Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The ZP Machines "Nocturn" - New low-cost, high-promises machine
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The ZP Machines...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
synthsis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Cuisinart
Vac Pot: vintage sylex
Drip: pffft.....drip?
Roaster: not yet
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 8:20pm
Subject: Re: The ZP Machines "Nocturn" - New low-cost, high-promises machine

Well, yesterday after work I sat down and made the plunge, I'm officially a backer of this machine. I hope I can wait until March until it arrives.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ampguy
ampguy
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 9:26pm

very exciting project!!
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 1:11pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

I can't agree that they're useless, as impressions are impressions - they aren't commands, they're evaluations, observations. Jason is a well-respected individual in the coffee world, and only just recently resigned from the Barista Guild of America. His thoughts aren't pulled from the aether, they're informed by his own experience, his discussion with the two fellows who designed the machine, and their expectations and design considerations. Jason was actually pretty clear that his post was based not on performance, but on possibility. True, the idea of a $300 machine with good performance and PID control is not something to sniff at, but there will need to be real-world results before people clamber to open their wallets. Again, a more hands-on review will take place in a few weeks, to verify some of their claims.

Reticence is certainly valuable in this discussion though, as you're right, there isn't concrete data to go off of yet. I certainly haven't (wouldn't) recommended to anyone that they should fund the project or pre-order the machine on faith and prospect alone.

Posted December 13, 2011 link

Perhaps I am more skeptical than you are, but it just seems rather pointless to have a prototype that doesn't use the very thing (thermoblock) that is suppose to regulate brew temp and steaming! How can they even know their design is going to work if they don't have a working model to show someone like jason that has a lot of contacts with people and at the very least would lead people like us to back their company on kickstart.

I hope this thing works out, but my BS dectector is raising.

Less water, more grounds.
webjames

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 1:32pm

just a heads up there's also conversations happening at gizmodo: Click Here (www.gizmodo.co.uk)
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 2:09pm

Intrepid510 Said:

Perhaps I am more skeptical than you are, but it just seems rather pointless to have a prototype that doesn't use the very thing (thermoblock) that is suppose to regulate brew temp and steaming!

Posted December 14, 2011 link

Actually, that's a point I'm definitely with you on. Not having the final product, or even the functional equivalent of it, on hand when you're trying to secure funding is dubious. Granted, it's totally understandable in this case, as they're two guys with a presumably tiny production budget. Making claims is something anybody with a business plan has to do, as they're lost without strategic goals. But when it comes time to say "here's our plan, would you like to fund us?", most investors would prefer to respond "Sure, show us a working model!" Still, I suppose that's what will happen when Jason gets to test one in a few weeks, though it is well past the initial investment goal has been met. Moral of the story: Kickstarter is a hell of a way to fund a project, even without proof!
Intrepid510

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 2:54pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

Actually, that's a point I'm definitely with you on. Not having the final product, or even the functional equivalent of it, on hand when you're trying to secure funding is dubious. Granted, it's totally understandable in this case, as they're two guys with a presumably tiny production budget. Making claims is something anybody with a business plan has to do, as they're lost without strategic goals. But when it comes time to say "here's our plan, would you like to fund us?", most investors would prefer to respond "Sure, show us a working model!" Still, I suppose that's what will happen when Jason gets to test one in a few weeks, though it is well past the initial investment goal has been met. Moral of the story: Kickstarter is a hell of a way to fund a project, even without proof!

Posted December 14, 2011 link

Yeah I just find it dubious they don't have a working model to show people, given you can probably have paid someone to mill you your thermoblock. I also think the two hundred price point is low even for those back them now, I would assume that amount would cover costs of your machine and then leave a bit left over for funding. Those over the shelf parts are not too cheap especially the pump, even if bought in large amounts, which they must not be able to yet.

I feel like that gizmondo guy, intrigued, but willing to let other take the risk and have the reward if this thing works out.

Less water, more grounds.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 3:23pm

Heh, yes, I'm willing to let other folks act as guinea pigs on this one!

In other new, Jason Dominy followed up on his earlier post, addressing the skepticism surrounding his statements. Basically, he's withholding judgment too, and was only commenting on what was actually provided to him in terms of a machine, the thermoblock-via-Skype, and what he was told by the creators.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 9:22pm

Alright, looks like the ZPM guys had a successful testing session with Jason Dominy at B&B. They're apparently still waiting for a Scace II to test with, so these tests were carried out with a thermocouple in a bed of coffee, I believe, but the results look fairly promising. Jason posted some information and his thoughts, along with a couple of videos on his blog. The ZPM fellows also posted a Kickstarter update with basically the same stuff, but they included a graph of the temp curve (with no temp units?) as well. Since this is still the bench model, with the thermoblock hilariously mounted off the side of the machine, I'd still wait to see the production tests and data before dropping those Silvia pennies on this machine. $350 though, not a bad starting price point if it can deliver.

Also, gotta love the Coffee Kids charity auction! *See Jason's piece
ampguy
ampguy
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:18pm

one thing is that with the group isolated like that, the temps will be different than when the parts are more tightly integrated. Depending on the materials, bonding, and distances, the temps will change when the grouphead is attached, and measurement is on say the 5th shot in 5 minutes.

Not sure a scace will show much until the machine is assembled, and with the 1000W heating element.
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:39pm

From the blog, "Our ultimate goal is to get it down to a 2C drop over the course of the shot". So that's a 4F drop. Isn't that a huge temperature drop?
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The ZP Machines...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442795991898)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+