Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nuova Simonelli Oscar Owner's experiences/tips
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
samuellaw178
samuellaw178
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Sun Feb 12, 2012, 1:22pm
Subject: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Owner's experiences/tips

Hi all,
I realized there is very little thread about Oscar so here it is. Hopefully this will become a helpful knowledge pool for Oscar users. I will add more myself as time goes by.

I recently acquired a used Oscar. The machine had a small hiccup on the second day thus had a thorough breakdown/cleaning. So everything is good again and the Oscar is up and running. Getting into the innards of Oscar really had me learnt how well built the Oscar is. Everything is pretty rugged inside and totally contradicts its modest appearance from the outside. Coming from a Cremina that was so well built, this really means a lot. The only complain I have is that it's very compact inside and it's difficult to maneuver inside without taking off most parts. Also, most of the problems with Oscar I've seen on the net, normally are coming from the pressurestat and this is easily overcome by a commercial-grade Sirai pressurestat.

One of the well-hidden and exciting secrets of the Oscar, IMO, is the preinfusion. Pretty much, there's no final concensus on this aspect of the Oscar. Some claim that it has a 'mechanical' preinfusion, some say it doesn't. Well, from my experience, if you press the brew button half way gently enough, water will actually come flowing out, without engaging the pump. This is true even for non plumbed-in unit(mine). I have no idea how much pressure does that build up to, but it does wet the puck well enough to form some driplets at the bottom, from my limited experience.

The stock Oscar basket fits about 14-16g coffee but the one I've got was dented for some unfathomable reason. So I got a Espressopart HQ 14g ridgeless basket for about $7 and that works very well with the machine. Basically it's just a higher quality basket that resembles the LM style double basket that many preferred. It fits up to about 17g of coffee without touching the screen, but I suspect it could fit even more. I would recommend getting one if you like punchier shots or bigger latte. There is also other HQ baskets sold by Espressoparts, which is ideal if you're liking experimenting different doses up to 23g++ triple.

That's basically what I've learnt so far with the Oscar. As I said, I will add more when I have time and learn more about it.

My issue now is:

I was expecting a learning curve with the HX since this is my first HX machine. I've read a lot about the flushing etc. But, to my surprise, my machine doesn't have the flash boil even after about 30 min of warm up time(after releasing the vacuum). The pressurestat was set to 0.95-1.1 bar. Does that sound about right? Should I crank it the pressurestat up? As compared to Cremina, the shot quality from Oscar is light years behind. I suspect that's because I haven't learnt enough about the temperature management, as well as the minor quirks of the Oscar. I know there're some really experienced users out here, so I would really appreciate your tips/guide of how to maximize the potential of Oscar. =P

Maybe, to start it off, what pressure are you using and how long of a flush was required?

Here's a video of flushing after 30 min warmup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6cyNfUNaXM
 View Profile Link to this post
trb6
trb6
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ Auber PID and sc
Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Santos
Drip: aerobie
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012, 9:40am
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Owner's experiences/tips

i am replying about 6 weeks late because i just now caught this thread. i too have an oscar and i'm still experimenting with it. based on your video, i do believe that by increasing the pressure on the unit you will get better results. i upgraded to a PID'd Silvia and I definitely have had major improvement in shot quality and cappuccinos (mostly because I can steam milk simultaniously).

one note is that when you increase the pressurestat, you will definitely have to bleed a lot more water with your cooling flush. i have a temperature gauge at the brewhead which merely serves as a guide, and after increasing the pressure, i noticed it took the machine to a higher temperature after full warm up and took longer for it to fall into place. you will have to experiment with your timing, but i do believe you can get some quality shots from the machine with higher pressure.

best of luck,

greg
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 1:01am

How about a couple years later? Better late than never huh? How do you explain this: Click Here (www.zuccariniltd.com) Please note the second page from the end on programming pre infusion on or off. Perhaps this is only with newer versions? European versions? Also, BTW, the pre infusion "trick" does not work on the used Oscar I just purchased. If I push lightly nothing happens until I keep pushing and the pump is activated.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 7:56am

eastbaysanfranman Said:

Please note the second page from the end on programming pre infusion on or off. Perhaps this is only with newer versions? European versions? Also, BTW, the pre infusion "trick" does not work on the used Oscar I just purchased. If I push lightly nothing happens until I keep pushing and the pump is activated.

Posted February 18, 2014 link

I don't think this function was available in the older Oscars.  I know that my Oscar does not perform any pre-infusion or automatic dosing after trying both per the document linked above.

Oscars do have a slow ramp up of pressure, like all of the vibe-pump machines, so you can hit the brew button for 1 second and then turn it off.  Wait a couple of seconds and then hit the brew button again.  This isn't really a pre-infuse so much as a pre-wetting of the puck, but it does make a difference in extraction.
oofnik

Espresso: NS Oscar, Gaggia Factory
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 3:29pm

Just a note regarding the 'preinfusion' on the Oscar. It seems to be more a quirk of the a machine rather than a deliberate design decision. My machine exhibits the same behavior. This can be explained by the fact that behind the brew button sits a DPDT switch, essentially engaging two separate circuits, one for the 3-way valve and one for the pump (see electrical diagram). Pushing the brew switch only far enough to engage the first circuit means the brew path opens from the heat exchanger, releasing the pressurized water in the HX into the puck, without engaging the pump.

I haven't really played with this but it might lead to improvements in the cup if timed properly. Once I get my machine back in working order I'll run some tests.

oofnik: electrical.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370265007019)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+