Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Problem with Saeco Odea Giro
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problem with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mariog7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 8:25am
Subject: Problem with Saeco Odea Giro

I had this machine for about a month now, and it always made fine espresso.  But lately, no matter what I do, it comes out undirinkably bitter.  Just tried a new shipment of 4 day old post-roast Redbird and I can't even drink it.  I'm thinking bitter = too hot, but the problem is that this machine is a super auto and there is no temp adjustment.  Made sure everything is cleaned out completely, but still crap.

Any ideas besides sending the Saeco back for repair?

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 11:02am
Subject: Re: Problem with Saeco Odea Giro

mariog7 Said:

I had this machine for about a month now, and it always made fine espresso.  But lately, no matter what I do, it comes out undirinkably bitter.  Just tried a new shipment of 4 day old post-roast Redbird and I can't even drink it.  I'm thinking bitter = too hot, but the problem is that this machine is a super auto and there is no temp adjustment.  Made sure everything is cleaned out completely, but still crap.

Any ideas besides sending the Saeco back for repair?

Thanks.

Posted November 19, 2011 link

These machines are thermoblock based and famous for not getting hot enough. My guess in the difference in taste from what you'd been tasting earlier is bean age or grinder issues.

Give the beans 2-3 more days and try again, if you cant wait, try changing your grind finer.

I'm not going to spend lots of time describing my experiences with a Saeco super auto, which I did own, btw and didn't just taste one shot from. Let's just say they were mediocre at best and swill 99% of the time, regardless of beans, or settings.

Remember that the Maximum dose on these machines IE: 3 beans lit setting is around 9-10 grams ~ of coffee. So if you're expecting to yield 2+ or god forbid 4 oz of brewed coffee it will be over extracted and gross. Many of us are yielding 1.75-2oz with a dose of between 17-21 grams. This would be what some would refer to as "normally accepted brew parameters".

Hope this helps,
-James

Load and Lock.
mariog7

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 11:16am

Thanks for your reply.

So you don't think it is broken - this is normal behavior? I may have learned a costly lesson.  If that's the case, I'm going to consider selling it and buying a semi-auto (i.e. Silvia).

:-(
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 11:32pm

mariog7 Said:

Thanks for your reply.

So you don't think it is broken - this is normal behavior? I may have learned a costly lesson.  If that's the case, I'm going to consider selling it and buying a semi-auto (i.e. Silvia).

:-(

Posted November 19, 2011 link

No, I don't believe its broken. Not that I have proof of course, lol.

The idea behind these machines is that any "Joe Blow" can insert beans and water, plug it in, turn it on, wait for light to stop flashing, press button and voila "espresso". Except that's not truly what ends up coming out.

Also, the fact that literally a caveman could be given a semi-auto, quality grinder, and artisan roasted beans and fall ass backwards into better espresso has to be heavily overlooked for super-autos to make any sense whatsoever. They're harder to clean, harder to maintain and much less reliable. In the flavor department: Just. No. =P

You can do everything wrong and produce something that is at minimum on par with what the Odea Giro will produce if given even relatively decent equipment.

-James

Load and Lock.
mariog7

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011, 7:25am

I learned a costly lesson.  Saeco is on eBay and craigslsit.

Just ordered a Gaggia Classic and Virtuoso Preciso grinder.
crismih19

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 8:15pm

If you do long coffee, do short shots ~1.5 oz and then add hot water. it is easy to over extract and get bitter coffee.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problem with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377621173859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+