Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The ZP Machines "Nocturn" - New low-cost, high-promises machine
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The ZP Machines...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
aecletec

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 1:33am
Subject: Re: The ZP Machines "Nocturn" - New low-cost, high-promises machine

Not at this price point.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/155722
 View Profile Link to this post
ZPMEspressoGleb

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 2:56am

SteveRhinehart Said:

...Since this is still the bench model, with the thermoblock hilariously mounted off the side of the machine...

...Also, gotta love the Coffee Kids charity auction!...

Posted January 10, 2012 link

Yeah, the thermoblock mounting is a little absurd. The story behind that is while we've been designing the final machine in CAD, we've also been using the same prototyping frames to hold all our new internal revisions as we go through various iterations of the machine. The thermoblock that we have in there now (the one being milled in this video) is the very biggest one that we've made so far, and it is reasonably representative of what the production machine will have (barring minor changes that will have to be made when we start making the casting molds). It is also so big that when placed inside the frame, it had to be special mounted, and when we did that, we couldn't get the portafilter to lock in. So we ended up taking an impromptu trip to Ikea and buying some shelving to macguyver into a suitable stand.

The Coffee Kids thing was entirely Jason's idea, and something that we feel amazingly humbled and lucky to be able to contribute to!

one thing is that with the group isolated like that, the temps will be different than when the parts are more tightly integrated. Depending on the materials, bonding, and distances, the temps will change when the grouphead is attached, and measurement is on say the 5th shot in 5 minutes.

If anything, the results will be better once the t-block is inside the machine, as then it'll be wrapped up in a layer of insulation (and heat loss from the mounting points will be negligible).

From the blog, "Our ultimate goal is to get it down to a 2C drop over the course of the shot". So that's a 4F drop. Isn't that a huge temperature drop?

It's not exemplary, but it isn't horrible by any means. We've found Tek's 10000shots.com to be super helpful as a reference for the performance of other machines. Our eventual goal for the production machines is no drop at all, and the ability to set repeatable temperature profiles of whatever shape, but in the next couple of weeks our goal is to get it to be less than or equal to 2C.

Let me know if y'all have any questions I can answer!
CrookedChris

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:02am

Another thing to consider as it pertains to the temp control issue is the open source nature of the code. I'm an electrical engineer who's worked in control systems and has experience with PID controls for heating water for beer brewing. Today I use a 6 kW heater for my brewing needs but I've played with heaters as low as 1.5 kW (closer to what the machine will have) to heat up to 10 gallons of water. From these experiences I can tell you that, as long as the passages in the thermoblock are long enough, 1 kW is plenty of power to do what this machine will need to do.

I am a backer of the project and I look forward to looking into introducing feed forward control based on the temp of the water entering the thermoblock (this would require an additional temp sensor) and potentially mapping out different PID values based on the time into the shot and/or temperature of the block itself (the ideal PID values will change depending on the temperature of the thermal mass of the thermoblock).

The details of my thoughts aren't really the point though. The point is just that 1 kW is plenty of power and no matter how good Igor gets the temp control working before these machines ship, I guarantee that the community will improve the temperature control over the "stock" code. That's not a slam on Igor or anything, just an acknowledgement that a whole community of brains working on this will ultimately be better than one.
frank828

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 4:50pm

fyi, they added a couple new reward levels that are quite enticing.

they're bundling the 2nd batch machine and a baratza vario for 675 shipped.

i dont know how anyone is gonna wait that long for a machine though(est dec but probably later)
rimblas
rimblas

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 S
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR300
Posted Wed Feb 1, 2012, 2:43pm

Well, the project is moving forward. The money was awarded and the list of backers published.
They said they are still waiting on some parts for the prototype and testing, so we don't have new performance updates yet.

frank828 Said:

i dont know how anyone is gonna wait that long for a machine though(est dec but probably later)

Posted January 12, 2012 link

You're right.  I couldn't and I just purchased a used Pasquini Livia 90.  I'm not sure what I'll do with two machines, but still looking forward to the Nocturn.

jorgerimblas.com
GlennT

Espresso: Kraps Il Primo Steam Wanabe...
Grinder: Baratza Priciso
Drip: Aeropress & "Don't ask don't...
Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:50am

Since the first units were supposed to start shipping this month, I thought I'd bump the thread. Hopefully, we'll get some reports and reviews from early adopters.

