Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
It has arrived - Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > It has arrived -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 37 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Will_H

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea Single Group Rebuild...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:18pm
Subject: Re: It has arrived - Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL!

IMAWriter Said:

Will, not to be critical, but I have to assume by your comment regarding how "tightly' you locked in the PF, that you may be somewhat new to the home barista thing?

If that's the case, we may have to also take into account your technique preparing your coffee ...dose, distribution, etc. Even, consistent Distribution of the coffee in the basket is probably the most important step in preparing the shot.
If I'm wrong in my assessment of your barista skills I humbly apologize!!

Will sir, I can assure you, when i first got my Anita years ago, my shot timings ...and squirts were ALL OVER THE PLACE! ;>D

Posted October 28, 2011 link

I can assure you I am not new to the Barista thing.  I worked as a tech years ago before the whole home coffee revolution started...been involved here and there ever since.  Do I know it all, absolutely not, and the more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know...will leave it at that.  There are basic assumptions made in replying to a post here, and my assumption was that when a person places a portafilter in the grouphead, that they do so in a manner as to complete the seal and remove a leaking gasket as a one of the variables discussed.  

There should be, however, a gap between the top of the puck and the grouphead screen on almost every machine I am aware of.  On some machines (older La Pavoni's for example) one can correctly dose and tamp but the clearance is so minimal that over-tightening will push the puck into the screen.  I don't know about the Breville DB, but it seems quite possible that the over-tightening could hit the screen and cause extraction issues.  Understand?
 View Profile Link to this post
lowellw2

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:57am

Well I gave up and returned mine. Again I think these issues will be resolved but I'm going to wait until after a proper solution has been made.  There is great potential in this machine.
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 4:45am

OMG....that's about the most painful thing that I have ever seen.  How can anyone take them serious.

hotwasabipeas Said:

Just uploaded on SCG website.  They have a detailed review - check it out: Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Posted September 30, 2011 link

Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 7:21am

canon Said:

OMG....that's about the most painful thing that I have ever seen

Posted October 30, 2011 link

Yeah, but I think you could say that about all of their videos
bamaster

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58 v2
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 10:03am

canon Said:

OMG....that's about the most painful thing that I have ever seen.  How can anyone take them serious.

Seriously?  I thought it was a pretty good overview of the device.  I have watched many of their videos and find them to be very helpful.  I think the commentary is a little silly but for its purpose, the content is there.  That said, I can't stand "shaky cam" anything.  As impromptu their style is, I would prefer they have the camera on a tripod so people can have a better look at things.

Tony | Houston, TX
Newbie. Don't you judge me!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 10:16am

bamaster Said:

Seriously?  I thought it was a pretty good overview of the device.  I have watched many of their videos and find them to be very helpful.  I think the commentary is a little silly but for its purpose, the content is there.  That said, I can't stand "shaky cam" anything.  As impromptu their style is, I would prefer they have the camera on a tripod so people can have a better look at things.

Sort of a Blaire Witch Project thing they got going on except for the runny nose.
espresso_drinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 1:39pm

samuellaw178 Said:

Actually, I am suspecting it's the grind setting issue, the Vario, not the machine. If you're using Vario with the timed dosing, I am guessing you won't get 100% coffee of your grind setting if you're in the middle of adjusting, unless you do a purge to get rid of previous coffee batch. For example, at 2S, you get a super fine coffee grind,and you got 15g out. But 0.5g of super fine coffee stayed in the grind chamber. Then you switch to 5S, 15g out. 0.5 of those are actually the super fine coffee grind, only 14.5g of those are the 5S grind. That's why you see the inconsistent flow pattern there. Also, if you have different coffee weight in the hopper that might exacerbate the problem. Single dose is probably the way to go.

Posted October 28, 2011 link

Based on your suggestion, I'm trying this grind method.

Hopper is filled to the brim with beans.
Adjust grind setting if desired.
Let the Vario grind for ~1 sec to get rid of what's in the chute and collect those grounds for later latte work.
Zero out the scale (accurate to 0.01 g) with my paper cup on it.
Grind into the paper cup 17g of coffee.
If I'm doing back-to-back shots w/o changing grind setting, I don't do the 1 sec flush grind.

I'm not sure if I've eliminated user error soooo... looks like I'm ordering another 2lb blue bag of coffee and
getting an Espro calibrated tamper.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 3:04pm

canon Said:

How can anyone take them serious.

Remember, Kat and Gail run a store - not a Coffee Consumer Reports professional evaluation lab.  It's therefore perhaps more realistic to think of an SGC video as an online version of a demo you might get in a good shop from someone who knows the machine pretty well.  

Since most people can't get face to face with all these machines at brick-and-mortar locations, these videos serve a useful purpose and satisfy a lot of curiosity about how particular machines run, sound and behave in real life.  It's also nice to get the key points with a minimum of hype and hyperbole, and viewers get the respect to make up their own minds rather than be pushed toward the latest hot release.

The folksy seat-of-the-pants discussions and oceanic camera style have become a trademark part of the schtick, and some take a sense of enhanced credibility from presentations that aren't so stiffly scripted with over-practiced gestures.  If they ever went to a slick and formal style, I suspect the old SGC would be missed.
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 7:01pm

TonyVan Said:

Remember, Kat and Gail run a store - not a Coffee Consumer Reports professional evaluation lab.  It's therefore perhaps more realistic to think of an SGC video as an online version of a demo you might get in a good shop from someone who knows the machine pretty well.  

Since most people can't get face to face with all these machines at brick-and-mortar locations, these videos serve a useful purpose and satisfy a lot of curiosity about how particular machines run, sound and behave in real life.  It's also nice to get the key points with a minimum of hype and hyperbole, and viewers get the respect to make up their own minds rather than be pushed toward the latest hot release.

The folksy seat-of-the-pants discussions and oceanic camera style have become a trademark part of the schtick, and some take a sense of enhanced credibility from presentations that aren't so stiffly scripted with over-practiced gestures.  If they ever went to a slick and formal style, I suspect the old SGC would be missed.

Agree completely.  The SCG team have fun with the videos and provide useful information at the same time.  Nothing wrong with having a sense of humor!  

SCG is local to me and I've been in the store several times to buy equipment and accessories.  They know their stuff and are generous in helping customers, even when the store is very busy.  So, don't mistake the lightness of their videos for a lack of knowledge.  They know the machines in detail and have a lot of expertise.
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto, Strega, S1 Vivaldi
Grinder: Vario, K10, K30, Tanzania
Vac Pot: Yama SY-8
Drip: KB-741, V60, Wave, CCD, AP
Roaster: 2 broken Hottops
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 8:53pm

espresso_drinker Said:

looks like I'm ordering another 2lb blue bag of coffee

What kind of coffee are you using?

Chris
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 7 of 37 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > It has arrived -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.550319910049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+