Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville BES900XL Best For Pricepoint
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
chasemonster
chasemonster
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011, 7:14pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES900XL Best For Pricepoint

Breaking!!! (or not)

Major U.S. Espresso Machine Dealers To Carry New Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine!

Seattle Coffee Gear

WholeLatteLove
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011, 7:28pm

Dave,

$1200 (well, OK, $1,199.95) is a difficult price point, and in that, Breville hit a niche -- seemingly providing more than any other machine at that price point, which is after all, populated only by HX machines.  IF you take the position that a DB is somehow better than an HX -- something rejected by most -- then the Breville BES900XLis "it" at this price.  Virtually all the other serious options at this price (+/- 10%) are HX models:  
1) the Bezzera BZ07 spm ($1,199.00)
2) the Fiorenzato Volante ($1,299 -- on sale), but this is a direct connect model which, naturally, limits its appeal for some.
3) the Nuova Simonelli Oscar ($1,050.00).

Now were it me making the purchase, quite honestly, I would probably buy them in that order, with the Breville ranked 4th.  But a) the concept of "cooling flush" is not at all intimidating, and is in fact quite easy, and b) EACH of these machines has a solid track record.  The Breville may indeed be a fine machine, but it's too new for ME to count on -- that is, I do not want to be the "guinea pig"; for $1,000+ (the "plus" being the grinder), I want to trust the machine . . . Breville has too much baggage for me to trust a brand new model right out of the box.  As I've said, a year from now and the story may be quite different.

davenfi22 Said:

So what ended up in the cup was decent?  What about the build quality? . . . in regards to the concerns around parts and connectors that are not metal, this seems to be of some concern, is it a valid one?

Posted November 21, 2011 link

Well, using plastic where others use metal is ONE way to keep the price down, but guess what I'd rather have . . .

Cheers,
Jason

There is no difference in quality in terms of what is in the cup between HX and DB machines (all else being equal).  OTOH, although the cooling flush is much easier to DO than it is to describe, "newbies" find the idea very intimidating.  Of course, driving a car is far more complicated, but you wouldn't know it by the way people obsess over it.  Nonetheless, for this reason, the DB may indeed be easier -- or at least, less intimidating -- for the proverbial newbie.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011, 7:48pm

chasemonster Said:

Breaking!!! (or not)

"Or not."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011, 9:20pm

TonyVan Said:

'Nuff said!  Over and out!  

Now Rob: will you let us go back to talking about great Yorkshire beer again?

Ah, would that I could.

Meanwhile, I hope JoelC rejoins us.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
joeldamianicigan
joeldamianicigan
Expertise: Just starting

Vac Pot: No
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 4:04pm

If only some of the electronics of the Breville BES900XL could find their way into a higher end "prosumer" machine like the Izzo Alex Duetto II or Rocket Giotto Premium Plus.  I like those machines a lot but they seem to be missing some of the little "bells and whistles" of the Breville BES900XL.  

Since the current Rockets are nearing the end of their life cycle I would anticipate a new machine to be released sometime soon.  I feel I need to hold off until then to make my first purchase of an espresso machine.  I really like the look of an E61 grouphead as well as the polished stainless steel casing.  The PID and menu system of the Izzo Alex Duetto II is commercial in nature and leaves more to be desired.  What I mean is that it's not as "user friendly" as the Breville's LCD and designed more for a commercial / "prosumer" application.  Plus, you could get burned if you're not careful with it's placement.

For most, what ends up in the "cup" is all that counts.  For me, the process of pulling the shot and the aesthetics of the machine itself mean equally as much.  I like the industrial look of the prosumer machines but wish they included some of the electronics that are geared to the consumer.  

Slayer espresso is supposedly coming out with a machine for the home.  Their commercial machine is pretty awesome as it incorporates a newer technology in terms of temperature profiling.  Perhaps they will release their machine around the time that I will make my decision...
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 4:36pm

joeldamianicigan Said:

... Since the current Rockets are nearing the end of their life cycle I would anticipate a new machine to be released sometime soon.  I feel I need to hold off until then to make my first purchase of an espresso machine.  

Posted November 22, 2011 link

Do you know something the rest of us don't?  Prosumer espresso machines are not like consumer devices that get replaced every year or so.  The prosumer machines have a very long life cycle.  Manufacturers like Rocket regularly improve their machines.  But, they rarely make wholesale changes.  As an example, the Giotto Premium Plus is based on the Giotto Classic that has been around for at least 7 years.  The Silvia design is over 10 years old.
joeldamianicigan
joeldamianicigan

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 5:49pm

dsblv Said:

Do you know something the rest of us don't?  Prosumer espresso machines are not like consumer devices that get replaced every year or so.  The prosumer machines have a very long life cycle.  Manufacturers like Rocket regularly improve their machines.  But, they rarely make wholesale changes.  As an example, the Giotto Premium Plus is based on the Giotto Classic that has been around for at least 7 years.  The Silvia design is over 10 years old.

I was told that Rocket should be releasing a new machine sometime in the near future.  Actually, Kat at Seattle Coffee Gear confirmed my notion.  Not sure how reliable that source is but with all this new technology (i.e. Slayer's machine) most companies should jump on the bandwagon and embrace it.

The Breville BES900XL is a nice machine but I'd probably only test it out for 90 days and then return it.  It's not something I'd really want displayed on my granite countertop amidst a Viking range and other high-end industrial appliances.  I've never seen the machine in person though, only videos and pictures on the Web.  The look of it doesn't impress me much.
rotwang
rotwang
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 8:39pm

Oy vey....again with the granite countertop!  Perhaps you should enter "granite countertop" in the "equipment owned" section of your profile and be done with it.   And it's the members here who are SNOBS!!!!!  Hilarious thread, 10/10, would read again.
espresso_drinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 8:58pm

joeldamianicigan Said:

The Breville BES900XL is a nice machine but I'd probably only test it out for 90 days and then return it.  It's not something I'd really want displayed on my granite countertop amidst a Viking range and other high-end industrial appliances.  I've never seen the machine in person though, only videos and pictures on the Web.  The look of it doesn't impress me much.

I'm a bit curious why you've taken such effort to find out what the machine is capable of doing
if you've already decided the BDB won't end up on your counter top due to lack of visual appeal.
It's not like this machine is the 599GTB of espresso machines where you can brag to others you've
pulled shots and steamed milk on a Breville Dual Boiler.... ?
joeldamianicigan
joeldamianicigan

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 9:21pm

It's features piqued my curiosity...
showing page 7 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.498053073883)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+