Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need of a good expresso machine!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need of a good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Thu Jun 10, 2004, 7:40am
Subject: Re: Need of a good expresso machine!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely need a machine with a 3-way solenoid. A lot of the time I make several shots one after another, and it is pretty frustrating to have all your friends stop that poker game, sit and dumb-look at your for some 30 minutes while you try to make one coffee after another without having coffee grinds exploding all over you.

I also need a mashine with good steaming power. With my Barista it take me a minute and a half to steam 8oz of milk. It is quite annoying, to be honest.

I looking into a solid machine that will be a workhorse for the next 6 years... when I am hoping to gather enough money to get one of them "big boys". Thus Silvia (although a big price jump) seems to be quite a worthwile investment. Any thoughts? Any of you who have experience with Silvia have any comments? Am I on the right track?

Ahh ... uhh ... umm ... yeah ...

I've had Silv since the beginning of this year and I've gotta say that if I were ever trying to make more than two coffees at once I would KILL for a heat exchanger machine.  Silvia's big(ish) boiler is not always a blessing.  If you want to make more than one double shot, and you're temperature surfing (if you're not familiar with this term, go and have a search for it), it takes for ever to cool down the boiler, then you've got to get it to heat up again ... then heat it again for milk.  When you go to steam, you've got to be familiar with the fact that Silvia produces either (a) useless steam or (b) abundant steam, and know how to get either.  You've got to have the grind and tamp spot on every time.  Compare this to a heat-exchanger machine, where you just walk up to it and make your coffees.  It takes about 1/3 of the time.  If you entertain at all, or just can't be bothered with all the ritual, it seems to me that the Expobar Office is worth the extra $200US. Buy the mazzer mini with it (you usually get a discount if you buy an expensive machine + grinder) and you'll never need to upgrade.

Anyhoo, that's just my $0.02.  If you take that from $AUD to $US, it's probably only worth $0.015 ;P

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
da_russky_007
da_russky_007
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia; Starbucks...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Black &...
Drip: Black and Decker
Posted Thu Jun 10, 2004, 11:38am

Luca Said:

if I were ever trying to make more than two coffees at once I would KILL for a heat exchanger machine...   where you just walk up to it and make your coffees.  It takes about 1/3 of the time.  

Anyhoo, that's just my $0.02.  If you take that from $AUD to $US, it's probably only worth $0.015 ;P

Posted June 10, 2004 link

I appreciate your input. I would definetely love to get the heat exchanger machine. Unfortunately, I am already blowing a ton of money of a machine. I can't really afford spending anymore, although I wish I could. I am just trying to tell myself that in several years i will be able to afford one of them big boy, and I will proudly place my Silvia in an honorable spot in my office at work. Ahhhhh.... Dreams :)))))))))))

-Yegor
 View Profile Link to this post
da_russky_007
da_russky_007
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia; Starbucks...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Black &...
Drip: Black and Decker
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:43am

hello everyone :)

i have just received my Silvia with Rocky today. as i am typing, by me faithfully stands that first good shot i have pulled from it.... if i were to sum up my experience with this machine and the grinder, i'd have to say... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahah (very expressive isn't it? man, i love english language)

at the same time, i'd like to say "shame on you" to all those who suggested that with a good grinder you could pull good shots on a Starbucks machine. I have the two machines sitting on the counter side by side, and Silvia beats the Barista in every category. (after this post I am going to go ahead and write a BAD review for the Barsita.... cuz that's what it is - a BAD machine)

I have brewed shots from the same beans on both machines. The Barista's espresso tastes... well.... bitter and nasty (even with the short brewing time and a replacement portafilter that starbucks sent me after supposedly testing it). You know I have to flush my mouth with water after that shot. yucky %P
Afer about 10 minutes messing with Silvia and Rocky, I pulled a shot that was smooth, sweet and tasty (no bitterness) - something Barista has never done in 6 months, i have been using it!

Somebody said that, provided with a good grinder one could get a decent shot from Barista. Well, with my old blade grinder (which doesn't grind near as fine as Rocky) I would choke the pump, I am not even talking about the grind that works with Silvia - that would definetely choke it. Actually even the Starbucks support people told me about that.

I have read somewhere that Silvia appears too demanding to some people. It think it's kinda silly. How can you be a true expresso lover and think that Silvia is too demanding. I'd think if you love the drink, you'd want as much control as possible over the extraction so that you'd get exactly what you want.

Anyways, I am just ecstatic about my Silvia/Rocky combo. It's just like a love at first sight ;) All you reading this, if you think you are serious about expresso, get Silvia :)))))) it a beuaty, eh? :D I like it so much, I have even included the picture of it.

-Yegor (Prooud(!) Silvia owner)

Here... do you like it? Now go get one of these :D (Just kidding)

da_russky_007: 01010108_low.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
brokencup
brokencup
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2004, 1:49pm

Yegor,

Good luck, man. It's a beauty. I hope it continues to bring you a lot of joy.

(BTW, you might consider leaving the portafilter attached to the brew group if possible. It takes a fair amount of time to get to thermal equalibrium. At least it does on my non-Silvia)

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need of a good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36819601059)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+