Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
Author Messages
bseiden

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 9:51am
Subject: Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler

Hi Everyone I am looking to upgrade from Silvia.  I drink Espresso and my wife drinks cappucinos.  Anyone who has seen both have any thoughts?  The Breville Appears smaller and maybe pulls more current, not a big deal, but something to consider.  I am looking at a used rocket vs new Breville.

Thanks Forum people.

-Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler

You haven't provided enough information for anyone to provide an objective answer.   Everyone will just tell you how great the machine of their choice is.   Based on previous postings like this, you'll just end up overwhelmed by all of the options being presented (Rocket, QuickMill, Oscar, Breville, Izzo).

I would recommend getting a better feel for your requirements and doing more research on the machines.  There are plenty of reviews of the popular machines on this web site.  It's your money.  The more knowledgeable you are then the happier you'll be with your machine choice.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 5:44am
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler

All I can add to the above, is that Breville has a very BAD rep for quality in the U.S. Other places, perhaps not so much but they are not a name plate of quality in the U.S. On paper it looks good and there are several members of the board who have them and are quite happy with them but I am not (will not) risk any money on them until at least the rep of the company is turned around (if only for this one machine) by this machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 6:16am

OK, let's take it from the top . . .

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Now, before the hoardes rise up en masse, let me say I completely agree that Breville is a company with -- historically -- a bad reputation, but I will also agree with Wayne that, "on paper (the BDB) looks good" and that "several members of the board . . . are quite happy" with their machines.  Personally, while I think early reports look good, I also think the "bloom is still on the rose," so to speak, and I will wait until this machine is on the market for a year or two before I would feel comfortable recommending it.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 1:21pm

calblacksmith Said:

I am not (will not) risk any money on them until at least the rep of the company is turned around (if only for this one machine) by this machine.

Posted February 7, 2012 link

+1

The price is attractive when compared to the Rocket comparable machines. Breville's marketing plan for the machine is exactly that people would mentally classify it with prosumer machines hence pumping it on the hobby websites. The problem is it's a consumer product though a nice one. The companies reputation and the fact that it is disposeable machnie fix it firmly in this the consumer class.  Make your best judgement and you may still arrive at the Breville but Be not decieved by marketing in any form.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
bseiden

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 2:58pm

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
     Answer:  Mainly straight espresso and Cappucinos, occasionally something more exotic, but maybe once a month.
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
     Answer:90% of time two double shots and milk frothing, nothing more.  When we have company possibly more, but not more than 4-6 pulls of espresso
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
     Answer:10-20 a week
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
     Answer:no Plumb in, must be tank based machine
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
     Answer: Only a 15 amp circuit, shares with Garbage disposal.
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
    Grinder is not included but I have A Doserless Rocky.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:04am

You will want to upgrade that grinder. Rocky is OK for a Silvia class machine but the Rocket will quickly show Rocky's limitations.

The rest of it, it looks to me, like you would we well served by a HX type machine, the mix of milk drinks tends to favor HX or DB  machines, once they are no longer the hassle to make that they are on a SBDU machine, I think you may just find yourself making more of them. Nothing wrong with that! I drink about 80/20, milk / shots myself.

Plumb in can be done with a stand alone pump and waste water bottle so if a good deal comes up on a plumb in machine, snag it! The ease of use with a plumb in.... even with a pump/waste bottle is so much higher that this feature alone ALMOST puts it in a different class of machine!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:35am

bseiden Said:

Grinder is not included but I have A Doserless Rocky.

Posted February 7, 2012 link

And the budget is . . . ???  ;^)

Seriously, as you've probably discovered, prices range from "less than a Silvia" to more than $10,000 -- even $20,000!  IF you can afford an HX, it will be a huge step-up from an SBDU, and well worth it.

bseiden

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:51am

Hi everyone thanks for the advice. I am looking to limit the machine cost to 1300. I am also concerned about ease of use and noise. The breville seems to be very well thought out,  but the rocket will outlast me.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 7:08am

Well, between these two -- as you have probably gathered -- I would pick the Giotto Premium in a heartbeat over the BDB.  I am guessing Wayne would agree.  ;^)  The Rocket may outlast you, but certainly you won't be worried about build quality!

showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.455742120743)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+