Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 8 first page previous page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012, 4:29pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler

In before the thread gets locked...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 7:33am
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Silvia Rocket Giotto Prem+ vs. Breville Dual Broiler

No worries from here, I'm done, let the topic drift.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ccolton
ccolton
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Le 'lit PL53
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 1:32pm

Dear Ben,

If you read my posts, you will quickly learn that I am a newcomer to quality espresso and have relied upon the advice of this group to make decisions.  Aftre purchasing both a new espresso machine and grinder (and using FRESH coffee), I am thrilled with both the advice and my purchases.

Having said that, for the most part, I cannot comment on other machines except to say that when I saw the machines in person, they were bigger than I expected.  This pushed the Bezzera up on my list.    

So, you asked

bseiden Said:

If Anyone has thoughts on a great machine for 1200 or less Please let me know.

Posted February 13, 2012 link

This is the machine I bought:  http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/bezzera/Bezzera_BZ07_semi.htm

(I bought the Le'lit PL 53 grinder that suits me well too.)

This machine gets great reviews and meets your price range.  I love it - others may be better; I don't know.  I do know that the price was right for me and the size fit my needs.  I will also say that I like the look and actually prefer the levers to turning knobs.  It's a compact machine and looks great in the house.  I did not get the E61 grouphead that seems important, but the one that came with this machine seems fine to me.  I have been inside the machine and it seems well made.

Initially, I threw away so many shots that I could not count them all.  In retrospect, this was a function of two things:  user error and bad coffee.  Now, after about 3 weeks of making espresso with quality coffee, and with the constant direction of several members here, I can state unequivocally that making the decision to buy a quality machine was a good one for me.  I take very little credit for the final decision - I am just happy that I have my espresso machine.

So, take a look at the Bezzera reviews and see if it works for you.  I look forward to my espresso drinks (lattes) every morining.

Good luck,

Chris
ccolton
ccolton

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Le 'lit PL53
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 2:08pm

Here's one from 1st line that is refurbished:  http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=BZ07spmDEMO&type=store

$1079.

Chris
saoye1
saoye1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Premium/Lelit...
Grinder: Bezzera Obel DSQ modified
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 5:48pm

Now there's a brilliant HX alternative in the Bezzera for the price.  Good suggestion Chris.  A little bigger than the silvia but not too much bigger so maybe that's a plus as well if benchspace is an issue.  Note it is not a real E61 grouphead but I don't think you were looking specifically for an E61 anyway...so I think it's a brilliant option to the two already discussed.
sn_85

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 5:58pm

ccolton Said:

Here's one from 1st line that is refurbished:  http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=BZ07spmDEMO&type=store

$1079.

Chris

Posted February 14, 2012 link

I saw that but I wouldn't buy a refurb at that price since a brand new one isn't much more.  Consider that you have to pay for shipping on a refurb unit which is probably at least $40 bucks and you only get a 30 day warranty.  With a new one you get free shipping and 1 yr parts and 90 day labor warranty.  You save less than $100 (probably closer to $80).  Not worth it for a refurb in my opinion.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 6:51pm

Bezzera uses a dual cartridge, thermostatically-controlled electric heater to stabilize the group temp in most of their high-end prosumer and professional machines. It's an interesting technical system.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
caramelcrema
caramelcrema

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:23am

Not sure why everyone is getting upset with a guy excited about his new machine. You were all there at one point. I just got the BDB and it is very nice. It is my first prosumer machine, if you are willing to call it that. I was looking at the Giotto and am still wondering if I made a bad decision. I guess I was willing to take the durability risk to get cool features. Only time will tell if it holds up. By the time the BDB breaks, there will probably be a Giotto Version 5.
showing page 8 of 8 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.561507940292)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+