Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help dialing in new Brewtus IV-R
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help dialing in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
3DTOPO
3DTOPO
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 8:26pm
Subject: Help dialing in new Brewtus IV-R

Greetings,

I just got my Brewtus IV-R today. What a beauty!

But I can't seem to really seem to dial her in though. Right now I have it set to brew a double (14 grams Illy Espresso Medium Roast) in 20 seconds which weighs in at 2.5 ounces.

The shot is coming out more bitter than I would care for. The brewing temp is 199F. I am using 30 pounds of tamping pressure.

Since the shot is bitter, it seems like I have to either tamp less hard or go to a courser grind. But then the shot is poured really fast - like in 14 seconds and comes out too watery.

I am using my old Gaggia MDF grinder because I wanted to spread the cost of a new system over two months (makes it much less painful for me). So I plan on getting a new grinder - but that is what I have to work with now. The shot I described is ground at setting 7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 5:40am
Subject: Re: Help dialing in new Brewtus IV-R

Hello and welcome!

Congrats on your new machine, it is nice and I am sure you will enjoy it very much!

First out of the box, you will never get anything from Illy in the U.S. that even starts to resemble espresso, the beans are just too old to do much more than to produce a nasty swill, well in my opinion anyway.

Try beans from our list, there are more great roasters out there for sure but these are a great place to start as we have used them and know their product.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Buy FRESH coffee, less than two weeks from the day it was roasted, then grind and use it within 15 minutes of being ground.

Most of the people here feel that ESPRESSO ROAST coffees are roasted WAY too dark and you are tasting the ROAST not the beans in the cup. The darker the beans are roasted, the more they taste like charcoal.

Tamping is the LEAST important part of the process, just be consistent and you are fine. All you are trying to do is remove the voids in the puck and make it as consistent as possible. When you compare your hand pressure to the over 130 PSI of force the machine makes, you can see you can't even get close to the same pressure it puts on the puck.

14 g is the "standard" dose but I tend to prefer 18g in a double basket, personal preference. The rapid pull indicates two things, STALE coffee and not grinding fine enough.

Stale coffee will pull fast, like what you are getting. The MDF should be able to get you in the ball park but as you indicate, you will want a better grinder. Forget any number on the grinder, they are only a reference point for YOUR grinder, it is different for every grinder. If you are using FRESH coffee and you are still pulling too fast, grind finer regardless of what number is on the grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tegee

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 4:10am

3DTOPO Said:

Greetings,

I just got my Brewtus IV-R today. What a beauty!

But I can't seem to really seem to dial her in though. Right now I have it set to brew a double (14 grams Illy Espresso Medium Roast) in 20 seconds which weighs in at 2.5 ounces.

The shot is coming out more bitter than I would care for. The brewing temp is 199F. I am using 30 pounds of tamping pressure.

Since the shot is bitter, it seems like I have to either tamp less hard or go to a courser grind. But then the shot is poured really fast - like in 14 seconds and comes out too watery.

I am using my old Gaggia MDF grinder because I wanted to spread the cost of a new system over two months (makes it much less painful for me). So I plan on getting a new grinder - but that is what I have to work with now. The shot I described is ground at setting 7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Posted April 23, 2012 link

I have the Brewtus as well and I tried to research as much info as possible, especially for a DB machine and E61 brewhead.

I am the further from an expert on this subject matter and simply enjoy good espresso and coffee.  What I have found is I first pull a blank shot right out of the gate to get the brewhead at proper temp, I then grind 18-20 grams and use a VST 20g basket and tamp.  Next I install PF and pre-infuse for 5-6 seconds followed by a 26-28 second pull.  That is pretty much it..........

I do have it setup up on a heavy duty timer from 7am-7pm so I can pull shots anytime through the day, because it takes a minium of 25-30 minutes to properly get up to temp; which for me is set at 201 degrees.

I LOVE the fact that mine is fully plumbed to a water supply and I have the drip tray drain in a 2.5gl jub behind the cabinet.  Coming off a Gaggia Classic, this setup is an absolute dream.

Anyway.....I hope I answered your question.......HTH and enjoy your new Brewtus!
 View Profile Link to this post
flatsix

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Ceado E37, OE LIDO #036
Vac Pot: Espro french press
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 10:56am

I also have a Brewtus IV-R.  The goal is to dial in the grinder, not the Brewtus.  There's really not much to mess with on the Brewtus.  Sometimes I do a brief flush of a few seconds, sometimes I don't.  I set the temperature according to the roaster's recommendations, usually something between 198F and 201.  I generally start with the roaster's recommended dose, and it can range from 17 or 18g in a 17g VST basket to 20-22g in a 21g VST basket.  I use a Rancilio bottomless pf, and I tamp with a calibrated espro tamper.  For duration, again, I start with the roaster's advice. Sometimes it means 23 seconds from the first drip, sometimes 30.  I don't do manual preinfusion (which would be in addition to the preinfusion that always occurs anyway, right?).  The quantity in the cup varies, sometimes 1.25oz, sometimes closer to 2.  Just depends on what works best with the coffee I'm using at the moment.  

I'm on my third grinder with the Brewtus.  Two Mazzer Mini-Es, and for the last two months a Ceado E37.  I also briefly had a Rancilio Rocky.  The difference between what I was getting in February with the Mini-Es and what I'm getting today with the Ceado is huge, and I believe it all comes down to the grinder.  So look, save your money for a much better grinder.  And as others have said, only use freshly roasted high-quality coffee.  Check that thread of favorite roasters.  Good luck!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help dialing in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.494457006454)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+