Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 190 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 3:03pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

On a more positive note... my BDB experience has been wonderful.

Not a single problem in 495 days with over 1500 shots pulled.

Except some very nice cappuccinos.

biochemgawd: BDBcapp.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 3:06pm

biochemgawd Said:

On a more positive note... my BDB experience has been wonderful.

Not a single problem in 495 days with over 1500 shots pulled.

Except some very nice cappuccinos.

Posted April 14, 2013 link

Is this from an original machine and were any adjustments made since purchasing?
biochemgawd

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 3:16pm

:-) why, thinking of buying one?

seriously though, I have two BDB (one for work, one at home). Both were purchased in late 2011 on sale for $900, so they are likely relatively early builds. One had the OPV set too high (11.5 bar) and I fixed it myself in about 10 minutes.

Who knows how long they'll last - in the meantime I am very happy with my purchases.
bendavis78

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 3:52pm

biochemgawd Said:

One had the OPV set too high (11.5 bar) and I fixed it myself in about 10 minutes..

Is that 11.5 bar number when using a blind basket? If so, what did you set yours to? I've used a single blind basket and it goes to 11.25 bar.
biochemgawd

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 4:11pm

I set mine to 9.5 bar using a blind basket. Minor but noticeable difference in espresso taste.
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 6:50pm

I seriously applaud Brevilles dedication and commitment to customer service and the manner in which they stand behind their products.  My 1st machine suffered an unusual pressure failure after seven months of trouble free daily use.  The service department phone responses could not have been more professional or empathetic.  The replacement machine was in my hands in 4 business days.

It is very obvious to me that they are boldly going into a very high end market and that they are committed to keeping the burden of a fairly steep learning curve on themselves and not on the consumer.

I have the highest rated Panasonic plasma 3D/HD big screen TVs and their customer service is completely opposite that of Breville.  Panasonic gets out of their responsibilities and commitments any way possible and leaves their consumers holding the bag.  I can pretty much say the same thing about the way Lexus tries to screw consumers on known service issues and widely known design failures.

So, bravo Breville!  Keep up the innovations and the customer service dedication and you folks will be huge winners in the coffee game.
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:19am

biochemgawd Said:

I set mine to 9.5 bar using a blind basket. Minor but noticeable difference in espresso taste.

The setting of the OPV limits the Maximum pressure that the machine goes to with a "blind" PF (rubber blank e.g.). When the pressure get above the set point, the valve opens to "dump" the excess pressure to the tray on the machine (e.g. the clean/flush cycles).

You really shouldn't set the OPV max pressure much below 10 bar. Otherwise the valve will function on almost every shot (i.e. OPV set to 9.25 bar). That will, almost certainly, shorten the service life of the OPV and lead to premature failure. Mine came from the factory set to about 10.25-10.5 bar.

Now when I make a shot I adjust Grind and Tamp to get a 9.0 bar (ideally) pressure drop across the charged basket (ymmv). The OPV should not have to open to regulate the pressure. The operator sets the pressure through the adjustment(s) to the charge. If the pressure is too high (i.e. 10 bar) you have too fine a grind or too hard a tamp. Conversely, if the shot pressure is too low, (i.e. 8.0 bard) you have too coarse a grind or too light a tamp.

Cheers,

Dave

[edited for to too mistake]

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
biochemgawd

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 7:36am

That makes sense. Most of my shots are pegging the max - I'll have to adjust upwards.
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 8:16am

Quick question(s)...

For every shot I pull, my sequence is empty PF single shot (to warm PF), manual shot for extraction, single shot to cleanse group head (no PF attached), followed by a wipe down of the shower head. I don't do a backflush.

1. Is the lack of backflushing a problem? What damage/problem could I be causing?
  2. Given I'm running 2 blank shots (1 pre, 1 post), my shot counter is probably inflated. Is there any method for pre and post activities that doesn't cycle the shot counter?

Thanks!
Wayne
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 8:31am

If you hold down the single or double button (without releasing it) you'll get a flush @ full pressure and this isn't supposed to add to your shot counter. Also, aborting a shot before 7 seconds will do the same from what I've read here.

As far as backflushing goes- Somewhere here or at CS the word was Phil recommended doing a back flush at the end of a session. No chemical, just water. I see some grinds when I do this, so I assume it does something good.

That's my understanding of it all. :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 190 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400405883789)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+