Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Plumbing Rancilio S27
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Plumbing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeedogz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 9, 2004, 6:57am
Subject: Plumbing Rancilio S27

I was wondering if anyone has plumbed a Rancilio S26 or 27 (or any other direct water connected machine) as a portable machine? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sean
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2004, 8:07pm
Subject: Re: Plumbing Rancilio S27

How about a Flojet system and bottled water?  I used one at the SCAA conference to run three machines for the consumer espresso lab and it worked great.  If you really want to see it done right, check out the thread "Wife says espresso machine out of kitchen or else!"

-- Dan

HB: Flojet.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TedJ
TedJ
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Valentina (Beauty!)
Grinder: MACAP M4/Rocky
Drip: TV
Roaster: HotTop/Mod
Posted Fri Jun 11, 2004, 9:36pm

Dan. you amaze me. :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
mikeW
mikeW
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: S20de2 / classic 1v / rex...
Grinder: rocky / RR45 / climax
Drip: bravilor nova
Roaster: sienna-r3
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 8:32am

Or try the cheap option.
non-return valve on end of hose in water bottle.

MikeW
HB

Posted Mon Jun 14, 2004, 5:56pm

mikeW Said:

Or try the cheap option.  non-return valve on end of hose in water bottle.

Posted June 13, 2004 link

Someone mentioned that option while discussing the setup of the consumer espresso lab at the SCAA conference.  I'm a teenie bit concerned that priming the line / running dry might damage the pump, even if it ran only for a few moments.  Admittedly, I tend to be overcautious and doubly-so when it involves expensive equipment that doesn't belong to me.  Being curious, I asked a friendly lurker who installs and repairs commercial equipment for a more complete answer:

Not all machines activate the pump when filling. Those that do work very well with this simple system as the Procon pump is designed to do just that, pump.  Machines that simply fill by water pressure will need the help of a bottle pump or standard Shurflo. This is another way of suppling the machine that makes perfect sense. The incoming pressure should be 22 PSI max and most line water pressure is significantly higher, so the pump could theoretically allow the solenoids to operate at a calmer pressure. The most important factor I've found in the success of this procedure is the addition of rubber o-rings at each water connection joint. If the machine gets air bound it could be a pain but I get very few calls because of it. If it runs out of water the exchanger will not flow but it will take quite a long time before all of the water will evaporate from the boiler. Hopefully the machine has a high limit thermostat though some do not. Again, this is a great way to make commercial machines portable for catering parties, nice and quiet and large enough to mean business.

A check valve is little more than a fitting with a ball inside that prevents water from flowing back.  Despite the reassurances above, the idea of running a rotary dry doesn't appeal to me (the sound surely wasn't nice when I did by mistake), so if it were my machine, I'd supply positive pressure.  If that wasn't possible, priming the line under pressure should be enough precaution, even for paranoids like me.  :-)

Also see "Question about rotary pump on pour-over Astra." for a related discussion.

-- Dan

HB: check-valve.jpg

www.home-barista.com
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Mon Jun 14, 2004, 8:55pm

Dan,
Your lurker friend suggests max 22 psi for a flo-jet system.  Do you know if this is true for plumbed in vibe pumps too?  I have mine set at 30, as I thought I saw that setting recommended here somewhere, but I want to be on the safe side....

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Mon Jun 14, 2004, 9:58pm

strugs Said:

Do you know if this is true for plumbed in vibe pumps too?  I have mine set at 30, as I thought I saw that setting recommended here somewhere, but I want to be on the safe side....

Posted June 14, 2004 link

Yes, same answer.  Being Mr. Cautious, I have mine set at 14 PSI.  OTOH, some routinely ignore this advice and run directly off line pressure.  Some machines won't complain, others will drip from the grouphead solenoid.  I can't think of an advantage of running it higher than the minimum, especially for vibe pumps, which are (technically) spec'd at zero positive pressure.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Plumbing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.468889951706)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+