Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 206 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 9:46am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

1stline Said:

From a technical perspective, it looks like they are cycling the pump on and off to create pressure profiling and control pre-infusion. How many start/stop cycles will the pump endure (meaning add to premature wear and tear)? I do not think they are controlling the voltage to the pump. If they are, how low can they go? I do know at 55 volts, ULKA vibration pumps will not operate.

Posted April 29, 2013 link

jim, it's certain breville isn't controlling the Ulka's output pressure by varying voltage.  These pumps, as you implied in the second sentence, are not very tolerant of varying voltage, that's why folks using Variacs (or worse: cheap dimmer switches), to attempt to profile the Ulka report less than stellar results.  it is much more likely that breville's controller is clipping selected apexes off of the sinusoidal A/C voltage to the pump.  I _think_ that's what Bill Crossland is doing, too.

unrelated:  I see the VST marketing machine has gotten it's hooks into the newbies again.

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 10:54am

carz07 Said:

hi im doing the weighting of the wet grams when pulling a shot
,y concentration in practicing on when to stop to hit the correct grams
now i fail to check the shot time
is there a way i can recall the shot time?

thanks

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Unfortunately, no!  Gotta be quick before it clears and note it.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 11:16am

dagoat Said:

sinusoidal A/C voltage to the pump.  I _think_ that's what Bill Crossland is doing, too.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Wow, technical stuff this CPA just doesn't get.  But thanks for sharing. LOL

dagoat Said:

unrelated:  I see the VST marketing machine has gotten it's hooks into the newbies again.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

I've recently returned from using exclusively the VST basket in the naked PF to the stock basket and spouted PF.  My technique has improved greatly since I first got the BDB so I'm comfortable that I"m getting good shots without having to diagnose each one as I can with the naked.

I notice that I can turn the grind a little coarser but little other difference beyond less spritzing when I don't have things just so.  The problem I have is the recommended dose from my chosen roaster is more often than not 20g which just won't fit very well.  The VST seems to hold that little bit more better, probably because of the straight sidewalls.  I have to reduce to closer to 19 which does change the profile a little.

Michael
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 5:28pm
Subject: RE: VST baskets

Peter, I gotta say the Breville 18gm baskets are excellent baskets. In many ways they are better than a lot of commercial baskets of the past. They are a STEAL for $9 a piece. I feel like recommending them to my wholesale customers.

Still, they are not as heavy and versatile as the VST baskets. When a roaster says his/her coffee is best at 20gm doses, 40gm shots (or whatever) then you just can't do that with the stock 18gm basket. You certainly can't underdose them much either. I can do 14gm in a 15gm VST basket and get good shots. Messy pucks, but excellent extractions.

Have you seen some of the baskets out there? They feel like cheap tin, the group of holes aren't centered and they are no where near consistent in size. When you have two or more groups on an espresso machine it is very important to have baskets that behave the same. VST baskets do this. And yes, we can taste the difference. Are they worth $30/ea (or even the $20 on sale)? That's up to you, the individual. If they last for years in a shop, then hell yes.

Like I said, I love the Breville baskets for what they are. They (and the dispersion screen) are very high quality, never mind on a machine in the 900's price range. They are good enough that they will never be the weak link in any given espresso shot. Unless you try to under-dose them :)

No, I don't own stock in or benefit from VST at all... I only make money from selling roasted coffee.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 6:12pm

selzoc Said:

Unfortunately, no!  Gotta be quick before it clears and note it.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

oh man, this should be 1 of the things they have to consider i mean, we dont just stick to 1 blend or 1 single SO, we explore different coffee and different roast, and sometimes checking the flow rate and weight just drives that "oh what was the shot time?" hehehehe

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 6:32pm

dagoat Said:

-peter

Posted May 1, 2013 link

I have noticed that to my taste preference the 15g suits me. but the single basket is too small and the double basket doesnt allow me to tamp 15g. so ive decided to get the vst (recommended basket than others) for its straight wall so i can tamp 15g.

the baskets hasnt arrived yet, so i will see how the shots are if im able to tamp 15g.

I have tried 16,17,18,19g at 195 but they are a bit bitter in gradual unlike the 15g that suits me best.

and since the mail can accommodate 2 baskets - i just took the opportunity i mean i have to ship those stuff here in the philippines, so you know what i mean. so was asking people here if anybody tried the 20g if it fits the stock pf.

occoffeefan

Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 7:29pm
Subject: Re:VST 20 gm basket

The VST 20 gm basket will fit the regular portafilter.  Currently I use it on the naked portafilter.  I have the ridged version and have replaced the Breville springs in the portafilter with Rancilio springs ( available from Seattle Coffee gear).  I snap the filter basket  in and out easily with this setup.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 7:48pm
Subject: Re: VST 20 gm basket

occoffeefan Said:

The VST 20 gm basket will fit the regular portafilter.  Currently I use it on the naked portafilter.  I have the ridged version and have replaced the Breville springs in the portafilter with Rancilio springs ( available from Seattle Coffee gear).  I snap the filter basket  in and out easily with this setup.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

nice thanks. so the vst 20g basket fits on a stock portafilter - this is confirmed thanks

pookguy88

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 11:01am

need some advice, I was just taking the tip of the steam wand off to clean/soak but I dropped it on my (tile) floor, doesn't seem to be any physical damage but should I get a new one just in case?
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 12:04pm

pookguy88 Said:

need some advice, I was just taking the tip of the steam wand off to clean/soak but I dropped it on my (tile) floor, doesn't seem to be any physical damage but should I get a new one just in case?

Posted May 4, 2013 link

Honestly, I'd worry about the tile before the steam wand. Just clean it off/out and see if it threads back on easily. The pipe that leads to the wand would be the weaker link in that chain. If it didn't thread on easily then I say get a new one.

Glad you found it. I dropped my screen screw into my disposal. That had me worried. Luckily it's magnetic and I had a little flashlight with a magnetic base to pull it out. The disposal was magnetic too, so that was a little more challenging than you might think.
showing page 206 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.541147947311)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+