Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Strange Gaggia problem...
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Strange Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Nicko999

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Breville Smart
Drip: Moccamaster
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 8:41am
Subject: Strange Gaggia problem...

Hi all,

I have recently received my Gaggia classic, this is my entrance in to the world of coffee! I have also received a Breville Smart grinder, but, for reasons of stupidity on my behalf, I have to wait a week until I can use it!

I was getting rather frustrated watching my coffee corner going unused, so I popped to the shop to break the rules and grind a few beans in their machine, just so I could give the Gaggia a try. Unfortunately, as the machine pump came in to action, and the start of what looked like an ok shot began to emerge, espresso started squirting all over my kitchen!

I have cleaned the basket, and tried to reinstall it with no coffee in it, same thing happened. I have attached a video, although not the best quality, you can see what is happening. Anyone else had this problem or know what on earth is causing it?!

Thanks, Nick.

After edit...

The video file was too large. To explain where the spray come from: the spout from which the coffee pours, a literally jet like stream of water, firing upwards from either side!
 View Profile Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes

Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 8:53am
Subject: Re: Strange Gaggia problem...

Nick, can you post the video to another site like YouTube or similar site and then just post a link on this thread?  Are you sure that your portafilter is locking in place?  I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help you solve your problem.  Good luck.

Bill
Nicko999

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 8:59am

Good thinking wsikes! Click Here (www.youtube.com)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 10:32am

That is strange.  What does the flow look like with nothing in the head.  Does it flow normally?  What is in your filter?  Is there a pod set up inside or something else like a pressurized basket?  If you don't know just take it out and post a photo/video of it so we can see what it looks like inside the portafilter.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nicko999

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 10:49am

My terminology needs to be improved in this field! With no filter in the holder the flow is normal, the filter is empty when I took the video, although the same thing happened when filled with coffee. I have tried both the double shot and single shot filters, same result. This does lead me to believe it's something to do with the filters. Perhaps I will try soaking them in the cleaning agent I purchased, seems a little unnecessary to have to do this to new filters.

I should point out that I had tried the machine earlier and this problem did not exist then.

The photo is too large so here is another video link... Click Here (www.youtube.com)
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 11:14am

Nick, I can think of five possibilities...
  1. The holes in the filter basket are clogged and are allowing pressure to build up.  I doubt this is the problem as the opv should take care of this problem
  2. The machine is suddenly pumping at a very high BAR pressure, which again, I think we can discount this possibility.
  3. The opv is not working properly.
  4. The o-ring on the group head is either damaged or loose.
  5. The portafilter is not seating and/or is not locking in place.

I am thinking it may be one of the last three, but bear in mind that I am very very new at this espresso thing.

Bill
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 11:52am

Nicko999 Said:

My terminology needs to be improved in this field! With no filter in the holder the flow is normal, the filter is empty when I took the video, although the same thing happened when filled with coffee. I have tried both the double shot and single shot filters, same result.

Posted May 9, 2012 link

What you're calling the holder is the portafilter.  What you're calling the filters are the baskets.

Nicko999 Said:

I have recently received my Gaggia classic, this is my entrance in to the world of coffee! I have also received a Breville Smart grinder, but, for reasons of stupidity on my behalf, I have to wait a week until I can use it!

I was getting rather frustrated watching my coffee corner going unused, so I popped to the shop to break the rules and grind a few beans in their machine, just so I could give the Gaggia a try. Unfortunately, as the machine pump came in to action, and the start of what looked like an ok shot began to emerge, espresso started squirting all over my kitchen!

Posted May 9, 2012 link

Part of your problem is not having your grinder.  Without one you can't adjust the grind for your espresso machine.  How did you determine what the correct grind was?  Did you just use whatever the shop had their grinder set to?
Nicko999

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 11:52am

Thanks for the tips wsikes, I shall look in to these tomorrow. I had a feel of the O-ring for the group head, this seemed to be ok. The opv does give its little shot when I switch off. I shall look in more detail in to these things, give it all a good clean and check etc. This is very frustrating as I was hoping to be posting about my success with making some great coffee, as yet I can only get coffee on my walls, and they are not quite the connaisseur I like to think myself as!
Nicko999

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 11:53am

Haha, thanks! I shall brush up on these, at least I was understood :)
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 12:10pm

Nicko999 Said:

My terminology needs to be improved in this field!

Posted May 9, 2012 link

Maybe this will help a little bit...
http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/markprince/07-20-2004#1

I am still wondering if the portafilter is seating.  You might want to check to see if you are getting it tight enough and check for any residue on the group head and the rim of the portafiler.  Hopefully that is the problem, as it would be the simplest to correct.

Bill
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Strange Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.452049016953)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+