the watery taste, are you pulling your shots a full 2.5 ounces? The crema usually has some of the best and richest flavors; when I crave espresso, it's usually the crema I crave, not so much the liquid, even though I love that too.

If you are pulling a "lungo" shot, or over-extracting the grounds, the crema will taste watery, weak and slightly bitter.

I have a similar issue with the machine trying to cycle through my shot. Although it occasionally gives me trouble, this seems to help: When the light is green, I fill up my cup about 1.5oz or until the light goes out. Then I wait for it to cycle and the light to come back on. I then dump the pre-heat water, flip the machine nob to "steam" for about 10 seconds, and flip it back. I run it until the hissing stops; this means the water is just under boiling, about where we want it, which is as accurate as we can be with this machine. Then I lock in the portafilter, turn the pump on for 4 seconds then off for 4 seconds to "pre-infuse" the espresso puck, then turn it on until the shot is complete.

When the machine does try to cycle during the shot, you will notice a drop off in the speed of the pour. To my understanding this is due to some of the electricity being taken from the pump the heating element. It may take your shot a tiny bit longer but doesn't seem to affect the shot. Whatever you do, do Not turn the pump off while it cycles, then back on when the light goes green. This will surely destroy your shot for a number of reasons I don't feel are necessary to add, I've gone on for long enough.

I'm sorry that was so long-winded, hopefully it can still be helpful :)

Cheers,
~Nick

ahavriluk

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 10:03pm

I fill about 2 oz for 30 s measuring from the moment I turn on the pump. Remember I have the original unmodified machine. Maybe that part of the problem. I will try your method and report the results. Thank you for your time!

Thank you,
Alexander.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 10:27pm

Ok, sounds good. That could be the problem. Also, make sure your beans are nice and fresh from the roaster. Your grinder is more than capable for this machine when it is depressurized, so have fun!

Cheers,
~Nick

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.338184118271)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+