Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Lelit PL 041 steam want o-ring split
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit PL 041...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Orerockon

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012, 11:46am
Subject: Lelit PL 041 steam want o-ring split

Hello, the steam wand on my PL041 was loose for a month or so and has now fallen out. I followed some advice I found online and from there photos and instructions for replacing another o-ring on the 1st-Choice Equipment site and took the top cover off of the machine. The brass nut had come loose and has fallen off. Their instructions for replacing the other o-ring make it look like they are identical parts. They are hard plastic, not the silicone rings on the shaft but instead behind the brass nuts. Both are not exactly round, a section sticks out from the part. The ring on the steam wand has split, the other has not. My question is their part "O-Riing for Steam Pipe Frother Attachment for PL041 MC090 Le'Lit PL041- A07 21" the right part? And if so would replacing both while have the machine apart a good idea?

Is it worth purchasing the silicone rings just in case? And any other commonly needed parts? Also, does the 3 hole steam wand tip fit this wand? It is the horizontal swiveling type wand.
 View Profile Link to this post
regarton

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 10:30pm
Subject: Re: Lelit PL 041 steam want o-ring split

Hi Orerockon,

Over the last several months, I've made several repairs to my PL041, including the O-rings to the frothing wand (both internal and external). I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I did want to let you know that I have had pretty good luck with e-mailing 1st Line's tech support. Moses has been especially helpful in my case, sending me the part numbers and links for the repairs my PLO41 needed. The e-mail is address is techsupport@1st-line.com. I would ask about the 3-hole steam wand tip, too.

Good luck!

-regarton
Orerockon

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 9:59am

Thanks for that, I've been waiting for a reply for a couple days now. Do you remember what the part number was for the o-ring? I only see one that might be a match that is the number I gave above. And yes I am going to get the tip too! What other repairs have you had to make? I would probably get one of each part they have for the PL041 just in case. I want my cappuccino WAH!
regarton

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 8:23pm

I looked up my orders, and the part description for the o-rings I purchased is "Le'Lit Silicone O-ring 9.25x1.78 for Steam Wand to Steam Valve for PL041 MC044 Le'Lit PL041." Given the difference in the description, I wonder whether we are talking about the same part. The MC044 o-rings slide over the top of the steam wand, then the wand with the o-rings are then fitted into the steam valve. Finally, the brass nut then secures the steam wand to the valve. Like I said, I'm not an expert, so please don't take my word for it!

As for the other fixes I have done, I have replaced the 3-way solenoid valve, all the quick connects associated with this valve, and the PTFE tubing from the boiler to the 3-way valve. Hopefully, your PL041 will not need such extensive repairs. All the best!
siskiou

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012, 1:14pm

I found this thread during a google search, having a similar problem (steam wand connection nut coming loose, water leaking over the top of the nut, running down the wand, wand feeling really loose and wobbly).

After disconnecting the wand, I found one black o-ring. Should there be two? And if yes, where exactly should they be located?
And should there be some type of washer in the bottom of the nut holding on the steam wand?

I bought the Lelit used, and have the feeling this might not be the original steam wand.

I've written to 1st line, and am waiting on a reply.
Hours of online search has not yielded a single picture with o-ring location, so I was hoping to find help here!
Orerockon

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012, 12:30pm

Yours is like mine, and there was only 1 silicone o-ring on the steam tube wand. I got mine apart and replaced the o-ring but I don't see any way to tighten the brass nut that holds the steam wand in place. There is simply no room inside the machine for a wrench or anything else for that matter.  I didn't have to take the nut off in the first place since it had fallen off and the steam tube fell out. Has anyone done this and can you tell me how you did it?
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012, 4:37pm

There are 2 ways to tighten the steam wand split nut. First is to remove the boiler and do it ex machine, see http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/lelitrepair.html . The other way is to mutilate a 15mm spanner by heating and bending it, see pic.

Alan

alanfrew: spanner.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cbcb

Espresso: lelit pl41tem
Grinder: lelit pl53
Drip: starbucks
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 4:35pm

Please tell us about the advantage of the three tip wand.  I can't yet get microfoam on my pl41tem with single hole wand.  The cafe downturn street turns milk into this wondrous silky thick liquid with just a quick steam and I NEED to be able to do this!
Orerockon

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 8:35am

Wow lots of help thanks everyone :) I love the wrench idea, I did something slightly different. I cut a small gap int he end of the wrench with a hacksaw and slipped it around the nut. A little awkward but it worked. I did find the Lelit repair guide, it was helpful as well. I don't know how the 3 hole steam tube works yet because I may have screwed up my machine royally :( I have it on a timer so it's warmed up when I stumble into the kitchen in the morning. I had turned the timer to the on position to check out the repair (it worked great), but I forgot to turn the timer back to the auto setting, and the next morning the machine was still on (red power light was on) but not at all hot. I tried to turn it off/on, waited a day, no luck. I don't want to take it apart again until I know what to look for.

So does anyone have any suggestions for what to look for to get it up and running again? A fuse maybe or a connection? I checked the connections when I was finished and nothing was particularly loose or pulled off. I just roasted a batch of Waialua Oahu beans we picked up last summer and I am dying to try them LOL.
gaggia_fanatic

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:42pm

3-hole steam tip does not guarantee a better frothing.
You need to consider the capacity of your boiler, as it might not be powerful enough to pump out so much steam through 3 holes.

I suggest you keep on trying, practice makes purrfect.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit PL 041...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389863014221)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+