Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Starbucks Sirena Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 44 of 44 first page previous page
Author Messages
jgunn

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 2:37pm
Subject: Re: The Starbucks Sirena Thread (and PID)

You're welcome, happy to share what I know.

(Sirena Williams, groan)

So, I can't say for sure what the exact modifications were because the machine was already in that state when I got it.  However, based on the brief mention in the SCG Sirena video on youtube (the one specifically about their refurbs, not the earlier crew review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Lyomhq92Q) it sounds like they are doing exactly what you did with the hose - re-route it to remove the kink.  Since the tube is plastic on the inside rather than copper, the heat of the water and the tight kink over time causes cracks.

Also from the video, with the steam knob, the stop that keeps you from opening the knob too far was coming loose, I guess they attached it in some way to keep that from happening.

The support folks there have been mighty cool to me via email and they sell parts - I bet if you emailed them, they'd tell you what they did to the knob in the hopes that they could sell you the parts.  ;)

As far as the PID goes, I have all the parts but it might be a week or two before I get a chance to crack it open again and wire it up.  I'll keep you posted.

-J
 View Profile Link to this post
lifecomm
lifecomm
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbucks Sirena
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 5:33am
Subject: Re: The Starbucks Sirena Thread (and PID)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info.  Yes, please post pictures of your work - lots! I would love to do this myself and any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  For example, what kind of PID did you purchased from eBay?

Thanks!  Tom
romberry

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 6:26am
Subject: Gasket replacement help?

Searching high and low for any tips or instructions on replacement of the brew head gasket on the Starbucks Sirena.  My nearly three year unit gets heavy use and the gasket is no longer sealing properly when the portafilter is inserted.  I've replaced gaskets on old Gaggia Coffee and Gaggia Espresso models, but it looks like the Sirena may require a different technique. Appreciate the heck out of it if someone can offer some input here.
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 1:54pm
Subject: Re: The Starbucks Sirena Thread

There's nothing much to it.  I replaced mine a few weeks ago and all I did was wedge a flat-head screwdriver carefully underneath the gasket and then slowly pried it up on one side until I could grasp it with my fingers.  Then I just kept pulling and using the screwdriver to give me more leverage when needed.  It pulled out in one piece.  I then cleaned the area where that gasket was very well and made sure it was spotless then I put the new one in.  Once it was mostly all the way in I then inserted the portafilter and locked it in as far as it could go to help push the gasket all the way into place. Take off the shower screen first before attempting to take the gasket out.

I'm curious on your machine where does your portafilter lock into place completely?  Mine locks in completely at around the 5 o'clock position, even with the new gasket.

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
romberry

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:48pm

hotwasabipeas Said:

There's nothing much to it.  I replaced mine a few weeks ago and all I did was wedge a flat-head screwdriver carefully underneath the gasket and then slowly pried it up on one side until I could grasp it with my fingers.  Then I just kept pulling and using the screwdriver to give me more leverage when needed.  It pulled out in one piece.  I then cleaned the area where that gasket was very well and made sure it was spotless then I put the new one in.  Once it was mostly all the way in I then inserted the portafilter and locked it in as far as it could go to help push the gasket all the way into place. Take off the shower screen first before attempting to take the gasket out.

I'm curious on your machine where does your portafilter lock into place completely?  Mine locks in completely at around the 5 o'clock position, even with the new gasket.

Posted April 27, 2012 link

Appreciate the advice. I was looking at the brew group and where the brew gasket goes in there appeared to be a lip that might interfere with removing the old gasket and inserting the new but short of disassembling the machine and pulling the boiler I couldn't see a way to get that lip out of the way. I take it from your reply that this isn't really an issue and I should be able to just carefully lever the old gasket out and work the new one into place.

As for where the portafilter locks, mine doesn't ever actually "lock" so I assume what you're asking is where it is when it is inserted, sealed and ready to brew. The answer to that until just recently was that the six O'clock position (straight out) was normal, tight and leak free when brewing even when I overtamped or had a new grind that choked/stalled the machine. But now I am having to push it over to at least the five O'clock position to get a seal and even then sometimes it still leaks.  

Really can't complain about the service I have had out this machine. I bought it as a refurb from that Seattle place for 149 dollars and in the near three years I've had it, it has probably averaged producing five to seven espressos or lattes every day. Wear is beginning to show in some areas like the aforementioned brew head gasket and also on the steam control valve (which now drips/leaks constantly when pulling shots whereas until just recently it did not.) So five+ espressos/lattes a day times 1000 or so days is 5k or more servings. Based on what I paid, that works out to about three cents each and that's pretty hard to beat.

Thanks again for the advice on the brew gasket. I'll get one ordered and see how it goes.
8pointer

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:43pm

Just come across this thread in a desperate time...

My Sirena finally leaks and after dissembling the machine I found a leak in the hose which needs replacement.

I just wonder what causes the leak and what action to take to prevent future leakage after hose replacement.

Was the stock hose prone to crack or it was more of a routing issue of the hose?

Any suggestion over hose replacement (ie: any other choices aside from direct oem parts)? Can anyone post picture of proper routing configuration?

Thanks ahead.
rktcyntst
rktcyntst

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: B-Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 9:36pm

Been awhile since I've had the Sirena, but you might find this video useful:

http://youtu.be/u0vZhzH-5X4

Additionally, Seattle Coffee Gear refurb'd and resold a bunch of these they acquired.  Might be worth contacting them to see if they can help repair.  Otherwise, you might get to be in the market for a new machine!!

Good luck!
twmv

Espresso: cuadra 2
Grinder: vario
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: technivorm
Roaster: hottop b
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 10:23pm

i recently got a cuadra  that i absolutely love but still check craigslist sometimes out of habit. i had never heard of  a sirena  but saw one  with four cups and two shot glasses for $30 and got it for $25 so i couldnt pass it up.  after running cafiza thru and descaling  i pulled a couple pressurized shots that i tossed then tamped a couple shots with the disc out. i was surprised how good they were. guess i will drain it and probably keep it for  one of my kids.  no telling how long it will run but its the best 25 bucks ive spent in a long time
elleelle

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 8:04pm

Hey all..  I know this thread is really old, but I thought I would chime in and ask for some help.  I just picked up one of these machines, used from a garage sale and it was excellent, but leaked from the portafilter, a bit.

I looked around and found that this was common with this machine and found a tune up kit from a Seattle based company.  The kit had a new filter, spring valve and a new gasket for on top of the portafilter.  

I got the kit and installed it with no trouble and now, when I fire up the machine, it flashes the blue water light at me.  The first couple of times I fired it up after putting in the tune up kit, it heated up as it should and then started flashing the light at me, when I pressed either of the shot buttons.  

Now, it does not warm up any longer.  

When I was cleaning it and had the spring valve out, I ran it under water and I fear that I damaged it somehow by adding water to the boiler when I should not have.  I tried my best to drain it by shaking it out and also, by leaving the steam wand open when firing up the machine.  This did drain a good amount of water, but did not solve the problem.   I am not in a position where I am not sure if this is fixable or just a large, odd shaped doorstop.  

Any help from you fine folks would be very much appreciated!
showing page 44 of 44 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377856969833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+