Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Delonghi EC155 and Baratza Preciso settings
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ahavriluk

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 10:43pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi EC155 and Baratza Preciso settings

I did try your method and the green light was all the time while I was making a shot. BUT I got much less of crema. It didn't taste watery anymore.
However, when I turned on to steam mode. I couldn't get the hissing to stop. When I turned into steam, the hissing started and then it turned into bubbling, like boiling water sound. So I just waited for 10 sec and turned back into coffee making mode. BTW, the manual says that we suppose to cool down the boiler when we switch from steam to coffee mode, otherwise it will burn the coffee.
I don't know... I still waiting to my grinder to arrive and I going to try it and see if it make any difference. At this point I don't know if this machine is able to get a good shot as designed. Maybe it make more sense to get a Gaggia Classic...

Thank you,
Alexander.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 7:11am

I did try your method and the green light was all the time while I was making a shot. BUT I got much less of crema. It didn't taste watery anymore.

Yay! Taste is all that matters, once you get the grinder you will be abe to get crema. If you were using pre-ground (or a cheap grinder), that can cause a lot of issues.

BTW, the manual says that we suppose to cool down the boiler when we switch from steam to coffee mode, otherwise it will burn the coffee.

Yea, this is correct; when the hissing stops, it means the water is below boiling. Ideally you want the water to be 200-207 degrees, and as the boiler draws water in the temperature drops. Don't heat the water back up when the hissing stops, just pop the pf right on there and pull your shot.

At this point I don't know if this machine is able to get a good shot as designed.

With a little patience and tinkering, you will get a beautiful shot, and at the end you'll be a better barista for your effort. I'd encourage you to stick with this little machine!

Cheers,
~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ahavriluk

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 12:20pm

Thank you Nick for your time! It was very helpful! My grinder arrives tonight and I will do more experimenting with the machine. It is point it is clear to me that the machine is not able to keep up the right temp during whole double shot (the green light goes off after about 1oz is pulled). Instead it produces more "crema" during the second half of the shot. The water temp goes gown and it makes more fake crema instead. That could explain the watery taste (more water on top of the cup).

I wonder if it's possible to adjust the coffee thermostat to the higher temperature... This machine has two thermostats...

Thank you,
Alexander.
ahavriluk

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 10:39pm

I have received my grinder today and did some test grinding to figure out the proper settings. At first I set it according to Mark Prince's review on Baratza Grinders for Pressurized Espresso to 12, F. It was too fine. I could get only a few drops out of it. It built so much pressure that when I detached a portafilter it burst grinds all over the machine and I had to clean it. Finally I was able to grind it pretty coarse - 21, E and get the double shot in about 30 s. In Mark's article it would be between Fine Drip and Normal Drip grind. I didn't get much crema from grinding beans vs pregrounded coffee (same kind).

I also did some measurements of the water coming out during the shot. I have a pretty good fast digital thermometer. In normal operation (preheated till the green light goes on) the water starts coming out at 205 F-207 F and it takes about 10s before the green light goes out. At that point the water is around 195 F. At the end of the shot it drops to 188-185 F. So it is obvious that the machine is not able to maintain the proper temperature during the shot. It is hard to expect more at this price point.
Then I tried Nick's method with some variations, water was coming at higher temp around 210 F and at the end of the shot it was around 195 F. So the green light indicator was on during the shot. Looks like it is calibrated to go off at 195 F.
I did measure the temp of only free faling water. The more accurate would be to put a prob in the backet with beans and measure the temperature there. But it's hard to do. I would assume that the coffee would "eat" a few degrees.

Thank you,
Alexander.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 10:57am

Alexander, thank you for posting your temperature results. It is something I've always wondered about, but as a poor college student I've never purchased a suitable thermometer.

The physical issue with pressurized portafilters (pff) is the pressure comes from underneath the coffee bed rather than the bed itself. When you get proper resistance from the coffee bed, you have the pressurization you need (hopefully ~9 bars on the pump) but the pressurizer then pressurizes that, putting too much stress on the pump for a properly timed extraction. On the other hand, when the coffee is ground coarser, the total resistance against the pump may be the right amount, but because the resistance comes from a pressurizer rather than the coffee bed the coffee won't be properly extracted.

