Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Seeking advice on selecting a coffee machine
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Seeking advice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 4:58pm
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on selecting a coffee machine

ocarolina Said:

There are people out there that like the convenience of an automatic machine.

Posted April 13, 2012 link

And for the people who place a premium on the convenience of getting something in the cup, rather than placing the premium on the quality of what is in the cup, there are a wide variety of super-autos out there for people to use -- both at the home or office, and in commercial environments like *$.

But as Wayne said, "that is not what we as a community place high on the list, or even ON a list."

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
satimis

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 9:20pm

Well, you could always stop using pre ground coffee and buy a good grinder.
There is NO way to regrind coffee and pre ground is stale long, long, LONG ago.

My old Saeco coffee machine came with a built-in grinder and a steamer.  It is a bean-to-cup model.  But I have to grind coffee beans and charge the ground coffee in the portafilter manually.  This is NOT a press-button model.  I expect to have a press-button model, bean-to-cup.  I'll brew the milk manually.

Super automatic machines have a VERY high maintaince cost, the better the machine the more or less better the break down rate but even the best super automatic machines break down at a much higher rate than even basic semi or full auto machines.

Agreed.  I have been informed by my son previously, the fully automatic coffee maker in his office always broken down.  He is quite amazed of my Saeco coffee machine which has lasted for 10 years.  (IIRC it has been broken down once. I got it repaired in the customers service of the agent concerned).  Now it is broken down again.  It would be difficult for me to get it repaired.  Saeco has been purchased by Phillips.  Phillips customer service will NOT repair the old model machine

The machine advised is NOT too much for home and you will get what you pay for...... more or less (see above statement)

Which statement?

Thanks

B.R.
satimis
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
satimis

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 9:33pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

- snip -
Stephen, do you mean "3-4," as in three-to-four cups?  Or do you mean "3/4," as three-fourths, 75%?

3 or 4 cups when I have friends at home.  It kept me busy, empty the portafilter and grinding coffee beans.  Lock the portafilter and brew the coffee.

Thanks

Stephen
satimis

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 9:52pm

ocarolina Said:

...... I purchased a Rancilio Silvia ........

Whether your model is same as follow;

Rancilio Silvia Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine
http://www.ranciliosilvia.org/

Rancilio Silvia Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine - An Overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEenWPrLQI

?

Full automatic coffee machine comes with the feature on taste of coffee, strong -> medium -> weak.  It is electronic controlled just pressing the button to select the program.  The machine will do it for you automatically.

B.R.
Stephen
satimis

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:18pm

calblacksmith Said:

-snip- you can not EVER get good coffee from stale beans ....

This is another problem to me.

Usually I buy 1 or 2 lbs coffee beans which will last a month here.  Blue Mountain coffee beans are sold in 1-lb package.  Kopi luwak is sold preground and packed in capsules.

I have been looking at Nespresso Coffee Espresso Machine previously;
Nespresso Coffee Espresso Machine
Click Here (forums.hardwarezone.com.sg)

But I don't like it is not flexible and versatile only for capsule coffee.

I would take a thorough consideration and make indepth search before move.

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:48pm

Stephen . . .

satimis Said:

Full automatic coffee machine comes with the feature on taste of coffee, strong -> medium -> weak.  It is electronic controlled just pressing the button to select the program.  The machine will do it for you automatically.

I get it.  You're joking, right?  Have you ever tried the adjustments you're talking about?  I will take the espresso that I could make from a Silvia any day of the week over what comes out of a Jura . . . there is no comparison vis-a-vis the quality.  Honest.

NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 1:51am

satimis Said:

... The model recommended seems overpower for domestic use ...

Why, not at all. It's far from being a commercial machine. Just prosumer with some of the best value for money. However, as you have probably found out by now, the general opinion on superautomatics is not very high on this forum, because the quality of the espresso is usually not the best.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

If it's convenience, you'll be on the right track with a superautomatic. But as Wayne said, they're high maintenance, can break down easily and have astronomic cost of repairs. Most of the time it's not even worth repairing them. Most models, even pricy ones, are more or less disposable. You're lucky your last one worked for ten years. That's rarely the case.

If it's great espresso you seek, you'll have to go through the pains of learning to handle a traditional portafilter espresso machine using freshly ground coffee.

Nespresso on the other hand is only an approximation of espresso, despite of what advertisements try to tell you. Sorry, Mr. Clooney!

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
satimis

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 2:01am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Stephen . . .

I get it.  You're joking, right?  Have you ever tried the adjustments you're talking about?  I will take the espresso that I could make from a Silvia any day of the week over what comes out of a Jura . . . there is no comparison vis-a-vis the quality.  Honest.

That was what I read on Gaggia Brera coffee machine

Gaggia Brera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9eKSp9-a0

Gaggia Brera - 1/3 - Introduction
Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Gaggia Brera - 2/3 - Making a Coffee

Gaggia Brera - 3/3 - Cleaning

B.R.
Stephen
satimis

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 2:31am

NobbyR Said:

.....  But as Wayne said, they're high maintenance, can break down easily and have astronomic cost of repairs....

Posted April 14, 2012 link

It is true.  I'm aware

This is the Saeco coffee machine I have;

Saeco_Coffee_Machine
http://ubuntuone.com/0l9LwyIxAVrPxTGlobvgz4

It is NOT working anymore.  When switching on the machine the light of thermostat detector popup immediately.  I can't heat up the machine.  In normal working the light of thermostat detector only turns on when detecting the preset brewing temperature.  

I'll try to repair it myself.  If the detecting component is broken, I'll remove it with soldering iron.  I fail to see I can get the right component to replace it.

I haven't got the wiring diagram.  But the wiring is NOT too complicate.  I think I can trace it.  Without thermostat the risk is temperature continue to rise.  I must watch it closely.  After brewing I must turn off the coffee machine immediately.

If repair failure.  I'll consider going back to semi-automatic coffee machine, similar to the broken model, getting a new one to replace the broken machine.  Its cost is NOT so expensive as a fully automatic coffee machine.

Edit:

IIRC the service charge imposed by the customer service of Saeco agent here was NOT cheap, costing about USD100 which was 1/4 (one-quarter) of the price paid for its purchase.  I have my old machine repaired once, 2 years after purchase and warranty period expired.

B.R.
Stephen
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 6:57am

Stephen, my final thoughts on the subject.

You have been, up until now, using a semi-automatic with a built-in grinder.  Most of us here would never recommend such a machine+grinder combination.

You are now looking at buying a super-automatic.  Most of us here would never recommend such a machine.

You've been using distilled water.  Most of us would never recommend using distilled water.

You are re-grinding previously ground coffee.  None of us would ever recommend doing that!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I'm not sure what you want or expect us to recommend . . .

Even so, Nobby has given you an excellent recommendation in the Quick Mill -- a machine designed for home use.  You've asked about a Jura 7.  That's a very popular home machine here in the U.S.  But you're in Hong Kong and I, for one, have no idea what is available to you in HK.

But I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers,
Jason

showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Seeking advice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.478535175323)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+