ZPMEspressoGleb Said:

So as far as descaling goes, the thermoblock (which yes, is aluminum) isn't any different from a boiler. It just needs to be descaled periodically, about as often as you do on your current machine.

As far as customer service, we’re working on getting warranties for the machines as we speak. And know that you'll be able to send your machine in to us for service. We have designed the machine with standard parts, as you know, so the DIY community will be a big part of this. We are still small at this point, so we won’t be able to have dedicated repair facilities all over the country, but thanks to the simple design and use of of-the-shelf parts, we’ve made the machines to be as easy to repair as possible.

Posted December 13, 2011 link

I suspect they're underestimating the scaling issue. While feed forward systems tend to make me glassy-eyed, I certainly know that PID and other feedback systems are absolutely dependent on good sensors.
  • The thermal head will have temperature gradients based on water flow and heater power. Change the flow pattern, and you change the gradient, which changes the "meaning" of the temp sensor.
  • While I don't know for sure, I'm willing to bet that scale is either a lousy thermal conductor or a thermal insulator. Add insulation into the heat transfer path, and all the profiles go out the window.
  • Pressure control has similar problems because pressure drop increases as the formerly-smooth surface roughens with scale deposits. Restrictions in the flow path can really mess up pressure profiles.
  • They may be able to mitigate some of the scaling problems by having a relatively large ID and a longer flow path to assure enough residence time for heat transfer to take place.

Having managed service and spares operations on three continents, I know they're drastically underestimating the service challenges they will face. Fortunately, they have such a niche product that they can live with fairly narrow distribution channels that could be compensated for providing after-sales support & warranty labor (with parts provided by ZPM). They'll be shocked, however, how much they'll have to give away for service/warranty support.

Reading through their comments section, I saw nothing about UL listing. If they haven't already started that process, they are in for a painful and expensive surprise!

The geek in me is really excited by the concept of an espresso machine designed by engineers for engineers and geeks! They have some really cool ideas, and I hope their venture is a wild success.
StereoHeathen

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: "Starbucks" Baratza Maestro
Drip: Bee House, Clever
Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012, 1:15am

GlennT Said:

Since the first units were supposed to start shipping this month, I thought I'd bump the thread. Hopefully, we'll get some reports and reviews from early adopters.

Posted March 22, 2012 link

Keyword being were. At the time the list of backers was finalized, the estimate for earliest shipping dates was changed to May.
Two more months!
Craigo87

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione,...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Baratza...
Drip: Starbuck's Barista Aroma
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 1:12pm

So the first article I read about this machine dated 12/11/2011, indicated a price point of $300. In page 2 of this thread, we saw that the price had risen to $350. Now at the KICKSTARTER website click here the price has once again risen another $50 to around $400. Given the specs, that's still not a bad price point, but I wonder what it'll actually retail for once it finally hits the market.

The other thing that struck me is the lack of talk about steaming. I like my cappas. So good, sustainable steam is a must for me. Their so-called "fully functional" prototype does not have a steam wand. Therefore it cannot have steam capabilities and by definition be fully functional. Sure, the computer generated units have what appears to be a steam wand, but I suspect that is actually a hot water dispenser; but it may become a hot water dispenser. They do talk about steam wands in the Update section (see update #21). When I read about the type of boiler it uses, I was surprised to see that the ZP Nocturn will use exactly none. That's no boiler, zero, nada. How do they expect to create sustainable steam without a boiler chamber? Hmmm. Key word being sustainable. But hey I'm an engineer, and we often get accused of thinking too critically. If milk drinks aren't important to you, then $400 for an espresso only machine with PID shot accuracy is still not too bad. And you will probably be able to make Americanos too.

Regardless, I think this is a cool way for entrepreneurs to get a new business off the ground.

All the best to them!
Craigo
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 1:24pm

I hope they do it.  I believe that innovation comes from fresh approaches and I hope they can pull it off.  They got more backing than their wildest dreams so the demand is huge.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 1:34pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I hope they do it.  I believe that innovation comes from fresh approaches and I hope they can pull it off.  They got more backing than their wildest dreams so the demand is huge.

Posted April 11, 2012 link

they'd better do it!  my espresso dreams lie with that machine.  :P

but yeah, things look to be progressing well for them.  im really hoping to have it by june.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The ZP Machines...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.460308790207)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+