If you want to try unpressurizing it (it is non permanent and can quickly be put back to its original state) check out this link: Click Here (protofusion.org)

I'm heading out for the weekend, so let me know how it goes and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
ahavriluk

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 11:09am

Thanks Nick, I knew about that link you posted. I want to try some experiments with finer grind and less tamping. Then I am going to try depressurizing it. But from the comments on that page I see that ppl had very little improvements and even worse results when with pressurizer.
Do you know if Krups basket fits without cutting off the bottom plastic part of portafilter?

That damn machine suppose to work as designed.

Thank you,
Alexander.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 11:52am

Thanks Nick, I knew about that link you posted.

Oops, forgot I posted that :) Sorry

But from the comments on that page I see that ppl had very little improvements and even worse results when with pressurizer.

Some may disagree, but I would argue the reason for this is the barista's true skill, grinder's capability, and coffee flavor comes through truly without the pressurizer.

Do you know if Krups basket fits without cutting off the bottom plastic part of portafilter?

It certainly does, but it has a fatal error in the funneling of the sides. Everything around the edge of the puck gets overextracted, and it seems like no matter what I do with that basket the espresso tastes lungo. The DeLonghi two cup basket (I think it is 606348 but I'm not sure) holds the same amount of coffee grounds, but it has a much better design and costs about the same.

Just a note, the best (still not what I'd call good) espresso I've had from a pff was at a LAvAzza in an airport where they didn't even tamp the beans... Maybe it helps, maybe not. Who knows? :) Many coffee shops with normal baskets manage to pull terrible espresso's due to the lack of the barista's talent, I'd say that pressurized shot was better then some non-pressurized shots from local establishments.

The machine works for the purpose it is designed for: providing mediocre coffee to unknowing costumers out of bad beans. But for us coffeegeeks, that's not good enough. We are willing to put in the effort to understand coffee and make a fabulous shot, but to give us that control we need to take some control from the machine. I admit that I'm pretty obsessed with getting a good shot, so I go a bit farther then some people (my room mates think I'm a bit crazy). If you're happy with what you are getting with the pressurizer, then that's great! I started using pre-ground coffee and the pressurizer, then moved on from there. Those first few shots can't even compare to my current ones, but it has been a long process. Do what you're comfortable with and I think you'll be happy. That's just my philosophical spiel :D

Cheers,
~Nick

EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 3:15pm

Nickfrogger Said:

I admit that I'm pretty obsessed with getting a good shot, so I go a bit farther then some people (my room mates think I'm a bit crazy).

Cheers,
~Nick

Posted September 8, 2011 link

Getting the best out of your kit is what coffeegeek is all about.  

Unless your room mates look a bit like Brad Pitt you are definitely not crazy. If they do look like him, then just remember rule number one -  You do not talk about Coffee Club...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 4:12pm

ahavriluk Said:

Thanks Nick, I knew about that link you posted. I want to try some experiments with finer grind and less tamping. Then I am going to try depressurizing it. But from the comments on that page I see that ppl had very little improvements and even worse results when with pressurizer.

That damn machine suppose to work as designed.

Posted September 8, 2011 link

With the pressurized portafilter I had the best results using a medium to coarse grind with essentially no tamp.

Thanks to mostly Nick's help I have transitioned to the depressurized basket. At first I was using a bodum bistro/hario slim grinder and could not get a consistent grind and always had to grind pretty coarse or the machine would clog. At this point I had the same opinion as you quoted; little improvements and worse results. However, I bought a gaggia MDF grinder and now my results are out of this world, 50 times better than with the pressurized portafilter. I encourage you to keep on going. As nick noted, this machine will give you great skills and is perfectly capable of a good shot. The only reason I'd upgrade to a new machine is to get something with a pressure gauge and a PID to make the process easier.

The best results I've had are with a la pavoni millenium 51mm basket from orphan espresso. The modification nick mentioned with removing the gasket doesn't come close to the la pavoni. I would also suggested to make the portafilter bottom less for the simple fact that pouring hot water over plastic cant help the taste. I essentially removed all the plastic but the bottom of the handle.
igotyofire

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 1:12am

I have been looking into this machine the EC155 as it seems very popular on amazon, I don't suppose there is a list of machines with single wall porta filters? doesn't look like this model has one
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372887134552)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+