Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Most reliable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
xlr8tion

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 6:51am
Subject: Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?

Hi!

My name is Greg and I am a long term CG reader; new member.

Just had my Gaggia Titanium crash(pump leak) after 3604 doses (2.25 yrs) and that was preceded by  Saeco Magic Deluxe and a Krups Super auto before that.

Machines in 9 years.

It is getting pricey to be dropping 1000+ dollars every two years so the question I have for the forum to opine on is....

What is the more reliable brand......Gaggia Titanium has been knocked (by the repair center in NC) as highly unreliable and my friend has a Jura C9
that he claims is bullet proof but I don't have 2400 to spare.

What brand has the lowest repair frequency and what is the forums thought of the best machine in the 1000-1500 dollar range.

We drink coffee 90 per cent of the time but the wife insists on a sleek looking superauto.

Thanks so much...

Regards.....

Greg
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 8:05am
Subject: Re: Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?

Greg, welcome to CG!

If you're a long-term reader of this site, you'll know that super-autos don't get much respect around here.  And -- no offense -- deservedly so.  This is Coffee Geek, after all, and a super-auto trades quality in the cup (which is where, for us, it counts the most) for convenience.  It's certainly a trade many people are willing to make, but rarely are they true "geeks."  

You already know about this super-auto from the 2011 CG Holiday Gift list.  While I have no direct experience with this model, I'm guessing that it's going to be "the lesser of most (super auto) evils."

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 8:18am

super-auto bashing aside, the more parts you have, the more likely something will go wrong. if you are looking for something more durable, look into commercial equipment. (super-auto or not) it will cost more, but might save money over the long term.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:34am

Bitches_Brew Said:

super-auto bashing aside, the more parts you have, the more likely something will go wrong. if you are looking for something more durable, look into commercial equipment. (super-auto or not) it will cost more, but might save money over the long term.

Posted December 15, 2011 link

^ This.  A superauto that produces god shots and never breaks down for cheap is a unicorn (i.e. does not exist).  If you want reliability then your best bet for mitigating breakdowns (the odds are highly stacked against you with a complex machine with so many moving parts) is to go with a better built machine using better parts and those come at the cost of a higher price tag.

I have no direct experience with any superautos but from what I've seen the Quickmill Monza seems to get favorable feedback.  However, it's well over the OP's $1,000-1,500 range.  Chris Coffee even claims that the Monza is seeing commercial use in a number of McDonald's locations in Italy.

You probably won't see much difference among the consumer machines in the OP's range as they're built to that price point.  Getting feedback on superautos here is going to be difficult as they're not popular as this is CoffeeGeek.  Good luck with it.

xlr8tion Said:

We drink coffee 90 per cent of the time but the wife insists on a sleek looking superauto.

If by "coffee" you mean "not espresso" then could you use something like a Keurig/Nespresso/Tassimo/etc?  They may offer better reliability for less cost than a superauto -- on the equipment as you'll pay a premium for the cups/pods.

xlr8tion Said:

It is getting pricey to be dropping 1000+ dollars every two years so the question I have for the forum to opine on is....

xlr8tion Said:

What is the more reliable brand......Gaggia Titanium has been knocked (by the repair center in NC) as highly unreliable and my friend has a Jura C9
that he claims is bullet proof but I don't have 2400 to spare.

Which is the lesser evil?  $1,000 every 2 years or $2,500?
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:42am

My real recommendation is to get a semi-auto for half the price, but if you must have a super auto, I'd give two options:

- Quick Mill Monza ($2595.00)

or

- Costco Saeco w/unlimited returns

Good Luck,
- James

Load and Lock.
xlr8tion

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:49am

Hey Guys...

Thanks for all the replies!

Totally understand the "superauto" no respect theory-I am not an afficianado I just don't want the hassle(I am lazy) of a Semi Auto.

Ironically...The Krups suggested in the CG 2011 guide has no removable brew group which seems to be a death sentence maintainence wise.

Regarding the Saeco Costco unlimited returns...Does that extend beyond the warranty of the unit?  Or are exchanges only allowed during the warranty period.

Thanks again for the info!

Regards....

Greg
xlr8tion

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:51am

Just for my edification...

Which is the best semi (bang for buck?)

Regards...Greg
JtothaR
JtothaR

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:59am

xlr8tion Said:

Regarding the Saeco Costco unlimited returns...Does that extend beyond the warranty of the unit?  Or are exchanges only allowed during the warranty period.

They allow unlimited returns as long as you are a member. There is no time limit.

xlr8tion Said:

Just for my edification...

Which is the best semi (bang for buck?)

I'd go with that new machine the La Nuova Era Cuadra ($995.00) from 1st-line plus a Baratza Vario ($460.00)

Load and Lock.
xlr8tion

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:26am

Thanks Jt....

I was checking Costcos return policy on electronics and I keep finding 90 days

Click Here (shop.costco.com)

If what you say is true then theoretically I could bring back a unit after 3-4 yrs and get a new one?

Please LMK as they just opened a Costco in town and I showed the wife a Semi setup (with grinder and scale) and she said better to be looked down upon than go through tat hassle...LOL.....

Thanks...Greg
JtothaR
JtothaR

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:35am

xlr8tion Said:

Thanks Jt....

I was checking Costcos return policy on electronics and I keep finding 90 days

That's on TV's, computers, and Cell phones.

xlr8tion Said:

Please LMK as they just opened a Costco in town and I showed the wife a Semi setup (with grinder and scale) and she said better to be looked down upon than go through tat hassle...LOL.....

As everyone here well knows, Super-autos are way more of a hassle than semi's could ever dream of being...

-James

Load and Lock.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Most reliable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.585139036179)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+