Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 128 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mdickneite
mdickneite
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 5:02pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

First, I want to thank everyone for this thread - it's been a fantastic education for me on this machine (of which I now own), and while I'm still learning I've picked up a lot of good info from everyone here! That being said, I'd like to stop trolling through the forums as an observer and finally start contributing to the discussion a little.

In response to CafeEspresso on the milk texturing I've found that too little milk is very difficult (if not impossible) to texture correctly, and I've found it unfortunate in learning that there is always a little waste. However, keep in mind that you are also adding some volume to your milk through the texturing process, so you actually are using and losing less milk than you think. Hopefully that offsets your woes a little :). WholeLatteLove has a video on YouTube which does a pretty good job at showing a few types of incorrect texturing, so at least you'll know what to avoid.

One nice thing about the BDB is that it does seem a bit underpowered in the steaming department, so you can practice getting the placement correct on the steam wand and any mistakes in placement within the pitcher are not quite as crucial because you have time to correct those mistakes.
 View Profile Link to this post
jvolkman

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 7:59pm

Hi all,

I've had this machine for about a week now. Breville replaced the first one due to the hot water dispenser dripping while steaming. Basically, if I have the steam wand fully open for more than about 20 seconds (i.e., while steaming milk), the hot water dispenser starts dripping about once every 10 seconds.

Well, the replacement arrived today and it also drips. It's definitely not a big deal, but Breville insisted on replacing the first unit.

Do other people experience dripping from the hot water dispenser while steaming? I'd rather not replace again if this is somewhat normal.

Jeremy
DanPK

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:54pm

Hi everyone,
I'll join the chorus of first-time posters appreciating the great info and seeking more information.  I have my heart set on a BDB (in large part due to reading this thread), but limited counter space.  Our cabinets are 14 5/8" off the counter; I see specs that say the BDB is 14.5" tall, but if that's rounded at all I'd be in trouble!  Would one of you fine folks be able to confirm that height?  And, in your experiences, would it be problematic to have so little clearance?  I'd be able to pull it forward to access the tank, but I'm not sure if heat loss off the top would be an issue.

Thank you all,
Dan
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 4:39am

cafeespresso Said:

Guys...I'm struggling with taming the steam on this machine. It has been the most disappointing thing about it. I'm only being successful doing a big pot (half full on the breville container that comes with it), but I usually need about 4-8oz at the most, and I hate wasting milk.

Great microfoam is a must for our daily dose of cappas.

Any links to instructional videos or tip bits would be greatly appreciated.

Posted December 16, 2012 link

FWIW I have an old ceramic pot that I have had for 25+ years that is about 1/3 the size (from an old Avanti set). I use it for milk on single shot drinks. Check yard sales? Look on line?

Check the "Milk Management video @ Metropolis.com".

For tips and "how-tos", check the videos at "Whole Latte Love", "Seattle Coffee Gear", and "Metropolis Coffee". Breville has some good videos also (e.g. Backflush).

Here is the URL for the Backflush video Click Here (www.youtube.com) (use the click here "tab")

Cheers,

Dave

Edited to correct typo and to add URL to Backflush video

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 5:17am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

FWIW I have an old ceramic pot that I have had for 25+ years that is about 1/3 the size (from an old Avanti set). I use it for milk on single shot drinks. Check yard sales? Look on line?

Check the "Milk Management video @ Metropolis.com".

For tips and "how-tis", check the videos at "Whole Latte Love", "Seattle Coffee Gear", and "Metropolis Coffee". Breville has some good videos also (e.g. Backflush).

Cheers,

Dave

Posted December 18, 2012 link

Dave, Thanks, I will check those for sure. I'm doing a bit better with the steaming, but there is room to improve.

After working with this machine for 3+ weeks, I have to say that Breville really delivered. After 7+ years with a HX machine, my espresso has improved tremendously. I'm getting very consistent results shot after shot.

The machine is easy to operate, elegant, solid and pleasing to the eye.

I'm keeping this machine, and I highly recommend to anyone on the fence. Would also buy again.
jvolkman

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 7:25am

DanPK Said:

Hi everyone,
I'll join the chorus of first-time posters appreciating the great info and seeking more information.  I have my heart set on a BDB (in large part due to reading this thread), but limited counter space.  Our cabinets are 14 5/8" off the counter; I see specs that say the BDB is 14.5" tall, but if that's rounded at all I'd be in trouble!  Would one of you fine folks be able to confirm that height?  And, in your experiences, would it be problematic to have so little clearance?  I'd be able to pull it forward to access the tank, but I'm not sure if heat loss off the top would be an issue.

Thank you all,
Dan

Posted December 17, 2012 link

I measured counter top to machine top and it's just under 15 inches, definitely above 14 5/8.

Jeremy
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 7:27am

Dan,

I just measured mine and it comes out at 14 3/4" from the counter to the top.
I can't see how you could get 14.5 out of it.

Also the top does get pretty hot, so that might be an issue depending on your cabinets.
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 7:39am

DanPK Said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you all,
Dan

Posted December 17, 2012 link

Dan,

JM2CW, but, if there is no way to fit it on the counter, would you have room for a small cart? I used that solution in an old apartment that had a minuscule kitchen.

I could roll it out of the way when not in use and also roll it into the dining area for table side service. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Dave

Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 7:49am

cafeespresso Said:

Dave, Thanks, I will check those for sure. I'm doing a bit better with the steaming, but there is room to improve.

After working with this machine for 3+ weeks, I have to say that Breville really delivered. After 7+ years with a HX machine, my espresso has improved tremendously. I'm getting very consistent results shot after shot.

The machine is easy to operate, elegant, solid and pleasing to the eye.

I'm keeping this machine, and I highly recommend to anyone on the fence. Would also buy again.

Posted December 18, 2012 link

lmao, there is ALWAYS room to improve! ;-) I agree, the machine seems, so far, to be good, especially at the price point.

After the factory warranty is up, I believe that I may do some of the "mods" that I have seen on the "Aussie" forums (e.g. Brass "bodied" valve  for the OPV, Gasket changes etc). That should make it pretty "bulletproof".

I have seen some "stirrings" about DIY de-scaling too. I have lake Michigan water that goes through a Pur filter before the BDB internal filter so, that should be a ways out. Time will tell about overall durability etc.

JMHO

Dave

Edited Typo

MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 7:53am

Jeremy,
I've been using boiler stream for preheating cups half filled with water I source external to the machine. Using the stream to bring cup water temperature above 200 F. So, far no sign of codependent dribble at the brew boiler water drop. Might this be caused by a softly seated valve vibrating loose?
-Chris
showing page 128 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.583038806915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+